Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats up. i been on the site searchin round n i've haven't found nothin on a GSR or CRV B20 swap into a 91prelude. it has been said that this car is based off the civic platform n a way so i was wonderin has any of the swaps been attempted? i saw the H22 swap but its sits 2 close 2 tha ground n my opinion.

·
Premium Member
1,455 Posts
you havent been searching right. youve been looking for positive results, when all youll find is failure

·
Registered
375 Posts
Because noone is willing to fork out the cash to have the first set of custom mounts made. The chances of any of those engines fitting under the hood is not very good, have you ever noticed the backwards lean of the stock engine? that's to allow for an extremely low hoodline, I belive the 3gp has one of the lowwest hoodlines of any front engine car to date. The B20B/Z and Gsr both lean forward and there's just not enough room.

The 3gp is in no way, shape or form based on a Civic platform, have you ever parked the two next to each other?? The 2gp is fairly similar to the Accord of that era, but the 3pg is completely it's own chassis.

Either engine would be way cool to see in a 3gp, everyone here loves to see someone do something different with their lude, and because of the low aftermarket support compared to other engine platforms and chassis, pretty much everything we do to our preludes has to be custom, so unless you are doing 99% of the work yourself, you will never be able to afford it. So if putting a B20B/Z or Gsr in your lude is what really gets you off, go ahead and pursue it, I'm sure you will have lots of support from this community, just be sure to take lots of pictures along the way.

oh and IBTL BTW

·
OT HOMO
1,055 Posts
Because noone is willing to fork out the cash to have the first set of custom mounts made. The chances of any of those engines fitting under the hood is not very good, have you ever noticed the backwards lean of the stock engine? that's to allow for an extremely low hoodline, I belive the 3gp has one of the lowwest hoodlines of any front engine car to date. The B20B/Z and Gsr both lean forward and there's just not enough room.

The 3gp is in no way, shape or form based on a Civic platform, have you ever parked the two next to each other?? The 2gp is fairly similar to the Accord of that era, but the 3pg is completely it's own chassis.

Either engine would be way cool to see in a 3gp, everyone here loves to see someone do something different with their lude, and because of the low aftermarket support compared to other engine platforms and chassis, pretty much everything we do to our preludes has to be custom, so unless you are doing 99% of the work yourself, you will never be able to afford it. So if putting a B20B/Z or Gsr in your lude is what really gets you off, go ahead and pursue it, I'm sure you will have lots of support from this community, just be sure to take lots of pictures along the way.

oh and IBTL BTW
not just that but with all the work time and money isnt really worth the effort...and most ppl who are serious will just make the mounts and custom work....the only thing that would be a upgrade would be like a b20 block with a b16 head and gsr tranny and that deal will cost you more then a h22 and then you have to account for the custom work....so really in my opinion its not worth the hassle in a 3gp...

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
whats up. i been on the site searchin round n i've haven't found nothin on a GSR or CRV B20 swap into a 91prelude. it has been said that this car is based off the civic platform n a way so i was wonderin has any of the swaps been attempted? i saw the H22 swap but its sits 2 close 2 tha ground n my opinion.
can it be done? sure...with enough time and money.

is it worth doing? not really...unless you just have to have it.

priceless or worthless....it's still not likely to happen for 99.9% of the prelude owners out there.

when i get some of the other projects off the front burner, i'm going to build a CR-VTEC AWD, 4WS 3GP either out of my yellow 88 or my black/silver 89...but that's a ways off in the future.

·
OT HOMO
1,055 Posts
can it be done? sure...with enough time and money.

is it worth doing? not really...unless you just have to have it.

priceless or worthless....it's still not likely to happen for 99.9% of the prelude owners out there.

when i get some of the other projects off the front burner, i'm going to build a CR-VTEC AWD, 4WS 3GP either out of my yellow 88 or my black/silver 89...but that's a ways off in the future.
that will be sick as fuck once its done but i dont know how well you will be able to fit 4ws and awd or how nice they will play together but it would deff be sick

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
the problem with the 'normal' b-series (the b20b/z especially) is two-fold.

1) it leans the wrong way, making it a close to impossible fit under our hoods.

2) the only transmissions easily available are either rod shifted or AWD. our chassis can't really support a rod shifter (at least, the 4ws guys can't) and the AWD output looks like it's going to interfere with the steering rack x-member. you could yank the AWD part off the tranny, but then that one more piece of a lot of pieces to build for the swap.

and in the end, you have a 2L motor that has no interest in being strung out bolted to a transmission geared for much larger tires.....

....which is what you started with.

·
Premium Member
1,455 Posts
the only other 2.0L honda engine worth doing (thats actually possible) is the F20B from the Accord SiR-T. which, if i ever raise my lude back up or get another one, is gonna be the swap i do

·
Premium Member
16,787 Posts
Here you go, next time take a look in the FAQ's its all there:

14. B20B Vtec Swap -
B20B 3rd gen Prelude Conversion (
123)
Aussie Lude

a. Another B20B conversion w/video's running -
I am mad (
123 ... Last Page)
eulle

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Here you go, next time take a look in the FAQ's its all there:

14. B20B Vtec Swap -
B20B 3rd gen Prelude Conversion (
123)
Aussie Lude

a. Another B20B conversion w/video's running -
I am mad (
123 ... Last Page)
eulle

one is a 2 year old set of pics of an unknown car and members theorizing what must be in it.

the other is a 2 year old vid buried amongst pages of incomprehensible russian and english and a ton of now-trashed photobucket attachments.

you have to admit, neither of those threads are remotely useful to gauge a b20b/z in a 3gp swap. sure...they show it HAS been done....but they don't get close to suggesting how, outside of non-owners-but-thinkers taking their best guesses.

·
Registered
730 Posts
H22 FTW

My swap starts next month-i cant wait :burn:

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Be patient. I am in the works of doing B18C-R swap with full intentions of a "decent" write up and the possibility of mounts. I have to wait on a couple of parts, but I will be making a progress thread so you can see what I have in front of me, and so I can get input.

·
Premium Member
16,787 Posts
Be patient. I am in the works of doing B18C-R swap with full intentions of a "decent" write up and the possibility of mounts. I have to wait on a couple of parts, but I will be making a progress thread so you can see what I have in front of me, and so I can get input.
Please do a write up, the last guy who said he was going to do it, never did, and sold his lude or trashed it, one of the two and we all just waited for nothing.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks 4 tha comments, advice, n suggestions. i guess i must've overlooked tha f.a.q. i'ma take a look at it. i did notice that the stock motor does kinda angle back but so does the H22 n preludes i was thinkin that if u do somewat of a H2b set up sorta speak. i know tha GSR or CRV B20 will sit more of a str8 up n down but i think it'll b well worth it performanceaftermaker wise. i don't consider the H22 swap becuz how low its sits in the car n how close 2 the ground it'll b. wouldn't wanna worry bout bangin the oil pan erytime i wanna take it out.

·
Premium Member
16,787 Posts
thanks 4 tha comments, advice, n suggestions. i guess i must've overlooked tha f.a.q. i'ma take a look at it. i did notice that the stock motor does kinda angle back but so does the H22 n preludes i was thinkin that if u do somewat of a H2b set up sorta speak. i know tha GSR or CRV B20 will sit more of a str8 up n down but i think it'll b well worth it performanceaftermaker wise. i don't consider the H22 swap becuz how low its sits in the car n how close 2 the ground it'll b. wouldn't wanna worry bout bangin the oil pan erytime i wanna take it out.
Just so you know, the B series motors will sit just as low, so your still in the same boat as the H22. Especially once you get into making the rod shift linkage work in our chassis. Some more food for thought.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
the only feasible solution to the oil pan problem is the same solution honda came up with...specifically, leaning the motor back.

if someone would just come up with a way to lean the h22 block back like the b20a block is.........

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i'll be patiently waitin man for that swap until then i 'm jus gonna drop a B20 n it. i don't plan on gettin rid of the car no time. 1st car i ever wanted n i'ma try 2 keep it.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Just so you know, the B series motors will sit just as low, so your still in the same boat as the H22. Especially once you get into making the rod shift linkage work in our chassis. Some more food for thought.
thanx... i didn't really think of that. i was thinkin since tha GSR r as nearly as big n bulky as a H22 it might've not sat a low or require 2 lean 2 clear the oil pan. guess i'm jus gonna have to put a B20A in it 4 now. it originally had a B21 n it. so i guess jus give me all tha info i need on doin tha swap. i still have the B21 intake manifold, head, and 5spd trans. gonna be gettin a B20motor pretti soon. prolly n a week or so. plans r to boost n blow it up 2 see wats the max tha stock block can hold while i have another block bein built. let me kno guess. thanx alot guys.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts