Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings.
I haven't been able to find anything on an ECU Code 9 through searching. Only that it relates to the CYP Sensor (Cylinder), and says its a defective circuit or unplugged/defective sensor. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? Is it possible the sensor is just dirty, as I've seen with other ECU codes (if so where is it located, so I can clean it), or does it point to a more serious problem? Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
Well...

This is pretty simple actually.

There is a good chance, that from either Engine Movement, or the shuffling of wires that the sensor either

A) got un plugged

B) the wire Fryed and broke off.

However, it is possible that the sensor has gone bad all together.

It is located on the end of the Exaust Cam right next to the Distributor. Check so see if its unlplugged, or if there are any broken wires, then run teh tests show in the link that im gonna give ya.. If you follow this flow chart, you will easily be able to repair the problem yourself.

Hope this helps you out.

Link:

http://media.honda.co.uk/car/owner/media/manuals/PreludeManual/62sf100/6-160.pdf

Also.. If the problem is STILL there, and you follow the flow chart, and everything is in order - then i would recomend checking your Exaust Cam timing in relation to the Timing Belt. It may have jumped a tooth.. How is your car running?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input. I checked out the wires, everything is in good shape, plugged in correctly, no frays. However, there was a lot of oil and gunk build up. I used some electrical cleaner to dissolve it, unfortunately, the S3 light still blinks. I'm going in next week to get the timing belt changed (not sure if it was done before I purchased the lude, has 160,000 miles on it). Better safe than sorry. It runs great, no noticeable problems. I'll update once the timing belt is replaced. Thanks again.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just out of curiousity, could it indicate there is something wrong with the distributor? I brought the problem up with my mechanic, and he said it might be a possibility.

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
The Cyl sensor is NOT part of the Distibutor on our cars, unlike most other 90+ Honda models, where the CKP, and CYP sensors are integrated into the Dist.

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
if there is a lot of oil buildup around the CYP, it may be shorting out. my CYP fried last year from oil leaking into it, and i had to replace it. once i replaced it, car ran perfect again and no codes.

also, get yourself a multi-meter with an accurate ohm reading and read the link rudeludenotmeanthough put above. that will tell you if the sensor itsself is shot or not.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I had this code come up when I had a little too much timing advance on the distributor. The ECU didn't like the fact that the other TDC and CRANK sensors inside the distributor weren't synched with the Cyl sensor. It happened only at high RPMS tough.

I set the timing at 17 degrees with a timing light and the code went away. I'm now at a hairline distance from having too much timing. :D

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
If it had oil inside the cylinder sensor then it needs a new seal inside. Or you can buy a new one. I replaced my inner seal. Its not too hard but its not easy either. Look in FAQ under my name cudaboy.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Question on the CYP sensor...

Of course for its name sake it detects the position of our number 1 cylinder and I assume this has to do with the timing of the motor.

But my question is how does this... if at all... effect power and or fuel economy? If, per say the sensor went bad or was not doing its job, what would be at a loss?

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
My experience with this code on my H is that it can (but not necessarily always will) effect performance and even drivability. Not sure on the fuel economy. I believe that the sensor will have the ECU cut the fuel or something because my lude would hesitate with that code.

My problem was wiring issues. I think I got it taken care of at this point though...

JCBesaw said:
Thanks for the input. I checked out the wires, everything is in good shape, plugged in correctly, no frays. However, there was a lot of oil and gunk build up. I used some electrical cleaner to dissolve it, unfortunately, the S3 light still blinks. I'm going in next week to get the timing belt changed (not sure if it was done before I purchased the lude, has 160,000 miles on it). Better safe than sorry. It runs great, no noticeable problems. I'll update once the timing belt is replaced. Thanks again.
S3 light? That has nothing to do with the CYP sensor. That means there is something wrong with your tranny weather it be wiring or mechanical (sorry, not too much experience with auto trannies here!).

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
in my experience, when my cyl sensor (CYP) went bad, my car wouldnt start. the only code i got at the time was code 9.
car ran fine for a while, then one day when i came home it literally just died on me right after i parked the car, right before i went to turn the ignition off. tried restarting it and it would sound like it was firing horribly wrong with bad timing on like 1 or 2 cylinders, but wouldnt actually fire enough to even run for a second. then it just quit completely, wouldnt fire at all, not even improperly. it would just turn over and over like it had ZERO spark. so i checked the ecu, code 9 CYP. replaced the cyl sensor (had a spare luckily), car fired right up without a problem.

so as for performance if something is wrong with the sensor? my experience led to a non-running car until it was replaced

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.