Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hiya. I bought this car on February 28, 2018 and I'm in the slow process of bringing it back to "fresh off the boat" condition. I'm the second owner, and I plan on keeping this car all original. I paid $2,873 with tax, tags and title. His name is Atreyu.

Engine/Performance
Stock B20A5
Stock 4AT

Wheels/Suspension/Brakes
OEM wheels
4 wheel steering system

Interior
Aftermarket speakers (installed by PO)

Exterior
Dealer-installed pinstripe
OEM spoiler

To-do
Rust removal
Paint

Featured on Regular Car Reviews in August 2018

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks pretty clean! Is the paint original?
It seems to be the original paint, if the pinstripe on it is any indication.

It is covered in little scratches and a few deeper ones here and there. Though in that photo, it looks great lol. I plan having at least a one-stage correction done to it, then applying a sealant. I'd like to keep the original paint in good condition but if it's too scratched up after correction, I might get it wrapped.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is it full stock ? If yes that's a nice one ! Good job !
Yep, completely stock engine and components. Most parts are still OEM.

Installed a Honda radio that was pulled from an '86 Civic. Looks much nicer and original than the old aftermarket CD player that was in there.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Atreyu wasn't compliant about shifting into drive/reverse today, even after driving 35 minutes to work. It was cold and rainy out so I dunno.

Still shaky after being warmed up too, and I want to get the motor and trans mounts replaced to see if that fixes it. But apparently, a new front motor mount for an automatic is $225 at the shop I take my cars to, lol. Just for the part! Maybe I'll space them out and get one done at a time. Total to get all of them done was like $945 with labor.

I will see if I can get to those external A/T solenoids and clean them. According to the service manual, they're right next to the auto transmission dipstick so that shouldn't be too hard to get out.

CEL was on today and I checked it when I got to work. It blinked 12 times in an even pattern. I believe this is indicating Code 12 EXHAUST GAS RECIRCULATION SYSTEM. For my own reference the troubleshooting for that code starts on page 11-211 of the service manual. I'll have to check it out later. My guess is one of the hoses is screwed up or the valve itself is probably clogged/bad. Too bad they're out of them on RockAuto :/

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
I am not real familiar with the codes and I think they are different for the 89 with obd0 and I have obd1 91b21a1 si. If it is the egr valve code it might just need cleaning or it could be more involved. The port chambers in the intake manifold might be clogged as well. Unfortunately these ports doesn't have access pop out plugs. If that is indeed the problem and I am not saying it is for sure. But other then maybe hot tanking it the only option for getting them clean is drilling several holes in the top of the manifold at what are pretty recognizable casting marks where they should be. Cleaning out the ports threading the opening for screw in plug.

As far as the motor mount you can get a good front one for $20 or just over new from amazon. This is the one between the engine and the radiator. You would need a floor jack to support the underside of the transmission or engine. I don't know if autos have a pan on my manual transmission it was easy. I just put it under the main body and where the main body bolts to the bell housing. But not under the bell housing.

You would need a 1/2" drive torque wrench. I don't know how accurate a loaner one would be but I think O'Reilly's loans them. You pay for it and bring it back unbroken and get your money back.

I did find it much easier to just go ahead and remove the passenger side radiator fan and shroud to get access to it. This required removing the upper radiator hose from the radiator. So you would have to bleed the coolant at the thermostat housing water neck with the inside climate control slid to hot. If you do this and have the radiator cap off while the engine is running and bleeding the system then have another person either in the driver's seat or window down where they can keep tabs on the engine temperature gauge so you don't overheat the engine.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
As far as the motor mount you can get a good front one for $20 or just over new from amazon. This is the one between the engine and the radiator. You would need a floor jack to support the underside of the transmission or engine. I don't know if autos have a pan on my manual transmission it was easy. I just put it under the main body and where the main body bolts to the bell housing. But not under the bell housing.
I can find ones for the manual trans, but not the automatic. Mine is automatic. It looks like there are some on RockAuto, but they don't say much about which part goes where...

EDIT: Never mind, I think I found them on RA. It looks like there is a front mount, rear mount, and a single trans mount on the left side of the engine?
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/honda,1989,prelude,2.0l+l4+dohc,1169793,transmission-automatic

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
Is the one your trying to replace bolt to the transmission and is by the underhood fuse box? That's what your link went to. I was talking about the one right behind the radiator and I don't think it is different from automatic to manual. The rear mount is and so is the transmission mount. I can confirm that part number later.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I found all three on RockAuto for the automatic transmission. I ordered them and I'll have them installed in about two weeks. I'll let y'all know if that helps.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Having the motor and transmission mounts, MAP sensor, EGR valve gasket, fuel pressure regulator, fuel filter, and coolant temp sensor installed. Then inspection.

They said the first and third injectors were leaking when they were inspecting it (they called and said they could smell a strong fuel smell and asked if I wanted them to investigate which I did as I could smell it, too). They also said that the second one was replaced somewhat recently. So I am having 1, 3 & 4 replaced and all of them are getting new seals. Since they are letting me split my bill into payments I don't mind paying a bit more for them to order those parts in... I'd rather get something like leaking injectors replaced ASAP than save a few bucks and wait.

He passed inspection and everything is installed, except the one motor mount. Jared (service writer) said it didn't fit. He said it might've been the wrong part. So I'll be returning that one to RockAuto. I'll get a replacement and get that installed, eventually... He said the old one was not torn or in poor condition so it would be fine to put it back in. Otherwise everything is good.

Drove him to work this morning. It doesn't shake anymore! No more bad vibes lol. At least, not any worse than any other 29 year old car. This is a huge improvement.

He did take a bit to turn over this morning (maybe two seconds instead of half a second, lol) but it might be the battery. I think it might be too small. I will look into how big of a battery I can put into him. Someone here mentioned it can take a larger one, but I forget the size they said. It doesn't seem to be doing that "vibrate to the rhythm of the turn signals" thing anymore but I'll keep an eye on it. No more strong fuel smell either!

I was contacted by Regular Car Reviews about the Prelude a few days ago. In talking with them, they said they're looking to schedule in May. I told them I'm planning on doing body work and paint after May, so if they want to see it before then, I'm free this month. But if they wanna see it all fixed up and new looking it'll be at least a month or two.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
New exhaust tips and clean throttle body.

Had fun at the RCR shoot! It didn't rain, and I made some new friends. Mr. Regular liked Atreyu a lot. The video should be posted some time in August, he said.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
So the EGR valve and AC have been replaced/recharged. Before I went on vacation, the muffler had come loose somehow so I also had the shop take a look at that.

The shop told me issue with the muffler was that the spot right at the back of the muffler, where the pipe goes into it, has crumbled away from rust. They said they couldn't really fix it because the pipe and muffler are a welded assembly and there's nothing to weld where it broke. It's not going to fall off, it's just rattling around where the weld rusted away.

Upon further inspection I've found the following:
The muffler on my Prelude is not the welded assembly that the shop thought it was. It is, in fact, a separate muffler and pipe. Probably because of the 4WS gearbox in the rear, that's my guess anyway. See below; a diagram of the exhaust system and a photo of mine. Notice how the diagram says "Optional" parts to the right, which also shows the difference in exhaust tips between the two models (the ones on mine are straight whereas the other has flared ones)... AA and AZ do not have this muffler in stock at the store so I will most likely be ordering from RockAuto. $40 vs $151 for a new muffler, plus less headache installing sounds good to me. Hopefully I can get that clamp off and hopefully the rest will just slide off. That's gonna be the only troublesome part.

I also called the shop and gave them the part number to see if they could possibly get it in before the weekend. Because if I order it online it will not arrive until Monday.

Just a note, the part numbers for this muffler and pipe are WALKER 18262 (muffler) and WALKER 43449 (pipe) with a 1 3/4" clamp to hold them together.

UPDATE: Got the muffler from RockAuto; the old muffler was hard to remove because the exhaust clamp would not come off, so we had to cut it. But the new muffler is on now, and it sounds like it should again.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Atreyu is in the shop now getting two calipers replaced. One was totally frozen/stuck and the other is going the same way. Brake fluid had high moisture content so I've had it flushed as well. I will replace the other two in the near future.

Once I get the Camaro sold, I will use that money to get the wheel arch rust removed on Atreyu.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Calipers are replaced and the car feels much better now. To celebrate, I took him out and got a couple of nice photos.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ordered a new radio. Got it for $106 with an eBay coupon, from a seller that refurbishes car radios. It's a refurbished, warrantied 98-02 Accord radio that uses the same plug as my current radio does. Warranty is 90 days but hopefully it'll last for the years to come.

Got some wobbling going on at low speed. Tires are probably out of round due to lack of tire rotation/alignment/balance. I am in the process of ordering a 4WS locking tool so I can get the car aligned. And I will have the tires checked. Will probably also replace the front wheel bearings and sway bar links as well, if the tires seem okay (as in they aren't the sole cause of the problem).

I'm looking at General ALTIMAX RT43 tires which go for about $73 a tire on Tire Rack. That'd end up being less than $300 for a full set. Gotta love having small OEM wheels = cheap good tires.

I have also been made aware of a car show called "RADwood" that is only for 80s-90s cars! I have purchased a ticket for Atreyu and I will be taking him to RADwood Philly on October 14th. If you're going, feel free to stop by and say hello.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Had a blast at Radwood Philly on Sunday! Met a lot of new people, hung out with some acquaintances and friends, and got to say hi to Brian from RCR.

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
Looks sharp!! Does your windshield and other windows have the factory bronze? It looks like it. I know some preludes came with that. I don't know what determined it. I have never read my brochures front to back to see if they said. But yeah if you look at windshields and 1/4 glass on rockauto.com they show a listing for bronze tint glass.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts