Honda Prelude Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Well, I brought the whole to Locksmith, they did remove and rekey to my original key. They know how to remove it. sorry, I forgot to ask how he removed the cylinder, as I was so happy pay and drove away.
Probably a good idea to post what they did, if you can - provide some closure for those folk who tried to help you, as well as the next one who is looking to do the same thing! I still have to dig up my stuff - went through this many many, years ago and still have the lock cylinder laying around somewhere!

tjcross: I know exactly what you mean about the 'lude - I had a couple of Trans-ams, a LS400, VW GTi, and Camaro - all except the LS400 were manual transmissions, and hands down, the 'lude was the funnest!

·
Registered
1989 Accord LXi Coupe; 1989 Prelude 2.0s; 1964 Dodge Dart GT: 1993 Kawasaki ZX-11; 1982 Honda CB900
376 Posts
Well, I brought the whole to Locksmith, they did remove and rekey to my original key. They know how to remove it. sorry, I forgot to ask how he removed the cylinder, as I was so happy pay and drove away.

Im also Sorry, but Ill remember to bypass your posts next time

·
Registered
1990 Honda Prelude 2.0Si, 1989 Honda Prelude 2.0Si 4ws, 1990 Honda Prelude Si 4ws, etc.
819 Posts
LOL!!! Figures!

·
Registered
380 Posts
Im also Sorry, but Ill remember to bypass your posts next time
Sorry, not meant to leave everybody in the dark. My intention was to remove the cylinder from the assembly and bring it to Locksmith to rekey matching my driver door key. However, as you see we all struggle not being able to get this off. I have decide to bring the whole handle to Locksmith and asking to rekey. The next day, they called me and collect it. there were a line, and they only one person to get into their store at a time (coved-19 safe measure). I asked the front desk person how they did removed it, she did not know, she said it was a technician who did it. So I have to leave without knowing how they did it. In restropectively, I guess if I insist to hang around a bit, they probably can ask technician to explain to me.

sorry for not being helpful.

·
Registered
1989 Accord LXi Coupe; 1989 Prelude 2.0s; 1964 Dodge Dart GT: 1993 Kawasaki ZX-11; 1982 Honda CB900
376 Posts
I totally get that part, and especaially if a Tech does not want to give away their trade secrets, but they arent likely to see another of these maybe in the next 10 years, so I would find out the Techs name, offer to buy him/her lunch/6 pack of beer if they showed you how they did it. The info alone is extremely valuable for all of us, and Id even be willing to contribute to the lunch/six pak offer via paypal

Get the info, and if you had to offer them cookies, DM me with your paypal email, and Ill reimburse you once the instructions are posted here for everybody to see.

·
Registered
1990 Honda Prelude 2.0Si, 1989 Honda Prelude 2.0Si 4ws, 1990 Honda Prelude Si 4ws, etc.
819 Posts
Count me in. I'll throw down for some beer for the dude!....Or edibles, whichever. LOL

Reactions: Blainethemono

·
Registered
2 Posts
If anyone is still looking to disassemble this lock. I destroyed one of my locks (someone opened it with a screwdriver so jo big deal) and I have an answer how to disassemble it.
1)Get the lock out of the car.
2) Find two holes on the side of the lock cylinder.
Plant Grey Grass Motor vehicle Bag White Glove Valve Bicycle part Gas

3) Pushing through those holes try to slide the lock cylinder up.
Photograph Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas Engineering Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Gas Nut

4) Take the lock out. Full without any other disassembly.
Automotive tire Gas Engineering Automotive wheel system Auto part

·
Registered
380 Posts
Wao… thank you for this.… I did try to push thru those two holes, but couldn’t get it out Back then. Now seeing the metal tab, it doesn’ seems need a lot of force to push it at all…

Mod, suggest sticky this thread please!

·
Registered
2 Posts
At this time I have disassembled 3 locks and only one of them was easy. It does not require a lot of force but two of those locks was difficult to push up.

·
Premium Member
16,987 Posts
For my replacements, I got me a couple of door handles from a luder, with the good door tumblers in them, then I took them too the locksmith and they rekeyed all the tumblers and cut me 4 OE type copies.
Now I have all my doors working and locks.
I did not get the valet key for the trunk and glove box, but I disconnected my truck cable since it was damaged anyways and added electric pop trunk since my alarm had the option.
I paid about $55 for all of the rekeying and copies of keys.
Was done in 2 hours.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts