Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i got sick of looking at my cracked and faded old window trim so i sanded off the last of the black

taped it all off with 3m automotive tape

and painted with duplicolor trim paint!

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
it's probably a lot easier to just take them off rather than taping off so much...plus you want to remove all of the rubber coating they have before attempting to paint for it to come out really nice...looks like you did a good job on it though

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I used a razor to get off the big chunks of rubber and then I just sanded the crap out of it with a drimmel. If I took it off I would have to remove the inner door panel and pop off all the clips without breaking them. Yeah it took a little work to tape and sand but I did both sides in like 5 minutes.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
nice DIY. i did this on my 3gp.UNFORTUNATELY i used BBQ black and it chipped after 6 months. i also used Engine enamel and that chipped in 4 months. lastly i resorted to rustoleum and it lasted 8 months. i pretty much gave up on it and went the vynle route.

·
Registered
229 Posts
So how do you go back to Chrome Window Trims? cause the guy who had my 2nd gen before my friend had it... had a rubber trim ontop then a black paint. Which I hate >_< i tried to remove it, but i think i removed to much of it >_>

·
Registered
844 Posts
Try paint remover. Paint it on the area's you want gone, let it sit for 5 min, then brush it off, and clean it up. That's the only thing i can think of right now.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I used a drimmel to ( sand ) off the small chunks of rubber stuff then hand sanded with fine grit paper to fet it all finnished up before painting.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Yeah rather than taping it off its worth also using some paper to cover any adjoining panels/windows that might cop overspray. Also do not try this on a windy day while your car is outside!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Yeah rather than taping it off its worth also using some paper to cover any adjoining panels/windows that might cop overspray. Also do not try this on a windy day while your car is outside!
So if I sanded the trim down the the metal would that need Primer? Cause I was using a sander, and half of the paint is still stuck and the rest well, its just that rubber they left on it. Must've put super glue or something >_>

·
Registered
920 Posts
NFI - primer is always always preferably - espcially with parts in the elements, copping heat, or are plastic. So basically any part on your lude. IT wont be tragic if you havent, but would be a better and likely last longer if you did.

·
Registered
229 Posts
NFI - primer is always always preferably - espcially with parts in the elements, copping heat, or are plastic. So basically any part on your lude. IT wont be tragic if you havent, but would be a better and likely last longer if you did.
Alright. I also remember on the passenger side. I stripped off entire rubber thingy. So now i'm prone to having water get into my power window system v.v

I'll fix it. Don't know when tho

·
Registered
23 Posts
great way to do it. i just put black electrical tape over mine. looks the same as oem. good for the future when the tape falls off.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts