Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you guys dyed your interior, in particular the vinyl pieces (headliner, dash, door cards, etc). If so, what did you use and how were the results?

·
Registered
697 Posts
I have. I used VHT carpet and vinyl dye. Works a treat as long as you thoroughly prep your surfaces. All vinyl and plastic must be cleaned with a strong cleaner (simple green or similar) to get all the dirt out and prepsol'd.

Mine came out great. Its been in there for over 5 years and still looks great. You cant even tell its not a stock black interior. Just take your time and do it properly.

Side note: Dont bother painting your carpet with it. It sticks to the fibres and looks horrible. Just buy a new carpet set. And i know it says you can use it on fabric, but PLEASE dont paint your seats.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Funny this thread should pop up as I am dying my headliner very very soon and using fabric dye from spotlight (Aussie fabric chain store) This is because I have a suede type headliner instead of the stock vinyl type ones on my 3G.

Seen many people use different types of soluble dyes that spray on and seem to be a pretty hit and miss thing until you find a dye that works.

You guys in the US though I believe can still get your hands on "Dylon" that comes in a small pot/jar.
That stuff rocks! It should look like this...

We cant get that particular type of Dylon in Aus anymore, and the replacement style they sell now isnt half as good for some reason. You can do carpets, fabric seats, parcel shelf, boot carpet, ANYTHING fabric, my only advice is make sure the stuff your dying is very clean, dry, that you buy the right dye for the right fabric (so usually a nylon dye I believe) and follow the packet instructions!

This is what I have picked up on the advice of a few memebers from ozhonda.com.au

Using VHT paint on carpet/fabric is an alternative, and heard good and bad results but will work out a lot more expensive, and I don't know how you would "primer" the fabric to ensure the paint took hold?

Thread is here for the write up on OzHonda as to how to dye your carpet etc.

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?89106-D.I.Y-Dyeing-your-carpet..

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
I used krylon fusion to paint my visors, map light, sunroof handle and the trim ring. Going on a year now with opening/closing the sunroof slider a few times almost everyday and it's still looking like when I first did it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Registered
42 Posts
Funny this thread should pop up as I am dying my headliner very very soon and using fabric dye from spotlight (Aussie fabric chain store) This is because I have a suede type headliner instead of the stock vinyl type ones on my 3G.

Seen many people use different types of soluble dyes that spray on and seem to be a pretty hit and miss thing until you find a dye that works.

You guys in the US though I believe can still get your hands on "Dylon" that comes in a small pot/jar.
That stuff rocks! It should look like this...

We cant get that particular type of Dylon in Aus anymore, and the replacement style they sell now isnt half as good for some reason. You can do carpets, fabric seats, parcel shelf, boot carpet, ANYTHING fabric, my only advice is make sure the stuff your dying is very clean, dry, that you buy the right dye for the right fabric (so usually a nylon dye I believe) and follow the packet instructions!

This is what I have picked up on the advice of a few memebers from ozhonda.com.au

Using VHT paint on carpet/fabric is an alternative, and heard good and bad results but will work out a lot more expensive, and I don't know how you would "primer" the fabric to ensure the paint took hold?

Thread is here for the write up on OzHonda as to how to dye your carpet etc.

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?89106-D.I.Y-Dyeing-your-carpet..
Is that supposed to say that it dissolves in WATER? Not washer

Anyways.. This is something I'm wanting to do when I start on my interior

·
Registered
697 Posts
I think its meant to say washer, you put it in with your black clothes to return the fibres to black.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts