Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a few weeks ago I dead engine rolled my lude out of my garage so it could be towed. Ofcourse I didn't wait for help, so with the drivers door opened enough to stick my leg out to push, I caught the door trim on the edge of may garage opening and sheared it clean off. Nice move! Has anyone ever refab'd the plastic mounting clips with something sturdy? I'm hoping to avoid using trim adhesive and making a mess. Was thinking of taking off the interior panel and maybe using screws and washers to mount from inside as the remaining plastic base of each original clip on trim looks ok, but I'm thinking they may be so dried out with age they will crack when I tap with drill. Thanks!

·
Registered
205 Posts
So a few weeks ago I dead engine rolled my lude out of my garage so it could be towed. Ofcourse I didn't wait for help, so with the drivers door opened enough to stick my leg out to push, I caught the door trim on the edge of may garage opening and sheared it clean off. Nice move! Has anyone ever refab'd the plastic mounting clips with something sturdy? I'm hoping to avoid using trim adhesive and making a mess. Was thinking of taking off the interior panel and maybe using screws and washers to mount from inside as the remaining plastic base of each original clip on trim looks ok, but I'm thinking they may be so dried out with age they will crack when I tap with drill. Thanks!
Share a pic of the clips - you may be able to use a certain style for other makes. I remember when my BMW door clips broke I could use some from a Lexus IS of all things.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Share a pic of the clips - you may be able to use a certain style for other makes. I remember when my BMW door clips broke I could use some from a Lexus IS of all things.
Thanks! Will do as soon as I get her back from the shop to replace the head sometime next week. Was hoping someone already had this issue and solved for it

·
Registered
205 Posts
Host the image on imgur and embed it here. Don't use the image uploader because I can't view it for some reason.

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
Door trim

Presume your talking about the outside door rub strips?

The plastic seems ok it's normally the metal tabs that hold the plastic onto the moulding that rust off and break off easily. I normally just epoxy resin them back on again and the plastic clips are fine never had one break on me yet in 30 years. The main door ones are normally bolted on at one end so if it's come off completely something is already missing.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yup - outside trim. I hope you are right. I honestly didn't look at them that closely, just assumed I sliced the prongs clean off. I had to repair the short one on drivers rear fender a few months ago and this 2 clips were decapitated. Guess they were smaller/flimsier as it was a much smaller/lighter piece. Much easier to fix if clips are intact. Should be getting her back this week. Thanks again!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Super 80's plastic!

Presume your talking about the outside door rub strips?

The plastic seems ok it's normally the metal tabs that hold the plastic onto the moulding that rust off and break off easily. I normally just epoxy resin them back on again and the plastic clips are fine never had one break on me yet in 30 years. The main door ones are normally bolted on at one end so if it's come off completely something is already missing.
Well, you are right again. of the 5 fasteners, only the center white one lost 1 of 2 prongs and the one pinkish one closest to the door hinge snapped - which was the point of impact. The rest just cleanly slid out of the molding and door - not a scratch! Not bad for 32+ year old plastic taking a beating from a 45 year old dumbass! :). Was quite the struggle sliding them back in, but now good as new. At least some good news in my cracked heads saga...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts