Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recent had a connecting rod snap in my lude and I want to replace it. Not much harm has been done to the engine as the car was shut off right b4 the rod snapped. I've got a spare f22a6 engine laying around and was wondering if a rod from that engine would work for the stock b21a1 engine in my prelude?

·
Registered
680 Posts
no

use the f22a rods with the b21a pistons.

B21A piston diameter=3.2673-3.2678 in
F22A piston diameter W/ letter B=3.4244-3.4290 in
F22A piston diameter W/O letter=3.4248-3.4253 in

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK and any suggestions on how to get the wristpins out without damaging the piston I don't have the proper tool to do it with.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Just use the proper tools...

First, I recommend a machine shop if you have never installed (or uninstalled) pistons onto connecting rods. Things can get damaged in a hurry. Just take both sets of assemblies to your local machine shop and have them swap the B pistons onto the F rods.

If you really want to try yourself, trace 1/3 of the pistons curvature into a 4X4 block of wood, and cut out the traced area leaving you with a nice seat for the piston to rest in. Then Drill a hole in the bottom of the new piston seat large enough for the piston pin to freely fit though. This new "special tool" will hold the piston during pin removal and help to prevent damage to the ring lands in the piston. Spray the piston pin with penetrating lube and ensure the piston moves freely on the pin and there is no carbon build up in the pin bore or on the pin between the piston and connecting rod. Place the piston in the wood seat and shim the large end of the con-rod on your work surface until the piston sits flat in the wood from bottom of skirt to the piston head. With a torch (something hotter than butane or propane) heat the small end of the con-rod until near red hot and use the proper press driver and the press (in this case probably a deep socket and hammer, but this usually causes damage to the ring lands) to push the pin out. Once you have the pistons and rods separate, putt the pins in the freezer over night. Lube the pin bore in the pistons with clean engine oil and heat the small end of the con-rod to red hot. While the rod is red, place it into the piston and drop the frozen pins into place. If everything was done right, you will install the pins using your bare hands and moderate pressure. Remember the pistons and rods go together only one way. The pin bore is slightly off center based on engine rotation and if you get it backwards you will cause piston slap, premature cylinder wear and even pin seizure. And also make sure the pin is centered in the rod before the two lock together.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK il probly try it myself 1st. Not too worried about the pistons from the f22 right now. But if I can't get it itl have to go to a machine shop like u said. Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts