Honda Prelude Forum banner

161 - 180 of 180 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
I just did all this and upon start up i had an oil leak immediately from the front balance shaft seal. I did have the retainer installed. I did notice that my seal went in more compared to your pics. Did i install the seal wrong? I installed all the seals until it stopped. Now im worried all my seals are installed wrong. All seals are OEM except the front balance shaft seal. I jut got the OEM seal today and will be installing it. Does it sit flush or should i tap it in until it stops like I did with all the rest. The leak came from the center of the leak not the outer since i used a small amount of gasket maker. Hope I don't have to redo all this again. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
crank seal replacement

Hello thank you very much for this write up and all the pics, I truly appreciate it.I am at the point where I want to replace the crank seal but I cannot remove the timing gear, I took the crank sensors off everything is going great but at this point I wonder if I need a tool or something to get that one gear off....number 17 on most parts break out pics....if you can give any tips on this old thread I would love to finish up :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
resovled

Hello thank you very much for this write up and all the pics, I truly appreciate it.I am at the point where I want to replace the crank seal but I cannot remove the timing gear, I took the crank sensors off everything is going great but at this point I wonder if I need a tool or something to get that one gear off....number 17 on most parts break out pics....if you can give any tips on this old thread I would love to finish up :)

not sure if this thread is still active but I got the gear out with two large flat screw drivers on either side. Broke a small fin on one side so now I need to buy a new one, great thread thank you once again.

·
Idiotic Thread Locker!
11,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #169
I just did all this and upon start up i had an oil leak immediately from the front balance shaft seal. I did have the retainer installed. I did notice that my seal went in more compared to your pics. Did i install the seal wrong? I installed all the seals until it stopped. Now im worried all my seals are installed wrong. All seals are OEM except the front balance shaft seal. I jut got the OEM seal today and will be installing it. Does it sit flush or should i tap it in until it stops like I did with all the rest. The leak came from the center of the leak not the outer since i used a small amount of gasket maker. Hope I don't have to redo all this again. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks
If you have a leak from a new oil seal on the balance shaft then the seal was either the wrong size or installed incorrectly, perhaps folded the inner edge over accidentally as you pushed it on? I've seen that happen. Seals should be tight going on and require a large deep socket to seat them evenly, the balance shaft seal can be tough since you have little room to work.

not sure if this thread is still active but I got the gear out with two large flat screw drivers on either side. Broke a small fin on one side so now I need to buy a new one, great thread thank you once again.
Glad you got it off, that's really all you can do is pry it around the rim with 2 flat screwdrivers, there is no good way to grab it since you can't use pliers on the gear teeth as it would damage them and then shred up your timing belt. Some careful application of heat (blow torch) can help it loosen up but you don't want to damage your oil seal if you end up not being able to remove the gear.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Completed this last weekend with my big hands! Thanks for the all the details; definitely made it much easier and less daunting! I suggest getting the 50mm Hex Crankshaft Crank Damper Pulley Holding Wrench Socket Tool ($15.55). I do wish I would have adjusted the valves while I was in there.
Poor Lude had sat for ~14 mouths prior to this b/c the crankshaft pulley fell off while driving, and then life (two babies in 14 months) happened.
BIG THANKS AGAIN!!!

Sent from my stang5litre Edition 5.0 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
^murica......its what you fought for.

You don't like it then don't allow the corporate entity to rule your nation and develop your laws and set your social standards.

·
Super Moderator
6,383 Posts
All of the photos are still viewable once you click the dead link. Although opened in PB's page - still viewable.

I'm just as frustrated, many years of write ups have gone dead because of this and I just don't have the time to re host it all right now.

·
Registered
257 Posts
All of the photos are still viewable once you click the dead link. Although opened in PB's page - still viewable.

I'm just as frustrated, many years of write ups have gone dead because of this and I just don't have the time to re host it all right now.
Seriously. Its a real jerk move they pulled. Its not even cheap to pay for their service too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone know where the pics are hosted? I'm getting ready to do this with my new-to-me Prelude and I feel like this write-up could help alot. I searched everywhere and can't find anything.
EDIT:Ooops, didnt see this was already brought up. My apologies.

·
Super Moderator
6,383 Posts
Fixed the PB links. If anyone needs any writeups or build threads restored etc, just bump the thread saying so or PM me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey I have a quick question. I’m using your write up to help me along as I do the exact same thing but just about all of your pictures are blurred out except for a few on my end. I’m using an iPad Pro and I’m trying to figure out what do I need to be able to see the pictures clearly. I found the write up on how to post but I can’t find anything explaining my situation.

161 - 180 of 180 Posts