Honda Prelude Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Type-Esss
4,714 Posts
So, how are these holding up after a week and a half or so? Impressions? I have an opportunity to get some Legend calipers much cheaper than I could get NSX ones for, and I'm thinking I'll just not worry about the piston sizing if it hasn't caused any problems for you.

·
Bearderator
8,519 Posts
Well I like this thread. Decent discussion. OP did good putting up part numbers and pricing, and had plenty of decent pictures.

+rep.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
So, how are these holding up after a week and a half or so? Impressions? I have an opportunity to get some Legend calipers much cheaper than I could get NSX ones for, and I'm thinking I'll just not worry about the piston sizing if it hasn't caused any problems for you.
After a week i could tell you that I'm absolutely happy with my new brakes! Stopping distance right now noticeably less than it was before, braking power fells a lot better. If you gonna go same way I'm pretty sure you will not gonna regret about that change.
The only bad thing i already told - those guys from RockAuto sent me a problem calipers (that bleeding screws not original and it's kind o bigger), since that i'm can't bleed brake system correct. Guys from RockAuto ready to exchange the calipers to a new ones (they even ready to cover shipping back fees), but I'm not sure if the new set will have the same problem, so i don't know should i order a new set from they or leave these calipers (they works fine).

Well I like this thread. Decent discussion. OP did good putting up part numbers and pricing, and had plenty of decent pictures.

+rep.
Thank you!

To be honest brake fade has really not been a problem for me at all, even with a bit of track action under my belt. This is my dd, so it doesn't see much abuse, but I tend to make a few auto-x's each season, and a track day every year or so, along with a bit of very spirited street driving once or twice a year as well (Tail of the Dragon or something similar). I like the idea of thicker rotors, but not sure I honestly need that, considering those are for heavier cars and I have removed a decent amount of weight from my car. So maybe I'd be happier with larger stock thickness rotors, but at $500 I honestly don't think its worth it, considering they're still 23mm and use the stock calipers. I'm not saying they weren't for you, and I'm sure they look better as well, its just difficult for me to justify that cost.

grushko, I assume you are talking about the CL1 Euro-R's, aka the one with H22A redtop? I don't know of any cheap way to get those in the US, though there may be another application that they're used in here, I'll have to keep my eyes open. If I can't find a larger rotor for cheap though, I'll probably still get the thicker rotors. Probably the best setup I can put together for the money would be NSX calipers and brackets, rotors and pads from a Legend (95 GS??), stock rears with good pads (I like PFC myself), and my existing SS lines. Again, I honestly haven't found the need for extra fade resistance when using good pads, but of course it can never hurt. Mainly though, I'm looking for better pedal response and braking torque without being so strong its difficult to modulate, and/or harming brake balance and increasing overall stop times/distances.
Yeah, i mean CL1 rotors. I believe they are 302mm or something, and they suppose to work with CL1 brackets and lengend calipers (that my russian friends told me) .

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Yesterday i received a call from RockAuto and representative on a phone explain to me that they gonna order same calipers from the different location, so the problem with the bleeder screw will not gonna chase me (they did a mistake, but the y trying to be best). Okay, let's see how it will work, i hope new week i will get them, before i'm gonna go on South Florida Meet (want to paint them again yellow as they was before).

·
Type-Esss
4,714 Posts
Glad they got the calipers figured out for ya, and glad you're liking em. I can get some fresh reman for less than $100, so I can't pass that up. I may try to use a vac. bleeder and run the bleeders upside down, otherwise I'll just grind off the hose brackets and swap em like you did.

I'm really interested in the CL1 rotor setup, but I can't figure out how to get those here for anything close to reasonable prices. I'll be sitting on the calipers for a bit before I put them on, so if you figure something out about those, lemme know! Thanks again for the great write-up, wish I could give you double rep, haha.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
For those who are willing to do the same setup i found a really good deal for same calipers on amazon just fir $25 left and $60 right:
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Raybestos-FRC10628-Premium-Remanufactured-Caliper/dp/accessories/B000C6ZRXW[/ame]
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Raybestos-FRC10627-Premium-Remanufactured-Caliper/dp/B000C71DJI/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1311615346&sr=1-1[/ame]

·
Registered
789 Posts
Does anyone know about how much a shop would charge to do this?

I just got pads and rotors done on my car a few months ago. I'll probably snatch these up and then just wait until I need new pads again and change them out all at once.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Does anyone know about how much a shop would charge to do this?

I just got pads and rotors done on my car a few months ago. I'll probably snatch these up and then just wait until I need new pads again and change them out all at once.
You can call them and ask how much they will charge you if you will bring your own calipers and rotors for replace and bleed your brakes. It's actually pretty easy job if you have all tools and a big breaker bar. I will suggest $80 - that is what i think fair to pay shop to do that job to cover their expenses.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Anyone look into the difference between legend gs, nsx and prelude brake master cylinder/booster? are they compatible with 5th gens?

·
Registered
15 Posts
defiantly going to look into doing this, looks like an easy install, can you use any 282mm and 28mm roters? not just ebay ones?

What are the advantages and disadvantages between these and a BBK, what about the rear brakes?

·
Registered
2 Posts
That is not a secret for everyone, that the standard prelude brakes is not enought powerful. So here i'm gonna tell you how to install two piston calipers with minimum modification.
First - do a research. Acura Legend Coupe 93-95 have two piston calipers with the same bot patter bracket. Also as i know Acura NSX calipers would work too.
You have two ways how to put two piston calipers on. You could run new calipers on your old brackets with stock rotors (23mm thick). Acura Legent rotors suppose to be run on 28mm think rotor, so make sure you will put new brake pads to keep them on place. Or you could install Acura Legend brackets and run your setup on 28mm thick rotors. I dec

I did the same upgrade to my 5gen and my brake pedal went straight to the floor and had little to no braking power so I ended up putting my old ones back on and everything was just fine what would make the pedal do that with the 2 piston brakes

·
Administrator
6,723 Posts
Sounds like you didn't fully bleed the system.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts