Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read a few threads saying that burning the bushings out is the only way. Well its not and it smells like shit. So here ya go

Tools you'll need:
Drill
Hole saws ( I used the Harbor Freight kit )
Saw Zaw ( Or a hacksaw )
Hammer
Flat Head screw driver ( that you don't care about )
Chisels
Punches
Bench vise ( or a big ass C clamp if you don't have access to one )
One tool that will help you but isn't needed
Air hammer

I'm not going into detail on how to remove the lower control arms and if you don't know how, get some help.

Step one: Find a hole swap that best fits around and inside the steel collar, and start drilling. With the hole saw kit I had, I had to flip the control arm over and drill both side.

After drilling out the bushing on both sides, you may have to use a hammer to knock out the bushing to make it look like this

This is the bushing removed ( notice the hole saw didn't cut all the way through )

After getting the bushing out your going to take a saw-zaw ( or a sharp ass hacksaw ) and start cutting the steel collar

You'll want to make sure you cut the steel collar all the way through ( I got into the control arm a little bit don't judge me )

Next take a shitty flat head screwdriver and start getting the steel collar to lip up and loosen up

After getting the collar to lip up, take a punch or a chisel and hammer away. Ok not really but start evenly hitting out the collar ( I used an air hammer )

Ok now after getting that collar out you get to do the fun stuff. Grab your bushings and start pressing them in, make sure you use the provided lube ( wear rubber gloves that shit is sticky as hell ).

You'll end up with this...

after everything is said and done. Well I hope this helps you fools out. Happy Modding!

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Nice writeup, i may actually try the ES bushings now. How is the improvement in handling?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I switch out all of my suspension at once ( had blown agx's and very old GC's and swapped them out for Nuespeed Koni yellows and Nuespeed race springs ) so all of it was major change. You can tell they are there though. Everything is more crisp. The only bushings that are stock still are the trailing arm bushings ( rear ) and from what I know you need a press to get them out, but as soon as I get them I'll update this.

Oh and side note GET THE BLACK BUSHINGS FOR A DD they have graphite in them so they wont squeak over time like the red ones will.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Where did you get the kit from and how much? Ive been hearing that the master kit didnt have everything you need

·
Registered
123 Posts
The only bushings that are stock still are the trailing arm bushings ( rear ) and from what I know you need a press to get them out, but as soon as I get them I'll update this.

Oh and side note GET THE BLACK BUSHINGS FOR A DD they have graphite in them so they wont squeak over time like the red ones will.
You don't have to press out the trailing arm bushings. You need to remove the rubber insert and leave the outer sleeve in (free of rubber). They are the hardest to press in (which can be done with a big enough vice) out of the entire kit as they are one piece of polyurethane not two like the rest of the bushings.

I work at a shop so I have access to a press with different bushing adapters. This is the best way to install the kit since you don't risk cutting into the control arm, which really shouldn't be an issue provided you smooth out the burrs afterwards.

I've got the red bushings and haven't had any noise issues over the last two summers of daily driving. I will be lubing them this year as everything is already apart, but it's really not much of an issue considering how easily you can remove and install them.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You don't have to press out the trailing arm bushings. You need to remove the rubber insert and leave the outer sleeve in (free of rubber). They are the hardest to press in (which can be done with a big enough vice) out of the entire kit as they are one piece of polyurethane not two like the rest of the bushings.

I work at a shop so I have access to a press with different bushing adapters. This is the best way to install the kit since you don't risk cutting into the control arm, which really shouldn't be an issue provided you smooth out the burrs afterwards.

I've got the red bushings and haven't had any noise issues over the last two summers of daily driving. I will be lubing them this year as everything is already apart, but it's really not much of an issue considering how easily you can remove and install them.
Truthfully that is the only one I cut into and not everyone has a press. I have one but I wanted to give these guys a nice do-it-your-self at home kinda of thing.

·
Registered
123 Posts
96azure
I believe you have to buy the trailing arm bushings seperate. It also doesn't include the bushings for the rear toe arms. I upgraded to the Megan adjustable ones anyways so this wasn't an issue for me.
Check out energy's website for the catalogue with all the info you need. They also have front and rear motor mount inserts.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I have yet to install them but these are all the bushings needed for a 5th gen base, which if I am not mistaken, should also fit on a 4th gen. Don't take my word for it, though.

16.7105R Trailing Arm Bushing Set Rear
16.3106R Control Arm Bushing Set Front
16.3112R Control Arm Bushing Set Rear
16.7103R Strut Rod Bushing Set Front
16.8106R Front Shock Upper & Lower Bushing Set
16.8108R Rear Shock Upper & Lower Bushing Set

I got them in a couple weeks from thmotorsports.com using coupon code 5offfive for $169.53 and I bought Prothane front and rear sway bar bushing sets for $8.05 a pair.

I'm looking forward to the benefits but scared to get them on the car! haha

·
Registered
46 Posts
Where did you get the kit from and how much? Ive been hearing that the master kit didnt have everything you need

No the kit doesn't come with everything, so it shouldn't be called a master kit Haha. If you just go look at the web site for ES you'll see what the kit contains and what else you will need for a complete ES set. I need to order up everything Lol.

On a side note does anyone know where do I get the bushings for the (I believe) front traction bars coming from the front LCA to the front of the car? I can't seem to find them.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No the kit doesn't come with everything, so it shouldn't be called a master kit Haha. If you just go look at the web site for ES you'll see what the kit contains and what else you will need for a complete ES set. I need to order up everything Lol.

On a side note does anyone know where do I get the bushings for the (I believe) front traction bars coming from the front LCA to the front of the car? I can't seem to find them.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2
Here you are my friend. They have an odd name so it makes them hard to find.

http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=16%2E7103

1 - 20 of 32 Posts