Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i have a 1997vti lude the rings slowly got noisy so i swapped engine with a type r h22-7 out of an accord but i have no spark at the plugs as soon as i turn the key the fan comes on. i googled this it and it looked like ecu communication so ive been trying to reset ecu i have no back up fuse i have removed the clock fuse and ecu fuse and battery still the same please i would like any advice i have even disconnected the ecu

·
Registered
JDM 4th Gen Prelude 2.2 Vtec Turbo
12 Posts
Did you just swap just the bare engine or the ancillaries too? The crank position sensor is located sometimes in the dizzy and sometimes at the cambelt, could be part of the issue.

Also double check the earths, particularly the one at the thermostat housing.

Just a note that the cooling fan is not controlled by the ECU at all, but just at the thermo switch in the stat housing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you just swap just the bare engine or the ancillaries too? The crank position sensor is located sometimes in the dizzy and sometimes at the cambelt, could be part of the issue.

Also double check the earths, particularly the one at the thermostat housing.

Just a note that the cooling fan is not controlled by the ECU at all, but just at the thermo switch in the stat housing.
just the engine i tried to fit the accord intake but mines automatic too many connections but it did fire wouldnt run

·
Registered
JDM 4th Gen Prelude 2.2 Vtec Turbo
12 Posts
I doubt it's the ECU.

Logically, if all you've changed is the engine, but kept the existing ECU, dizzy and everything else then it is unlikely something has developed a fault in the interim.

Double check the wiring and earths, noting any plugs that could easily be interchanged (i.e TPS and MAP sensor plugs!!).

Given the cooling fan comes on when it should not, points to a wiring issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I doubt it's the ECU.

Logically, if all you've changed is the engine, but kept the existing ECU, dizzy and everything else then it is unlikely something has developed a fault in the interim.

Double check the wiring and earths, noting any plugs that could easily be interchanged (i.e TPS and MAP sensor plugs!!).

Given the cooling fan comes on when it should not, points to a wiring issue.
Thanks will check

1 - 8 of 8 Posts