Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so one of my taillights was getting moisture in so i did some research and the most common cause seems to be the gaskets. well of course my local honda dealership didnt have it in stock and majestic honda want $28 shipped, for some foam! so i decide to do it myself.

what u need:
2 sheets of foam from ur locally craft store, like Micheals. 99 cents each thats all u have to buy.
8mm wrench or socket wrench
scissors
pen or marker

1st u need to remove the taillights. i dont have pics for this but its pretty simple. pull back the trunk liner and u should see 6 nuts holding the tail light in. use 8mm to remove them and slide the taillight out. if u need an further instructions on this stop now cause u shouldnt be doing any work on ur car, lol.

remove the gaskets and save them. u will use as templets for the new foam.

ok heres what the foam looks like.

now place the old gasket on top of the new foam and trace it.

now cut out what u traced.

last reinstall the new gaskets to the taillights and put them back on the car.

i just did this today so i cant review how well it works but ill update this in a few weeks or so to let u know.

·
_
2,494 Posts
you are one clever man. props on being frugal, and equally as smart.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Lol wow.. something as cheap as 99cents versus honda's $28 shipped... i gotta do this some day cuz im geting moisture in the passenger rears

·
Registered
119 Posts
i can vouch for this process. i did this about 2 months ago.exact same foam except i didnt use scissors.same exact process just with box cutter and til this day not 1 drop of water in my trunk.my tail lights didnt get moisture i did it for wet back seats but it works!!!!

·
Registered
1,243 Posts

·
Type-Esss
4,714 Posts
Yeah, I too am interested if its still working 2 months later. My OEM seals lasted for like 8 years, but if these can prove their worth and save me 26 bucks I am so down.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
alright sorry for the late reponse, but ive had these in for 3 months now and NO LEAKS! so far so good. well worth the $2.

·
Type-Esss
4,714 Posts
I was wondering the same thing, I can't find foam the same thickness as the OEM seals, but I dunno if double-stacking would be better or worse...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts