Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So since my last fill up i have been driving the most conservative i could, haven't hit vtec once on this tank or really even romped on it. And i figured i would be getting great mileage. It just hit E today and is on 280 miles, do you think there is something wrong? What is giving me such shitty mileage.

·
Registered
399 Posts
mines like that right now..i need to change my fuel filter, it's been a while

·
Idiotic Thread Locker!
11,000 Posts
Usually on the H22 this is a result of bad O2 sensors or clogged EGR valve.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i guess come summer ill change the o2 sensors and see if that helps.

·
Idiotic Thread Locker!
11,000 Posts
O2 sensors on this motor get tired/clogged around 5 years or 75,000 miles of use. Mine are getting there...I'm getting about 2 mpg worse than I have in previous winters. It's time. www.sparkplugs.com has OEM identical NGK's for $54 each.

- JL

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Yeah I got 200 on my last tank, but I hit vtec a couple times....54 for spark plugs that are still stock? Ill save up for the pulstar ones at that rate.

·
Idiotic Thread Locker!
11,000 Posts
Yeah I got 200 on my last tank, but I hit vtec a couple times....54 for spark plugs that are still stock? Ill save up for the pulstar ones at that rate.
Negative, that's $54 for a brand new OEM equivalent Oxygen Sensor...quite a steal.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Oh I thought you said spark plugs. Jesse do you have like a maintenece schedule, cause I looked in the manual, and I didnt say anything about an EGR.

·
Idiotic Thread Locker!
11,000 Posts
Oh I thought you said spark plugs. Jesse do you have like a maintenece schedule, cause I looked in the manual, and I didnt say anything about an EGR.
I don't think there is anything in the maint. schedule about the EGR. However, the EGR valve does tend to cake with carbon build up since this engine runs so rich and a lot of prelude owners have had to clean theirs. Do a search "EGR" for more information.

- JL

·
GPS Enabled
1,014 Posts
My 3g just got 30.5mpg this tank. Installed a new clutch last weekend and its going up more.

·
Registered
19 Posts
depends on how you drive i get 300 miles if i drive city but around 350+ if its all highway... this is only when you baby it though

·
Registered
89 Posts
also depending on where your from it could be the result of winter gas 10-20 % antifreeze is what they put in gas arround here. in PA

my civic gets about 36 mpg in the summer but only 30 mpg in the winter, this is under harsh driving though

36 = x
30 = 20

36 = 24
30 = 20

this means you should get 24 in the summer still sorta bad for a 2.2 liter

·
Idiotic Thread Locker!
11,000 Posts
Yea winter fuel blends and 10% ethanol gas will hurt MPG as well. I loose about 3 mpg's in winter over summer.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Im also in the same boat getting 20mpg.. I dont have EGR its disabled on my ECU. im leaning towards the 02 sensor.. Thanks to whoever posted the link with the OEM replacements for cheap.. or the NGK replacements i should say.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts