Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 98 Prelude Type SH (built in Canada) and it has what looks like the JDM honda emblems. The guy that sold it to me said they were the original emblems that came on the type SH's. If anyone could tell me what front/rear honda emblems came on it when it was first built, and also if it had the prelude letters on the back and/or an emblem in the front grill (if so what emblem, prelude or atts). I've been trying to figure it out for quite some time because my emblems are cracked and peeling off, and there is no prelude letters on the back. I have the straight line looking grill, not the honey comb one that comes on the 99's and up if that helps. Thanks.

·
Administrator
10,804 Posts
I have a 98 Prelude Type SH (built in Canada) and it has what looks like the JDM honda emblems. The guy that sold it to me said they were the original emblems that came on the type SH's. If anyone could tell me what front/rear honda emblems came on it when it was first built, and also if it had the prelude letters on the back and/or an emblem in the front grill (if so what emblem, prelude or atts). I've been trying to figure it out for quite some time because my emblems are cracked and peeling off, and there is no prelude letters on the back. I have the straight line looking grill, not the honey comb one that comes on the 99's and up if that helps. Thanks.

97/98 5th gens did not come with any emblem on the grill. The slotted grill as you have is what came with those specific years.

The honeycomb grill came on 99-01 5th gens as you mentioned. So your grill is correct.

Usually all 5th gens have "PRELUDE" on the center/upper most portion of the rear bumper - just beneath the trunk. But most end up removing it.

Silver "H" badge on the nose of the hood and one on the center of the trunk
As well as "type SH on the top right corner of the trunk and Vtec on the top left of the trunk are the normal badges.

Are you saying you have the red backed "H" badges on your car?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
97/98 5th gens did not come with any emblem on the grill. The slotted grill as you have is what came with those specific years.

The honeycomb grill came on 99-01 5th gens as you mentioned. So your grill is correct.

Usually all 5th gens have "PRELUDE" on the center/upper most portion of the rear bumper - just beneath the trunk. But most end up removing it.

Silver "H" badge on the nose of the hood and one on the center of the trunk
As well as "type SH on the top right corner of the trunk and Vtec on the top left of the trunk are the normal badges.

Are you saying you have the red backed "H" badges on your car?
They are white, but the same style.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
^ Those are definately aftermarket Honda emblems. Those don't come on any trims of the prelude.

Like Wing8808 mentioned, all preludes came with chrome "H" (outline: meaning the white part on your emblems was not there) emblems - one on the hood and one on trunk.

* please disregard the item number - picture taken from google and only used as an example

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
^ Those are definately aftermarket Honda emblems. Those don't come on any trims of the prelude.

Like Wing8808 mentioned, all preludes came with chrome "H" (outline: meaning the white part on your emblems was not there) emblems - one on the hood and one on trunk.

* please disregard the item number - picture taken from google and only used as an example
That's what I thought, thanks for confirming! Exactly the answer I was looking for.

·
Administrator
10,804 Posts
I know some white backed emblems are actually a more expensive one for s2000's. Don't know the exact difference/specs - but know the project car on the side of my house has a rear one and it's not some random ebay emblem. May want to look into it incase that's what you have.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I see that this is an old thread and I may not get a reply but I'm looking for the rear "prelude" emblem for my 1998 that I just got repainted. Can only find the flat sticker on ebay, not the original raised/beveled silver lettering. Looking to purchase but all OEM sites say "discontinued" (no surprise there). Any advice/leads?

·
Administrator
10,804 Posts
I see that this is an old thread and I may not get a reply but I'm looking for the rear "prelude" emblem for my 1998 that I just got repainted. Can only find the flat sticker on ebay, not the original raised/beveled silver lettering. Looking to purchase but all OEM sites say "discontinued" (no surprise there). Any advice/leads?
Those are indeed discontinued. Your best bet would be Ebay or possibly a Honda dealer in another region besides your own which may have one laying around in a warehouse. If a part says discontinued here in the states, unless a dealership has one on the shelf, it's no longer available here in the states - but that doesn't mean there's not old stock elsewhere in the world.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you. I've been hitting ebay and another forum and have my guy at my local Honda dealership who's been there for 30+ years on it too. No luck for the past month though. I'm trying to make it as close to stock as possible. Thank you for your help.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts