Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have ordered from several online vendors only to receive an email hours later that they are out of stock and the order is canceled.

1 - Does anyone have a source or alternative?
2 - Does anyone have a way to clean without removing the plugs?

I read all previous posts i could find... not looking to drill/tap the holes.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I looked high and low for the plugs. Cleaning the ports with the manifold off is still difficult. I tried that as well. Eventually I just gave up and drilled/tap the holes. I never drilled or tapped before. Surprisingly very easy to do.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I looked high and low for the plugs. Cleaning the ports with the manifold off is still difficult. I tried that as well. Eventually I just gave up and drilled/tap the holes. I never drilled or tapped before. Surprisingly very easy to do.
Hit send too soon :)

When I drilled one hole- and took a look down. There was no way any cleaning method would remove all that build up.

·
Administrator
7,112 Posts
Your best bet is to carefully remove the ports followed by the intake manifold (don't break the knock sensor), clean/drill/tap for removable plugs.

Which online dealership did you try ordering from? I'll search around if I remember tomorrow.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your best bet is to carefully remove the ports followed by the intake manifold (don't break the knock sensor), clean/drill/tap for removable plugs.

Which online dealership did you try ordering from? I'll search around if I remember tomorrow.
4 or 5 of the top google results when searching by part number. Will pull the intake the weekend probably

·
Administrator
7,112 Posts
I checked and they are currently on backorder no release date. There are some dealers nation wide that show them on inventory but there's no saying how many they have without calling individual dealers.

Making your own appears to be the better option at this point. Or you could remove/reuse the current plugs and add some jb weld overtop as some have in the past.

·
Registered
37 Posts
There was a thread from many, many years ago (might have been at PreludeOnline instead of here) that went through the full detail of how to clean out these ports. The OP there was using a bent up metal coat hanger to knock out some of the bigger carbon chunks.

I bought a set of plugs probably 10 years ago, and rather than the solid plugs that came in the manifold, they were like a dish shape. I would also recommend to drill and tap the plug holes in the manifold, and replace the original plugs with essentially a large set screw. Honestly, it's probably the easier way to do things rather than having to press plugs back in, and makes it easy to clean it again in the future.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I have ordered from several online vendors only to receive an email hours later that they are out of stock and the order is canceled.

1 - Does anyone have a source or alternative?
2 - Does anyone have a way to clean without removing the plugs?

I read all previous posts i could find... not looking to drill/tap the holes.
Have you found the EGR port plugs yet?

·
Registered
713 Posts
There was a thread from many, many years ago (might have been at PreludeOnline instead of here) that went through the full detail of how to clean out these ports. The OP there was using a bent up metal coat hanger to knock out some of the bigger carbon chunks.

I bought a set of plugs probably 10 years ago, and rather than the solid plugs that came in the manifold, they were like a dish shape. I would also recommend to drill and tap the plug holes in the manifold, and replace the original plugs with essentially a large set screw. Honestly, it's probably the easier way to do things rather than having to press plugs back in, and makes it easy to clean it again in the future.
Ive done this port cleaning on 2 5thgens and both Honda suppliers sent me the same dish/bowl shaped plugs instead of the solid slugs that came from the factory...lol.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts