Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay, here we go, this is my first review so I hope I do well enough for a proper review.

This is an OEM replica polyurethane lip I purchased from eBay. The seller is doe.industries and the price was $90 shipped to my door. Sorry if the pics are blurry/low quality the best camera I have available to me is my iPhone, lol.

Lip came in this box. Contents of box consist of 1 bag of supplies to install lip and a paper with instructions on it. I didn't get a picture of the bag with the supplies inside of it, but inside it had 8 screws, 4 rivets, 2 short Z brackets and 2 longer brackets.

Lip out of box and outsides bent inwards to fit into the box. (also my mini weiner dog Chewy trying to see what the eff is going on!) :jehon:

On the instructions paper: It says to leave the lip out in the sun for a few hours and it would return to it's original shape or can use a hair blow dryer. I was skeptical of this at first and thought my lip was ruined, so I searched online and found truth behind heat being applied will "soften" polyurethane and make it bendable, then once it cools it will retain the new shape. I chose to use the the blow dryer method, here in Utah I didn't know if a 66degree day would be warm enough. Here is the lip after applying heat to the bends via hair blow dryer and it 'straightened' out very well.

How big is the lip? You might ask, here's a comparison next to a common item.

Now on to the installation, surprisingly the only instructions that came with the lip were how to straighten it out, no instructions on how to actually install it. It took me a moment to figure where all the hardware was suppose to go, but ultimately I figured it out. I forgot to mention that the lip has all the necessary holes to mount pre-drilled.

The 2 short Z brackets went one on each side. Driver side and passenger, somewhere under the direction of being below the side markers.

The 2 longer brackets went more to the nose/center of the bumper

Now there is also 4 more pre-drilled holes that were left. 2 per side and on the part where the lip wraps around the bumper on the inside of the wheel well area. I didn't get a picture of this either, but I assume this is where I was suppose to use the 4 rivets. I didn't want to use the rivets, I wanted something easier to remove if I plan to get the lip painted. so I went to Lowe's and bought 4 more screws and used them instead.

Here is the installed product.

Final opinion: Overall the lip fit very well, almost like a glove, it wasn't too bad to install, would have been nice to have instructions for installing on top of the instructions on how to un-bend the lip from being packaged.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
looks really good imo....i think i will look into this...do they have the sides and rear also?
looks 100% better with a front lip. glad it worked well for you. dont forget to polish those headlights. it makes a night and day difference to the value of your car.

·
RHD Pimpin
10,152 Posts
Looks good...

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bb6_vtec, I just checked the eBay sellers listings to make sure before I responded and it looks like as of now they're only offering the front lip. But in the future I'd like to pick up side skirts and rear lip also! So I'm going to send the seller a message about if they'd be willing to make the sides/rear. I'll post back here if I hear anything!

Thank you all for the positive feedback, it's greatly appreciated. I've done so much lurking and asking questions, not only just from this site but others aswell, I'm glad to have finally gave something back to the Honda/Prelude community.

I hope others can find this review and use it as motivation to venture the cheaper alternative route of an OEM optional lip without the high price tag.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just got mine. The sides curve away from the bumper a little. How did you get it to fit better? Right under the sidemarker on the front bumper is where mine curves away and leaves a gap. I took a heatgun to everything for 40 minutes at least so I know it's not because I didn't heat it up

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just got mine. The sides curve away from the bumper a little. How did you get it to fit better? Right under the sidemarker on the front bumper is where mine curves away and leaves a gap. I took a heatgun to everything for 40 minutes at least so I know it's not because I didn't heat it up
Sorry it took me a min to get back to you. Can you take a picture? I'm a little confused what exactly you're talking about.

Are you talking about it being twisted? Or if you are standing and looking from the top and looking down the bumper and there is a gap?

If you are talking about it twisting, then you've got to use more heat and work and counter twist it where the bend is.

If you're talking about the little gap that is like 1/16th of an inch, I left mine as is. If anyone is that close to my car and gonna complain about a slight space then they can suck it. ALTHOUGH, I am not 100% positive, but if this is what you're asking about, I think even if you bought a OEM genuine lip there is a gap here and you have to use 3m double sided tape to get the full flushness.

But again, post a picture of what you're referring to if none of that helped.:smilejap:

Whitelightnin, thank you very much. It does fit well, it took a little bit of time and work with a hair dryer to get it like it is, but for the price, I'm very satisfied and I've got a lot of compliments on it being a replica and fitting like it does.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Here's mine painted and installed

I'm talking about the part that's under the reflector on the side, mine has a 1/4" gap or so. Maybe I'm just being too picky

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wow, looks even better when painted to match! Very nice sde780!

Bro, I'm pretty sure that gap you're talking is fixed even on a REAL OEM with 3m double sided tape, I think the OEM kit from the dealer comes with double sided tape just for that, I can find out for sure if you're really interested in getting it flush, I figure it's my duty, since I started the write up and all. lol

Btw, do you think you can post another shot from the side, focusing more to the front end and about level with the lip itself? I think I screwed mine in to low on the wheel well part so its making my lip look like its tilted downwards

·
Registered
28 Posts
Wow, looks even better when painted to match! Very nice sde780!

Bro, I'm pretty sure that gap you're talking is fixed even on a REAL OEM with 3m double sided tape, I think the OEM kit from the dealer comes with double sided tape just for that, I can find out for sure if you're really interested in getting it flush, I figure it's my duty, since I started the write up and all. lol

Btw, do you think you can post another shot from the side, focusing more to the front end and about level with the lip itself? I think I screwed mine in to low on the wheel well part so its making my lip look like its tilted downwards
Thanks, guess I was being too picky then. Here are more pics

Mine doesn't really tilt, I made sure to make it straight when I put it on

·
Registered
97 Posts
The double sided tape, What parts of the lip did you guys use it on and how? i tried it, and the tape fell off the lip, Maybe i didn't clean the lip well enough.

P.s. when putting on the tape, did you guys do one section at a time or lay the tape down all the way around?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts