Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does any body know how to clear codes from the ECU. i have done everything disconnect the batterie, pull the clock fuse, hazard fuse. i dont know what else to do, please help!!!

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Well first you have to fix whatever is throwing the code. Then disconnecting the battery for a few minutes will take care of it.

·
Registered
331 Posts
um, wouldn't that mean your still having a problem with whatever code it was?

·
Registered
159 Posts
disconnect the battery for full deletion
-or-
drive and throw it in nuetral and turn the car off (while still rolling) wait couple seconds and restart. only if problem is fixed. it will just come back on if something is still wrong.

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
the post right above me is totally wrong. nobody listen to him. not only is it wrong, but that way can also kill you.

you need to fix whatever is throwing the code first before attempting to clear the codes. otherwise no matter how many times you reset the ecu the code will come right back the next time you turn the ignition on and/or start the car. the code will never go away until you fix the problems first

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Depending on how fast you're going, loss of power steering and brake boost can cause fatal error in accident avoidance. Also, someone not used to pulling a maneuver like this could actually take the key OUT of the ignition, which will lock up the steering wheel, certain death!

Of course, with the key left in, any car with power assisted brakes and steering retains pressure/vacuum for long enough for a complete stop and a couple turns or so. Have done this many times when low on fuel to just coast on into the gas station after the engine died miles ago uphill :) But don't DON'T don't try it on a crowded road with high-speed (>20mph) traffic. Practice in an EMPTY parking lot if you must, I think it's a vital knowledge to be able to stop/control one's car if the power assist dies.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts