Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for you guys,

I have been searching for awhile and are having trouble finding a decent answer to this question, so yes I have looked.

Anyways, I have a '97 SH that keeps throwing EGR codes, something like insufficient flow. I'm done farting around with the darn thing and I would prefer to just block it off. Now I have heard that you can clear the CEL that you throw from blocking it off.

My question is, is there a way to permanently clear that CEL and would my ATTS still be operational?

·
'01 Milano Red - BB615
982 Posts
Have you cleaned the EGR ports on the intake manifold? It's better to fix the problem rather than trying to cover it up.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you cleaned the EGR ports on the intake manifold? It's better to fix the problem rather than trying to cover it up.
I've cleaned the EGR itself, I haven't cleaned the ports yet. I would prefer just to get rid of the EGR though.

·
Administrator
6,799 Posts
Clean the ports, that will get rid of your CEL.

You cannot block off the valve and have the CEL disappear. It will return once the ECU looks for it to open at a certain RPM.

Going OBD1 would be an option, but by doing this you will lose the ATTS and possibly fail inspection depending on how that goes in your area.

·
Opinionated Bastard
7,272 Posts

You cannot block off the valve and have the CEL disappear. It will return once the ECU looks for it to open at a certain RPM.

Going OBD1 would be an option, but by doing this you will lose the ATTS and possibly fail inspection depending on how that goes in your area.
Came here to give this exact advice.

You can't just "turn off" a CEL.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

So I figured, I had seen a few threads saying they could do it, but i was a bit skeptical. Guess I might actually get around to doing those ports then.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts