Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5th gen
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 5th gen prelude that I've almost gutted completely for a full rebuild. I have done a lot of reading over the past months and have a general idea of what I want to do. I haven't seen a solid post or response to my questions so i figured id join up and throw it out there. I'm planning on doing a full E85 single turbo build with the stock h22, I know I need new head studs and things like a thicker head gasket but i just want to make sure I'm not forgetting anything. Any and ALL advice or critiques are welcome!

·
Registered
1999 Prelude. F20B/K20A hybrid rebuild
167 Posts
Only thing i would recommend is not going crazy with the power. Bone stock H22’s have a weakpoint when it comes to boosting and it’s ALWAYS the Pistons. Ringland failure is the absolute most common failure on a stock boosted H22. The stock pistons are only cast-made so they are not strong. 10/10 times the piston will break wayy before the rods have any problems. I’ve seen this stuff personally. Anything over 300whp is risky business when it comes to the weak stock pistons.
• You have to remember the motor is spec’d with very tight clearances because the motor is meant to be high revving NA and makes a lot of power for a NA 4 cylinder. So that means the piston ring gaps are gapped pretty tight since the motor is NA. So with the tight gaps, boosting puts a LOT of stress on them. Which is why ringlands fail so common while boosting stock.( if it’s possible for you i would look into taking out the pistons and re-gapping and loosening the piston ring gaps slightly, it means essentially taking the motor apart but might be worth it, Not needed but could potentially help)
•A Thicker headgasket like you said would be a smart move. It’ll lower your compression ratio and ultimately put less stress on the pistons.
• i personally know that boosting stock high-compression motors like a H22 is a ticking timebomb. I would never recommend it but after doing rebuilds myself i KNOW actually building a motor can get expensive QUICK.
•So like i said that thicker headgasket and ARP’s will definitely help, and try not to make too much power. Like i said 300-350whp is approaching the limit on those stock pistons. MOST importantly just have a reputable tuner tune the engine. If they are experienced in Hondas they most likely know the fragility of stock motors.
• Have fun with the build man, i’ve put together and ridden in some boosted H22’s and they are monsters. 300-350whp feels STRONG and it’s Plenty fast, and the Accord it was in was wayy heavier than a 5th gen. Just boost it safely with a safe tune and you will have a great time. Good luck man

·
Administrator
6,798 Posts
Upgrade your entire fuel system appropriately. Leave no rubber line untouched.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts