Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Im new to the forum, but i already dig through a lot of pages. So im not complete noob , except my grammar :)

im from Czech Republic which can be found in the midlle of nowhere , or for non muricans "in the middle of Europe".

After i bought my 92 3gen lude (yea its 92 not 91 but still 3gen) i figured out that left side of car was crashed.Nothing big but previous owner made a bad job . Just used a body filler and painted it . So there was like 2-3 Cm (like one or two inches) of body filler ,which was cracked ,and door + car body sheet were eaten by rust. So Friend of mine cut the whole thing out and made new body + painted the thing. But i left the doors like they were casue im going to buy new one ( ithink its cheaper to buy another than repairing these + painting them) . Everything was fine then until we tried to center the doors , so they could be closed,there was like half inch gap. So after few adjustments they were able to be closed properly.

Now comes main thing: Like two moths ago i came to the car ,wanted to open it via key and thing happened. Now key spins you can fell the pressure which increases,but in final point it clics and get back to beginning. So you can spin it throu like whatever you want but nothing happens. Doors stay locked . using door lock paddle from inside is not working also. Doors are stuck and wont move in any direction.

Is there any way how to unlock them other way or disassemble the doors ? I tried to unmount left side skirt (that body pannel in front of the doors) to get acces to the door mount. Found out that body pannel has screws also under door pannel. So this is not going to be possible .

If there is no way im going to cut through them and buy new one... Just saving this one would save me some money. in my country you need
technical inspection before you can use it. And inspector will have to sit behind the wheel,i dont think hes going to be happy about getting into a car throur passenger side :)

Sorry if its to long post , but i just wanted to be sure about every info you could need

·
Registered
954 Posts
Hi,

Im new to the forum, but i already dig through a lot of pages. So im not complete noob , except my grammar :)
Your English is a lot better than my Czech.

...key spins...you can spin it throu like whatever you want but nothing happens. Doors stay locked . using door lock paddle from inside is not working also.
Sounds like a rod has just come adrift inside the door.
Is there any way how to unlock them other way or disassemble the doors ? ...body pannel has screws also under door pannel. So this is not going to be possible.
These pages from the manual show how to disassemble the door.
http://media.honda.co.uk/car/owner/media/manuals/PreludeManual/62sf100/14-3.pdf

If you take apart the passenger door, you will see how the lock is operated by the rods. Hopefully, you will then be able to use something like a "Slim Jim" to hook one of the rods or the door latch itself to unlock the driver's door.
https://www.lockpickshop.com/SLIM-JIMS.html

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
finally

So , finally witch a lot of luck and help of my friend I got rid of the door. ( in one person its just harder but possible)

So you can delete this post , or let it be ,cause someone could face same situantion in the future.

First i had to unmount the hood,then front left fender, there are two screws on the right side(under doors) which are hard to get cause they are under door panel , so you have to find small wrench which can be slipped throug the small hole between fender,body and doors. With a bit of skill its possible to unscrew it. With wrench at first you loose the screw and then you can use small pliers. now you can drag the fender down (cause it is hold by one screw on the bottom) and your way to the door mount is clear. So unmout the door mounts so you can drag them out a bit. then you can finally unscrew last fender screw. So your fender is out and doors are dragged to the side. Now i just used door handle to open the doors. They opened so nothing was holding them now. My friend figured out that some part of door lock released itself so when you turned with key lock was moving but not opening the catch.

Edit: " I mean the doors were not locked but vhen you moved the handle , that rod which is opening the mechanism was not moving cause he fall out..."

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
So , finally witch a lot of luck and help of my friend I got rid of the door. ( in one person its just harder but possible)

So you can delete this post , or let it be ,cause someone could face same situantion in the future.

First i had to unmount the hood,then front left fender, there are two screws on the right side(under doors) which are hard to get cause they are under door panel , so you have to find small wrench which can be slipped throug the small hole between fender,body and doors. With a bit of skill its possible to unscrew it. With wrench at first you loose the screw and then you can use small pliers. now you can drag the fender down (cause it is hold by one screw on the bottom) and your way to the door mount is clear. So unmout the door mounts so you can drag them out a bit. then you can finally unscrew last fender screw. So your fender is out and doors are dragged to the side. Now i just used door handle to open the doors. They opened so nothing was holding them now. My friend figured out that some part of door lock released itself so when you turned with key lock was moving but not opening the catch.

Edit: " I mean the doors were not locked but vhen you moved the handle , that rod which is opening the mechanism was not moving cause he fall out..."
Welcome to the site and I admire your determination

1 - 4 of 4 Posts