Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 89 Honda prelude SI 4ws. For the last few months the driver side blinker has been giving me issues. The passenger side blinker working great. Once i turn the driver side blinker on it does not always like to turn off (or blink for that matter) It turns on and stays on with no blinking even after the key is out of the ignition. Sometimes after driving awhile it will begin to blink again and turn off like its suppose to. I have been pulling the hazards fuse so the battery does not die.

Where is this driver side blinker relay that is going out, or does this indicate I have a short in the system?

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
Is the switch returning to the middle after applying pressure down to make the left turn signal blink? If not then the switch is broken or there is a plastic and metal cam under the steering wheel in the column that maybe broken. The hazard relay is the big black middle one with six contacts on the under dash relay strip. I had mine out just recently. I would presume all years are the same. On mine. I removed the door sill and kick panel. Look in my oddball and large tool thread for torx socket. I think it t40 for seat belt bracket on door sill plate. Then I removed the foot rest. Some people don't have this. Then loosened but not remove the 10mm socket bolt at the bottom of the strip and then I was able to pull the entire strip out and rest it under the pedals for easy access.

You can also check the body ground and clean it and sand it by the underhood fuse box. 10k will know better if that might be your problem. He had issues with some of the front lights and that was his problem. Does your taillight do the same? need more info.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Still giving me trouble too :lol: need a bit more info, but if they come on its not a relay ;) check your wiring make sure it's not chafed and grounding. Check the ground junction over by your underhood fuse box. If that doesn't do it, disconnect your battery and pull the bulb out of the socket. Get a pick or something small, look down in it and look for the metal contacts. Take your pick and pry them towards the center. Before you put it all back together test it, you may need to pry them some more. Be gentle they will snap off. Let me know if it works

·
Registered
954 Posts
I have a 89 Honda prelude SI 4ws. For the last few months the driver side blinker has been giving me issues. The passenger side blinker working great. Once i turn the driver side blinker on it does not always like to turn off (or blink for that matter) It turns on and stays on with no blinking even after the key is out of the ignition. Sometimes after driving awhile it will begin to blink again and turn off like its suppose to. I have been pulling the hazards fuse so the battery does not die.

Where is this driver side blinker relay that is going out, or does this indicate I have a short in the system?
1. Do you have an alarm fitted?

2. Check front indicator ground (G301), rear indicator ground (G501) and the ground for the relay (G401/G402 & G471). If everything else electrical is still working okay it might not be the grounds, but they're always worth a check.
http://media.honda.co.uk/car/owner/media/manuals/PreludeManual/62sf100/16-8.pdf

3. Looking at the wiring diagram; when the ignition is off, there is still a possible electrical route through the hazard switch. Disconnect the hazard switch, does the problem still occur?
http://media.honda.co.uk/car/owner/media/manuals/PreludeManual/62sf100/16-144.pdf

4. Change the relay.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts