Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just got my baseline dyno done today, another one will come after I get toofast's IM and TB to show how much of difference it will make.
Peak HP was just what I expected, but then it drops off real quick.

Peak HP = 123.9 @ 5600 rpm
Torque = 125.6 @ 4750 rpm

A/F ratio goes rich just before 5500 rpm.

We concluded that the engine just isn't getting enough air above 5500 rpms, and Toofast's IM and TB should make a big difference.

Engine mods so far:
Intake tubing reduced to elbow pipe and filter (my "stock" short ram)
DC Sports 4-2-1 2 piece ceramic coated header
Universal "fart can" weld on muffler. (Don't blame me, it was on the car when I bought it, and I've been lazy to change it)

otherwise it's a bone stock B21A1 w/ 120,000 miles.

·
Registered
435 Posts
WOW!! i am very impressed to see those numbers with just a DC header and short ram intake!

i think a set of reground cams will definitely help you out. When I had my first dyno run, (unimpressed by the results) my HP curve hit about 95% of its max at 5200 and stayed that high all the way up to 6700 rpm. getting larget lift cams will definitely help out with the upper rpm range. you won't see your power die off nearly as much...

good luck getting everything else in there.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
whoa, go B21..............nice baseline. the rush is on for the first notated NA 3rd Gen to hit 150whp :lol:

Can't wait to see what she does after the toofast products are installed.................

We need all the help we can get for our H22 swapped brethren. I helped DailyInterlude get his auto tensioner swapped out today, and got to make a test run (as co-pilot and numero uno). OMG :shock: I'd driven it before, but damn. I hope my NA beast get's a fraction of that :lol:

·
1,197 Posts
ConMetal said:
whoa, go B21..............nice baseline. the rush is on for the first notated NA 3rd Gen to hit 150whp :lol:

Can't wait to see what she does after the toofast products are installed.................

We need all the help we can get for our H22 swapped brethren. I helped DailyInterlude get his auto tensioner swapped out today, and got to make a test run (as co-pilot and numero uno). OMG :shock: I'd driven it before, but damn. I hope my NA beast get's a fraction of that :lol:
Skunk2 manifolds? :)

The h22a would be easier to build-up n/a, but I've never seen anybody do a n/a build-up, they usually boost it.

Seeing as how we're slightly ligher than a 5th gen Prelude, with a h22a we should be able to produce the same if not, faster 1/4 mile stock. I've never seen a 1/4 mile numbers from anybody running a h22a (damn street racers!), but I imagine it should touch 14's with a good driver. The 5th gen base runs a 15.1 with a good driver, stock here in Oklahoma.

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
Kaspin this is frickin' sweet man until now no one has attempted to do this. I thank you as I have neither the time or money to do this. Now we'll know how the toofast b21 will compare to the b20.

Cowsnuker your an Okie! Thats cool man! That just goes to show this sight is kept up & running by people right here in the heartland down on the planes.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
cowsnuker said:
Skunk2 manifolds? :)

The h22a would be easier to build-up n/a, but I've never seen anybody do a n/a build-up, they usually boost it.

Seeing as how we're slightly ligher than a 5th gen Prelude, with a h22a we should be able to produce the same if not, faster 1/4 mile stock. I've never seen a 1/4 mile numbers from anybody running a h22a (damn street racers!), but I imagine it should touch 14's with a good driver. The 5th gen base runs a 15.1 with a good driver, stock here in Oklahoma.
toofast products are for my car :wink:

as for never seen an H22 natural build-up, Daily Interlude has it: the head is completely built with P&P and Crower valve train including regrinds. Not sure about the block though. It's a beast awaiting tuning to become even more beastly.................

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
try and dyno it with just the intake manifold...then install the TB ...and redyno....that would be cool...

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Define the lines on the graph for me. I think I understand the line across the top as HP/Tq available at that RPM, but what does the one that starts at 50 represent?

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Oh, Ok I get it.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
b20luda said:
try and dyno it with just the intake manifold...then install the TB ...and redyno....that would be cool...
If you wanna donate $50 for the extra dyno time and an extra TB gasket, I will :wink:

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
Kaspin said:
b20luda said:
If you wanna donate $50 for the extra dyno time and an extra TB gasket, I will :wink:
i would suggest doing it the other way, TB, then manifold. Plus, if you only do some dyno runs, the gasket should be reusable

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
ya...but it would be harder to switch a whole intake manifold on the dyno...

·
穏やかな旅行&#
4,713 Posts
This is very interesting, especially when you consider that factory specs for a B20A5 were 135 hp @ 6200, and 127ft/lbs at 4000rpm.

I wonder why your RPMs are so different :?

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Kalm_Traveler said:
This is very interesting, especially when you consider that factory specs for a B20A5 were 135 hp @ 6200, and 127ft/lbs at 4000rpm.

part of the difference is that I have a B21A1. another part is that those figures are at the crank, mine are at the wheels.

·
穏やかな旅行&#
4,713 Posts
Kaspin said:
Kalm_Traveler said:

part of the difference is that I have a B21A1. another part is that those figures are at the crank, mine are at the wheels.
That sorta makes sense... but when Toofast did his dyno runs his HP number was pretty much right on the money (torque was oddly about the same RPM as HP for some reason)... granted he also as the 2.0

In any case that is quite perplexing.

I'm going to try and get a dyno run within the next couple weeks just to see where I'm at (cuz my car pulls so much better than all the stock 3rd gen's that I've driven in the past year or so).

1 - 20 of 113 Posts