Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How do I get the cylinder out of the door handle? linkage is off, handle is out of the door..there is pin that looks like it goes through the cylinder...do I use a hammer and punch to push it out. Its not budging. Is this the correct way to remove the cylinder? My 91 helms didn't have anything and I did some searches and only found someguy asking the same question 2 years ago with no replies! nevermind i figured it out what a piece of crap.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Can you elaborate a little more. I am in the same situation.

I removed the clip behind the lock cylinder, but the cylinder still stuck. No clear visible way to unlock or remove it.

·
Registered
1989 Accord LXi Coupe; 1989 Prelude 2.0s; 1964 Dodge Dart GT: 1993 Kawasaki ZX-11; 1982 Honda CB900
376 Posts
That was probably me, I didnt figure it out & nobody had an answer or didnt answer....I cant figure out how to pull the lock out of the door handle either.

Spacemaster, I am in the same boat, I have removed the white lock pivot, but cant figure out how to remove the lock

·
Registered
380 Posts
I can’t just remove the clip, the white piece, the spring, to could not figure out how to get the cylinder off.

Further search, it seems we can pull it out by pressing in the two holes on both sides of the cylinder lock. I am struggling of doing it, it is so difficult when two hands push 2 small screw drivers through the holes, and there is no hand left to pull the cylinder out.

·
Registered
1989 Accord LXi Coupe; 1989 Prelude 2.0s; 1964 Dodge Dart GT: 1993 Kawasaki ZX-11; 1982 Honda CB900
376 Posts
It appears u cant press in thru the two small holes because they open into the hard shell of the key cylinder. I see no tabs in there to push....

·
Premium Member
16,987 Posts
you have to remove the entire door handle to get to the lock cylinder.
Its a bitch so be prepared.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Well Sean, I obviously have the door handle removed........picture above. so you dont know how to remove it either, huh?

We are doomed....

·
Premium Member
16,987 Posts
Well Sean, I obviously have the door handle removed........picture above. so you dont know how to remove it either, huh?

We are doomed....
I changed out the tumbler after I removed the handle. Its been years so I forgot how I did it..lol

·
Registered
65 Posts
Some idiot tried to open lock on driver side with screwdriver on my car few years ago and screwed up lock on my driver side. I had to remove and re-key lock and took some pictures while doing that. Will try to find pictures and post them today or tomorrow...

·
Registered
376 Posts
Ill go out on a limb here. After looking over the lock tumbler, there is a lil rubber plug next to the right hand mounting thread. Can it be removed, if so whats behind it, a tab for us to push to release the tumbler perhaps???

Maybe this will jog Seans memory

·
Registered
1990 Honda Prelude 2.0Si, 1989 Honda Prelude 2.0Si 4ws, 1990 Honda Prelude Si 4ws, etc.
819 Posts
I also am going to need this information....the '90 of the two ludes I'm working on is missing its key. The ignition cylinder is already trashed (looks like someone had a go at it with a cold chisel and a hammer). All the locks on my runner are good, and I have keys to it, so changing it over to the project is possible....I know how to change an ignition lock cylinder and a trunk lock cylinder, but the doors I've never done before. I don't have them apart yet, so this isn't that urgent to me, but it'll be important later on - I'm interested to see how to do this. Blaine: I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking at in your picture, but Spacemaster said he had that all apart already and it still didn't move....so I'm fresh out of ideas on how to move it, though it occurs to me that there might be an outer bezel around the lock that we might need to take off before it will slide out....I'm at work and not looking at mine right now, otherwise I'd be able to answer that myself. I'll check it out when I get home and see if I can figure it out. I'll reply with any new information I find.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I have found out from Honda that if all lock cylinders are still OEM, you can get keys made from Honda by just bringing in your registration form to verify vin number. OEM locks work with ONE key, ignition, trunk and door handles. @ least it does on my 89 Accord.

If the key switch is OEM it has those BS anti theft bolts on it. You need a small cold chisel and a hammer. Start tapping the inside of the bolt slot a bit at a time. Eventually the bolt will begin to turn to a point u can eventually remove it and replace it with a hex head bolt. Pain in the ass but I managed to do it for my Accord. I now have 1 key specifically for ignition and the other for all other locks, since they were all OEM.

My picture is of the back side of a replacement door lock/handle that magically works with my OEM ignition key!! However, if I cant figure out how to get the lock out with a door handle I can hold in my hand, Im not going to be able to do it and my OEM door handle I have yet to remove. However, if replacing the entire door handle is the only Way to replace the lock, then That is the Way....

Lock is still there as NOBODY has come up with how to remove the cylinder. Im going to take my handle into Honda this week and see if they have any tricks up their sleeve, but Im beginning to think once its in there its in there to stay.

·
Registered
70 Posts

We are doomed....
The spring clip must be removed; it is the semi-circular washer stainless-looking thing which looks like 3/4 of a washer at the base in your picture; use a small screwdriver at the opposite side of the cut out and pry it off and out of the slot. Make sure you have a piece of cloth covering the thing so it does not fly off into the blue yonder, or you will have a heck of a time finding it again. Once this lock washer is off, you can pull out the cylinder!
Good Luck

·
Registered
70 Posts
I am attaching a copy of your posted picture with some markings to show what I mean - the red arrow points to the locking washer, the yellow circle shows the area where it is open - the cut out part of the locking washer, and the green arrow is where you should insert the small screwdriver to wedge off the lock washer. The washer itself is like a spring and fits into a groove on the cylinder - you cant test this out by trying to rotate it in this groove. The tension of the spring washer keeps it in the groove, and because the washer itself is larger than the hole the cylinder fits in, it prevents the lock cylinder from sliding out of the handle.
Good Luck
Space Circle Still life photography Wire

·
Registered
1990 Honda Prelude 2.0Si, 1989 Honda Prelude 2.0Si 4ws, 1990 Honda Prelude Si 4ws, etc.
819 Posts
LOL It's called a circlip, all. It's a snap-ring for all intents and purposes, and yes, it will fly off and get lost, so placing a cloth or something over the top while you work at it would be a good idea. Put the screwdriver blade right about where the green arrow is and push away from the center using the heel of your hand like a hammer, and it should slide off in that direction. If it rotates around the shaft its attached to, that's normal - just try to put as much perpendicular force on it as you can to prevent it from doing that.
I'd have said all of this earlier, and maybe I misunderstood, but I thought Spacemaster already had all that apart and still had no luck getting the cylinder out? Also, I've seen lock cylinders where all the internal tumblers are held in place by a circlip like that, and they might fall out the back. Just be careful, ya?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Thanks for the feedback Mike. I have indeed removed said "Circlip" as you have described, but after that the lock still doesnt budge. Did this before I ever started this thread :) Ill play around with it again to see what I might have missed.

As TJ has said, Sean and others have had it all apart before but they must have been stoned when they did it cuz none of them can remember what they did to get the lock cylinder out. LOL!!!

·
Registered
819 Posts
In light of the progress of this thread so far....I think for my project, I might just forego the whole idea of trying to remove the lock cylinder and just change out the whole door handle when I'm ready. The only reason this will work for me is because both the donor car and receiver are red - that won't be the case for everyone, of course. My plans will depend on what we find out between now and when I'm ready to tackle this issue, which will be a few months. Engine and swap work first, then I'll worry about this.

Reactions: Blainethemono

·
Registered
70 Posts
Thanks for the feedback Mike. I have indeed removed said "Circlip" as you have described, but after that the lock still doesnt budge. Did this before I ever started this thread :) Ill play around with it again to see what I might have missed.

As TJ has said, Sean and others have had it all apart before but they must have been stoned when they did it cuz none of them can remember what they did to get the lock cylinder out. LOL!!!
You may need to insert the key and rotate the cylinder after taking off the circlip (thank you tjcross for the terminology - it's been a looong time since I fiddled with these things!) Anyway, if I remember correctly, there is probably a channel in the door handle so that the lock cylinder fits only one way, and may need some encouragement to slide out. Will see if I can dig up more dirt on it this evening.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
819 Posts
You may need to insert the key and rotate the cylinder after taking off the circlip (thank you tjcross for the terminology - it's been a looong time since I fiddled with these things!) Anyway, if I remember correctly, there is probably a channel in the door handle so that the lock cylinder fits only one way, and may need some encouragement to slide out. Will see if I can dig up more dirt on it this evening.

Good Luck.
LOL I'm a machinist - Not an automotive machinist, but a lot of the equipment, measurement terminology and other tools and parts are largely the same. I use that stuff all the time, so it's fresh for me. I'm no stranger to fixing cars - I've never owned a "new" car in my entire life, nor am I likely to in the future. I paid cash for every one of mine, not because I can't get a loan or financing but because I'm not interested in taking on that kind of debt - I'm already in the hole many thousands of dollars for student loans and don't want any more. Besides, buying a car is literally the worst investment you will ever make with your money and I'm well aware of that. I don't want to make that investment with someone else's money and ultimately pay more for a car that will only be worth less and less as time goes by....unless it's a Ferrari or something LOL. So...I typically buy older cars, some of which are somewhat broken and the owner is getting rid of cheap because it's no longer worth their cash to have it fixed. It's worth it to me because I do it myself and once it's fixed I end up with a car that's generally worth more than I paid for it. It's the story with my '09 Volvo XC90 3.2 R-Design. Previous owner sold it to me cheap because the traction control wasn't working, and the dealership wanted to charge an arm and a leg to fix it (because it's a Volvo, and parts are expensive), and the driver seat leather was separating along the door-side seam. Other than the air pressure sensors in the tires also dying, that was the only problem....so I fixed it with a used steering angle sensor (still expensive, but not nearly as much), stitched up the leather seat (My mother was a seamstress, and I didn't grow up in that house not learning anything LOL) and it's literally been the nicest car I've ever owned. Heated leather seats, premium sound system, AWD, very responsive suspension, etc.
But it's rare that I sell cars that I've done that procedure with, unless I sell them to the scrapyard. I usually keep them until they break in a permanent manner, or someone wrecks them. I've never owned a car I loved more than my lude. It's been the most fun car ever. I really liked my old Trans Am...until I got my first lude and found out what a sportscar is supposed to handle like.

Anyway, this is all beside the point LOL....It just occurred to me that it's also possible the cylinder has a twist-lock to hold it in place - for installation, slide the lock cylinder into the receptacle, rotate 90 degrees, and two tabs on the lock cylinder hold it in place against the sheet metal? I've seen loads of similar mounting devices in the trade. Try that, maybe? Remove the circlip and related, and then try to rotate the cylinder counterclockwise and see if it moves?

Reactions: Blainethemono

·
Registered
380 Posts
Well, I brought the whole to Locksmith, they did remove and rekey to my original key. They know how to remove it. sorry, I forgot to ask how he removed the cylinder, as I was so happy pay and drove away.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts