Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i am officially confused! I just got done doing a rebuild on my h22a4 due to a spun rod bearing. I did all the proper break in procedures and piston ring seating procedures. All the time i was getting idle surge once the car was warmed up. I have had idle surge before, so i tried every diagnostic i knew. I srewed the white down in the fitv, tried a different iacv(a friends) checked for vacuum leaks useing brake cleaner and by covering the throttle body which killed the engine. last i checked my tps voltage to see if it got bumped. So i adjusted it to .5v and 4.44v cuz thats the closest i could get it. The surge went away but my idle was just not right. Each time i would let off the gas, like come up to a stop light, it would drop to 1000 than go up to 1500 and than gradually settle back down to about 900. Way better than surging but not smooth like it used to be at 750 or so. So i decided to look into it again. This time when i tried checking the tps i could get my closed throttle at .5 but when i eased open the throttle my voltage was all over the place! So i assumed my tps was bad since the voltage didnt smoothly climb to ~4.5v. Got the new tps, put it in to get .03v closed and 3.21v open!? put the old tps back in and get the same freaking thing!!! So today i used my helms manual to troubleshoot. Oh and fyi I havent thrown any CEL's during all this. Had 5v reference at connector but when i checked for resistance at the sensor between terminals 1 and 2 i had like 1.2 k ohms. helms says if not between .5-.9k ohms than i need a new throttle body!? WTF!!? Also checked between 2 and 3 which helms says 4.5k ohms and i have nothing. And now ecu is deciding to throw the p0122 tps low voltage cel instantly after cleared and started. Do you think i really need a new thottle body? Does anybody know? Sorry for such the long post but im at my wits end!? Please help!!

·
'01 Milano Red - BB615
982 Posts
So i am officially confused! I just got done doing a rebuild on my h22a4 due to a spun rod bearing. I did all the proper break in procedures and piston ring seating procedures. All the time i was getting idle surge once the car was warmed up. I have had idle surge before, so i tried every diagnostic i knew. I srewed the white down in the fitv, tried a different iacv(a friends) checked for vacuum leaks useing brake cleaner and by covering the throttle body which killed the engine. last i checked my tps voltage to see if it got bumped. So i adjusted it to .5v and 4.44v cuz thats the closest i could get it. The surge went away but my idle was just not right. Each time i would let off the gas, like come up to a stop light, it would drop to 1000 than go up to 1500 and than gradually settle back down to about 900. Way better than surging but not smooth like it used to be at 750 or so. So i decided to look into it again. This time when i tried checking the tps i could get my closed throttle at .5 but when i eased open the throttle my voltage was all over the place! So i assumed my tps was bad since the voltage didnt smoothly climb to ~4.5v. Got the new tps, put it in to get .03v closed and 3.21v open!? put the old tps back in and get the same freaking thing!!! So today i used my helms manual to troubleshoot. Oh and fyi I havent thrown any CEL's during all this. Had 5v reference at connector but when i checked for resistance at the sensor between terminals 1 and 2 i had like 1.2 k ohms. helms says if not between .5-.9k ohms than i need a new throttle body!? WTF!!? Also checked between 2 and 3 which helms says 4.5k ohms and i have nothing. And now ecu is deciding to throw the p0122 tps low voltage cel instantly after cleared and started. Do you think i really need a new thottle body? Does anybody know? Sorry for such the long post but im at my wits end!? Please help!!
The manual is saying that you need to replace the throttle body because you're technically not supposed to be able to replace the TPS by itself on the stock throttle body.

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
its VERY easy to break even a brand new tps on the first adjust without even knowing it. if you turn it too far it snaps inside but you dont know it. i did it on mine and it drove me crazy till i bought another one. adjust for .45 or .5 and whatever your open is id leave alone if its close. check for vacuum leaks too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I did break the plastic stop on the inside but that was after it wouldn't calibrate and I got pissed and forced it. It didn't help that it was 9 degrees outside either though.. I just don't understand how my Tps would just go bad when it worked totally fine. And than the new one act the exact same way..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Right. I said I had broke it. But I broke it after I was still getting the weird voltage reading. .03 closed and 3.21 open. And the .03 never changed when the Tps was adjusted. That's why I suck the old one back on and got the same readings. Than I put the new one back on again rechecked it and that's when I forced it cuz I was pissed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Man. You think the throttle cable may need adjusting. I just cant see the throttle body being the problem if the TPS sensor is good the the FITV mod has been done.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Make sure when you are putting the tps on that you are aliging everythign correctly. You can go and buy a new TPS from NAPA or dash distributors for around 50 bucks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts