Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I promised I would provide a write up of how we did the headlights and I gotta admit I have been slacking a bit on this so for those of you that care here is the process.

Materials:
Clear Polycarbonate sheets (2x 12"x12" 3/8" thickness)
Black Polycarbonate sheet(1x 4'x6' 3/8" thickness)
3M Liquid Urethane (1 Tube)
Lighting (your choice)

The Shape For The Headlights:
I didn't really like the aged shape of the pop up cover so I kindly asked Dustin of Dormir Customs what his thoughts were regarding how we can give the car a bit more of an attitude for the flush mounts and we came up with the shape you see. In order to do this Dustin welded a small piece of the headlight cover onto the hood and with a lot of work we were able to make it look factory. After this was completed Dustin and I looked at the car and something just didn't fit rite? It was the flat angle left on the bottom of the hood. It definitely looks aged. So we mulled it over and decided to cut it off and create a secondary vent as it would be functional to provide more air to the cabin and most importantly the front mount.

Housing Construction:
The housings aside from the lenses were the most difficult to get rite. To do this Dustin cut out from the black polycarbonate sheet to create a housing and through heat manipulation and plastic welding we were able to get a dynamic aggressive housing to hold the lights and provide a mounting surface for the lens.

Headlight Shroud:
Well for this there are really lots of options. I have seen many flush mounts that could be used here such as the RX7 flush mount kit and the 240sx flush mount kit but rather than going the easy route Dustin decided to make his own. So he made clay representations for the lighting projectors and used them as place holders and made from scratch with fiberglass mesh the housing you see below. We also used polycarbonate sheet cutouts to finish the shape filling the housings and mounted led blinkers which would be hidden under an upper lens that would be tinted.

Lens:
Well here is the biggest challenge. In order to form the lens it has to be heated to a consistent 325 to 400 degrees and if you go too hot it forms tiny bubbles inside and warps and you don't want that. What we did was heat them in an oven and the moment the lenses began to bow we would remove the lens from the oven and with tools bent it over the housing while holding the lens on areas we would be cutting off later and basically stretching over the housing until it cooled and we used a spray of water to speed the process. It took us about 4 tries for each lens we made. Here is a shot after the lens has been cut and cleaned after the forming process:

Assembly:
Well this was not easy but after a few attempts we found the rite material to fuse it all together. 3M Liquid Urethane. It is a black tube and I believe it is used for windshields also. The urethane while taking upwards of 6 hours to dry provide a very strong adhesion and is easily cut with a razor blade if you need to remove the lens. Here is a few shots of Assembly and yes we had to get crafty to provide 6+ hours of pressure on the lens for the urethane to dry so some of these images will be rather entertaining:

Finishing Touches:
Now that we have our completed headlights we needed to make them look like they came from the factory and this took some innovation but Dustin was inspired and created a custom radiator core support that would adapt the look and feel of the car to seem stock. Here are some shots of the process:

And the finished product:

Some other things we did to finalize the build were installing a Civic double row radiator, locking hood pins that mount to the core support, and struts to raise the hood on its own.

Thats all I have for now...Hope you enjoy.

Many Thanks To Dustin Miller of Dormir Concepts ([email protected]).

Some finished shots in my storage garage:

·
Registered
8,088 Posts
god damn that looks clean.... Lots of hard work and time. IM actually liking the final project. even though i was a little reluctant towards liking it the first time i saw.

I approve.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
looks really good. lots of work and dedication put into this car.

btw king r u gonna come to the midwest npm this summer?
I'm gonna be at as many meets and shows as possible. This work took almost 2 years so I'm itching to take it out...
Posted via Mobile

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
looks great king best of luck at all the shows hope to see in a mag soon

·
BAN ALL MODS!!!
2,149 Posts
That is one hell of a job! More pics would be very nice.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Slick. With as much as I use the headlights (almost every time I drive, since I work overnights, then weather...) I've considered a similar mod. You ever think about offering some kits?

All the signal work on that car is pretty damn cool, I love the LEDs in the headlamp housing and on the mirrors. (Click on his video if you haven't already, lighting isn't great but gives you a glimpse!)

I can't wait to see it live in Chitown next July. Barely looks like a 3rd gen with all the work in the pictures, which is kinda weird, yet somehow also cool. The video shows off its heritage a bit better. Can't wait to see more pics in the light - take that baby out for a photo shoot!

·
Registered
10 Posts
i would love to see those lights on a stock bumper, looks nice though props
King and I are tossing around the idea of trying this type of mod, the unfortunate part of this is that all the front mods are built around the lights and making them appear stock. the factory bumper wouldn't allow the shape we have on his ride. We are toying with the idea of building a flush mount that would bolt in the factory mounts and flush out without any other mods.

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
i thought this was gonna be a sleepy eye conversion or something. Dormir = Sleeping in french.

·
Premium Member
1,296 Posts
1 - 20 of 41 Posts