Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm trying to change out my thermostat on my '86 lude, and I have run into my first little glitch. Should be super easy...

To replace the thermostat the Haynes manual says I need to drain the coolant. Cool, no problem. But step 5 under draining the coolant says this:

"After the coolant stops flowing out of the radiator, move the container under the engine block drain plugs on the front side of the engine. Loosen the plugs and allow the coolant in the block to drain."

Sad thing is, I have no idea where this drain plug is. And there are no photos in the Haynes manual for this step. Can anybody out there help me find it?

Here is a picture from the haynes manual of the underside of the car. Maybe that'll make it easier to explain...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Whenever I've drained coolant from cars I've just done it from the drain plug on the rad or from the bottom rad hose.

I recently removed the engine from my 2nd gen, again I just drained the coolant from the valve on the rad. Didn't drain anything from the block - as far as I'm aware there isn't a drain plug for coolant on it? I have a B20A1 in my lude though. But at any rate I'd say draining the coolant from the drain valve on the rad should be perfectly adequate for changing a thermostat mate.

·
Lord Magnum
1,210 Posts

It's that nut to the right of where the front motor mount bracket bolts in. But I agree that there is absolutely no reason to completely drain the system. The thermostat sits high in the system, there is no need to drain the coolant out of the block to change it. Just drain a little (if any, at all, honestly) from the bottom of the radiator, change the thermostat, top the coolant back off & bleed the system.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds good. I simply drained the coolant from the radiator. No problem.

My problem has now stemmed from breaking a bolt when trying to reattach the thermostat housing. Doh! Why can't I ever have an easy job working on my prelude! :frown:

Thanks for all the help though!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts