Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i did a search and didnt find anything so if this has been covered sorry. I was thinking of doing a custom dual exhaust on my car and i wanted to know if this has been tried. I really dont care if i get alot of power out of it i just thinks it would be a cool look for the car. Open to opinions.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
whos done it i would love to see pics

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
I really dislike dual exhausts in any four-banger,but if you like it,then go for it man.There is somebody that has it but I forget who though.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
The ONLY way I like it is with the bumper cut to match. Looks dumb with one muffler having a cut out and the other not IMO. What exactly did you have planneD?

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i was going to first make the exhaust i want dual carbon fiber tips. once its mounted and ready i would then get the bumper and cut it to fit before i mounted it. i agree it looks tacky if it isnt even. Im not sure of the size i want for the tips yet. Nuthin too big though.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I like that. did u do all the work yourself. about how much did it run u.
Posted via Mobile

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I want to do that but i was going to try and do it from the down pipe back so i could have true duels on a 4 banger

·
Registered
462 Posts
about 8-10 hours. Cost about $350 with the cost of mufflers, and pipe. Labour and buddys shop cost me a case of beer. I did it with a local welder. He has been building custom exhausts for 20+ years. He even makes his own mufflers.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thats not 2 bad cheaper than a name brand aftermarket. hows the power increase. much at all
Posted via Mobile

·
Registered
462 Posts
Donno. My car had about 325 000km on it when I first did it, so the engine was pritty tired. I mainly did iy to go with the body kit, and for my turbo setup im gonna run.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thats kool. i really only want it for the look. but im puttin cans on mine i like those.
Posted via Mobile

·
Registered
462 Posts
Those where DNX mufflers, made by walker. I now have flowmaster 60 series with Vibrant tips. Ill get some pics when im back out were my car is stored.

·
Registered
567 Posts
If you do dual exhaust I have a few warnings for you. First of all your gonna catch alot of flak from everybody; domestic guys with V6s and V8s, import guys with I4s, everybody. There will be very few who will like it, you might get some that appreciate the work you put it, but not the outcome or idea.

Second, that's going to add alot of weight. How much extra is dependent on whether you run two pipes all the way from the headers, use a y-pipe by the gas tank, or have a longitudinally mounted muffler with the exhaust tips coming from both ends. Any way you cut it your adding unnecessary weight.

Third, there was no provision by Honda for dual exhaust for the 3rd gen Prelude so there is no route for it. That means you'll have the exhaust hanging too low and risk damaging your custom exhaust at every speed bump, driveway, and road obstacle. Either that or you have to have the bottom chopped up to tuck the pipes up out of the way which I'm not sure how much would even be possible.

I recommend you jack up the back end and use jack stands or reverse up some ramps and take a look for yourself, you will see there's not much room for extras down there. Once you've done that you'll have a better understanding of the work your getting into and you'll probably decide to stay single like everyone else who doesn't have dough to blow. But to each his own.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I plan on going to some TPC meets. Wasn't able to last year unfortunately. I love the sound with the flowmasters. Ill try get a video of it this weekend.

As for flak from other people... Barley get it. If I ran one muffler with this body kit, I would get more for having 2 cut outs and one muffler. I get alot of people saying they like it cause its unique.

Room for it...as you see in my pics I had to make room. You probably can put on canister style mufflers without cutting anything, but you would need a few different mufflers and your car in the air to try.

Weight... If your going for weight savings dont put an exhaust on..lol... This is more for looks then anything. Im very picky on how my car matches left side to right side... With this kit duels were the only way to go.

My car has been built on almost min wage. Ive only worked 3 1/2 years out of the 5 ive had my car at 40 hours a week $10/hr. And my car is appraised at 20K. What helps me do alot of this custom stuff is my knowledge of mechanics. The only time a garage has worked on my car was to press in front wheel bearings and alignment. Besides that its me or my dad working on it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts