Honda Prelude Forum banner

Double Din Headunit 3g Installation

6K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  TheGoodTexan 
#1 ·
Guys, I know a few people were asking if this was possible (four years ago), and I am sure you know now that it is. However, I will give a few tips to those of you who have not yet attempted it.

It is not hard, it should fit pretty easily.

First off, get a dash install kit for a '96 Accord. It also fits a few other Hondas. I had this installed in my Accord for a while.

Now, take the entire metal bracket thing. It holds your lighter, ash tray, radio, and your little box flap thing. Take the radio and box out obviously.

There will be a metal bar at the end. Depending on the shape and size of your new headunit it may or may not fit with that in. I took it out. You might need to apply some force to get this in, don't apply too much. Just get it to slide in okay. It will be a tight squeeze.

Once it is in as far as it will go, the little plastic install kit should keep it leveled right. The plastic frame that goes around it will have no way to snap in like it is supposed to. Cut all the little snap in things. You might need to glue it in, you might just let it sit there. I just let it sit there.

Now, if you try to put the radio back in, while in the bracket, it will move around and slide. It's not secured yet. I doubt you want that. Get your zip ties. Zip tie that motherfucker in. It will keep it secure and keep it from moving if you have done it right. Make sure it is still level. I used like 7 or 8 ties I think.

Once it is secure, put the bracket back in place. Screw it back in. Replace the plastic cover. BAM. Double Din Radio in that bitch. I would take pictures, I wanted to. Just no camera. Sorry guys. Hopefully this helped.

See less See more
#2 ·
I would make a bracket for it out of metal and bolt it down solid on the back and use tamper proof screws for the rear and most importantly the side that hold that whole upper console metal bracket in place. just my .02

#3 ·
I mean, hell, If I had the tools to fabricate metal bars and shit there is TONS I would do. I just don't. It also will have to do with the size of your deck and the shape too. It's not too hard to do, and it shouldn't be difficult if you know how to install a car radio.

#4 ·
you can do lots of stuff with angle iron prepunched or even metal straps and some elbow grease and a hacksaw. Check out the metal stuff at the hardware stores. The metal straps that you can bend with your hand sures up alot of flex and insecurity. On them you can cut them to length with the same hacksaw or tin snips. or just bend it back and forth till it breaks. even if you don't have a vice you can buy flanging pliers cheap vice grip style and all kinds of stuff. security screws you can get online at places like mcmaster.com. But there is other stuff you can buy at your hardware store that work the same way as a phillips screw and have been proven to stop theft in the pass. Just have to get creative. You figure your not going to be removing the head unit that often. The harder you make it for yourself to remove requiring special hand tools or drivers it is going to be infinitely harder for a theif that will have very limited tools and hopefuly not much time either.

#6 · (Edited)
My Alpine 407 did not go in that easy. I guess that it does depend on the exact size of the head unit (of course).

I had to (carefully) file out the inside of the "frame" of the main piece that the dash kit clamps to. And I also secured it to the car with a couple of solid brackets, just like cudaboy described. It's in their solid as a brick... and it ain't going anywhere.

It can be done, but I wouldn't suggest that a newbie to car stereo installs try it. I've installed for 20+ years, and have a garage full of tools, and it still took me an entire day to do it. Again, that's for my specific unit. Some other brands or models may fit a little easier.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.