Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my EGR ports are definitely clogged. I threw a code a couple weeks ago.

My question is would it be easier to get them cleaned for about $100 or buy one from a part out and install a new one? I've seen them for sale for about $40.

Before you mention it, I know you can DIY but I don't really feel confident enough in my skills to do it right. Yes, I've seen the write-up.

Anyway, is it a difficult task with a lot of extra details to take the old one out and put in a new clean one?

Thanks

·
Registered
641 Posts
Its not just the EGR, it's the ports in you Intake manifold that clog. You need to clean them out. Buying a just a valve wont fix it. Plus removing the IM on SH's are a pain in the head (literally when Nismo2honda's hood fell on my head, i got 6 staples when we did his IM)

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
^^ To Prelude100, Your code will come back eventually. You have to clean the ports. Cleaning just the EGR valve is teh useless.
To PodunkParte, You need to clean the ports. Don't pay to have it done. The Honda dealership will just tell you that you need a new EGR, or charge you to remove the IM. Doing the DIY is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY easier than you think. I was a little intimidated about it, thinking I wouldn't be able to get the plugs out with the slide hammer, or that when I pounded new ones in that I would blast them straight into the IM and they'd be bouncing around in the engine. It was so easy. The slide hammer pops them right out. You'll be shocked at how little force it takes. And when you pound the new ones in, you just tap them in until they are flush. I did this a few months ago because I was getting a P0301 (random cylinder 1 misfire) and the EGR ports being clogged was the cause. There are 6 ports. If I remember correctly, I only cleaned 5 of them because there was one I couln't get to. But yeah, just do the DIY. It only took me an hour, and I took my sweet ass time while I was doing it. It's a cakewalk. And you don't need a gun cleaning kit. I picked up a set of 9 nylon bristle brushes at my local tool store for $5.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
x2 clean the ports is the best way bro, but last 3 months my friend and i took out the whole IM and clean it inside out, lol yah it a bitch to do it but i know my whole IM is really clean now

1 - 7 of 7 Posts