Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this is how my day starts. I get in, start up, head to school. A grimace comes on my face as a check engine light appears like a pimple on the face of my dash. What a day ruiner! So I go to school and don't think much of it.

After school I head to Advanced to check the code, it was something about insufficient EGR flow. I figured, meh must be the cold weather? CLEAR!

Get on the interstate to head home...... Cruise control on.... *BLINK* *BLINK* I get a blinking Engine check light. This time I think, what a misfire? WTF IS GOING ON? Keep driving......

Get off the interstate and to my horror, (yes, horror) there is a ticking sound coming from my engine. So I slowly limp home (no powerloss that I could tell) and hope to god my car isn't about to blow up. I made it home and looked like :shock: when I got out. No idea what to do about it.

I want to take it to a shop but I don't know if its safe to drive it 14 miles to the closest one. And I really hope its not a bent valve or anything. I remember reading something about the EGR valve ticking like a valve. I'm really worried guys, what could this be?

·
Registered
2,179 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I sure hope this is all it is. I'd hate to have bent a valve or something. It sure sounds a lot like a valve. I read somewhere that it shuts off all fuel to the misfiring cylinder when enough fuel is getting sent to the cat and this can sound like a valve ticking? Not sure. Didn't feel like it was only running on 3 cylinders. I'm just going to take it directly to the shop after school tomorrow and hope for the best. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
If the Cel was blinking, you were only on 3 cylinders. A blinking CEL is an "active misfire" (which, for instance, could be 1 out of 10,000 rpms is a miss)A steady CEL for a misfire is an "inactive" or random misfire (which is like 1 out of 1,000,000 rpms is a miss, or whatever. Basically, you will not feel any power loss or notice any difference with this kind, most of the time). You may not have felt like you were only running on 3 cylinders, but if that CEL is blinking, technically, you are. It was just not misfiring often enough to feel. If the cylinder goes out, and you have no ignition what-so-ever in one cylinder, then yes, it will feel and sound like you are riding a lawnmower. LOL But yeah, clean the EGR valve AND the ports. Then you should be ok. If that's the only problem. It's probably also a good time to think about doing a tune up if you are due.

·
Registered
242 Posts
just take it off and clean it. with that particular CEl on you will get shitty gas mileage. get an air compressor and blow all the gunk out of it. i just did this the other day. once youre done make sure you pull off the battery terminals to reset the battery, otherwise the Cel will not go away.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
just take it off and clean it. with that particular CEl on you will get shitty gas mileage. get an air compressor and blow all the gunk out of it. i just did this the other day. once youre done make sure you pull off the battery terminals to reset the battery, otherwise the Cel will not go away.
You have to clean the ports too, otherwise the CEL will just come back. Sometimes you can get away with just cleaning the EGR Valve, but if the OP's EGR is clogged up enough to cause a Blinking CEL active misfire, I can guarantee that just cleaning only the EGR valve and not the ports won't do any good.

·
_
2,494 Posts
it should.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Anyone want to pick up a lowered type SH with 170k for $5500? :-\

I don't have the cash right now to deal with this.

·
Idiotic Thread Locker!
11,000 Posts
Don't give up on the lude dude. What car are going to get better for $5,500?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Hey man listen I have a ticking on mine as well and I thought it was a valve adjustment that I needed, but after reading your thread and having listened to the origin of the ticking I know for sure its my EGR and not the valves because the ticking is coming from the back around the EGR and is not in sync with the valvetrain. I dont have a CEL coming on (fingers crossed) but I have 163k on my lude.

We're almost in the same boat. Dont give up your lude man, Just give that EGR a good cleaning. GL MAN

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I've been looking at maybe getting a Honda Hawk 650 and a beater car for a while anyways. At the same time it was more just frustration than a real offer. Just really anxious to see what the shop I took it to says about it. It's difficult going from the Prelude to a minivan. haha.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I feel you on that one man, tonite I just found a puddle of oil under my car that has been sitting for a few months being turned on and stuff. Im gonna have to tow it to the Mech bc theres no oil on the dipstick, not taking any chances. Im worried about how much its gonna run me for w/e seal or gasket blew. So yea man I hope that they dont charge you or me arms and legs.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts