Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First of all, I just want to respond to everyone who has ever called this easy with a strong "SCREW YOU". I would gladly change a head gasket or install a full exhaust(with seized and rusty bolts too) than do this crap again. But I mean, different people are good at different things.

These are all the tools you need. A long and short philips, a flat head for prying panels, and a ratchet with 8mm, 10mm, and 1/4 to hold a philips drill bit.

That aside. I bought my prelude a couple years ago. Only 3rd gen I've seen in person with an antenna! (No, I've never made it to a meet.)

When I got it, the sunroof cover was not installed. With summer here again, I decided it was finally time to tackle this. Yesterday, I did.

The first thing you need to do is remove everything physically attached to the headliner. The screws in the sun visors are exposed. Simple enough. The rear view mirror probably has a panel covering it's screws. My doesn't(Someone send me an extra one, please?). You only need to remove the triangle of screws in the black part attached to the mirror!

Before you take out the last screw, grab the assembly with your hand so you can support it's weight. Otherwise, it will fall out and yank on the wiring for your seatbelt indicator.

Next is your dome light. With the cover off, it just has two 8mm nuts. The bolts are coming from the sunroof casing.

Further back in the car. There's a circular...button? Just turn it and it comes out.

Now, the only thing holding up your headliner is the pillars. This is where i began to think FML. But before you go in, just know that you only need to loosen the tops to free the headliner. To remove the entire pillar you need to take out the dash and the rear side panels(which requires taking out the back seats), but you DON'T need to do that. If you can get to this step, the headliner will come out.

First, you need to remove stuff attached to the pillars.
Handles. Screws under a cover.

Hanger. Note how it opens so you don't break the cover.

Side without hanger still has a screw inside.

From here i started with the front pillars. If you wedge a flathead between the black rubber door trim, you can pull the door trim away from the car to free the pillars plastic hooks.

That's the easy part. Now there are metal tabs plugged into the frame of the car. I'm still not exactly sure the proper method to remove them, but most of the time I just pulled down HARD and they came out. When it was time, they pressed back in with some force and with an audible "snap". This is what they look like.

As you can see it has an "L" shape on both sides. The bottom of the L should be where you can see it, and not on the inside of the slot. A problem I ran into in one place was that one side of the L WAS pressed inside a slot OR it was caught inside the headliner, instead of between the headliner and the ceiling. I had to be kind of violent with it to get it out, but it didn't cause a problem.

Now the front pillar actually slots into the top of the rear pillar so before you can pull out the tabs closest to the back you'll need to start removing the rear pillar. What you need to know is that the rear pillar is screwed in under the rear side panel. I started trying to pry it up and ended up breaking the same metal tab on both sides of the car. It didn't affect fitment at all.

The broken tab.

This view shows the "L"

So, if you follow where the rear panel enters the door jamb, you'll see that it is not secured. Just pull it back and you will be able to see inside to the bottom of the rear pillar. You will be able to get to three screws at the front.
Front

Middle

And rear. Use the ratchet.

Now you can pop pieces out the way you did the front. Go from the outsides of the rear pillar and never from the inside where the window is and you shouldn't have any trouble.
Here is the ceiling inside the rear pillar. For reference, the screw hole on the left was my hanger hook.

At this point, I took a break and washed my wife's car!

So that black dot you saw. Remember seeing on at the front? These three dots are the last thing holding up the headliner. I COULD NOT get them out. They aren't the same as those Honda clips that hold the bumper covers. They're just stuck in the and you can't pry them out. The headliner starts to fall apart if the you try too hard.

SOOOO, I just let the clips stay there. Wasn't the end of the world.

You need to separate the headliner from the ceiling now. So, just stick your hand on top of it near the door.

The front and back of the headliner are stuck in slots. In the front mine just came down with the slot.....with lots of black goop. I guess that's how it was attached.

To remove it without pulling down the slots, you need to be able to slide it forwards and backwards. For that you need to detach it from the sunroof slot first. Just pick a spot, pull on the sunroof slot and grab the headliner with a finger and pull it out. Might chip that spot a little, but then the rest will come out.

Now you can slide the entire headliner towards the front of the car to remove it. You can see the rear slot still attached to the window.

I saw this on a lot of other threads while researching, but you DO NOT need to bend your headliner to get it out. Just tilt your seats all the way back and you can effortlessly remove it out of either door.

Here I got excited because I thought I'd slide my sunroof cover back in and call it a day. Nope there's a whole assembly up there that needs to come out too.

**************Strawberry Milkshake Break*********************

The sunroof is NOT hard to remove, but it is too large(wide) and heavy(In my opinion) for one person to reinstall. So if you're doing this part, I suggesting having over at least one friend to help hold it back up while you get a few bolts finger tight.

The first thing to do is remove the drain tubes from the four corners. there are brass pinchers that you just have to squeeze with your fingers and move away from the assembly and the drain tubes will release.

There are ten bolts going around the outside that need be removed. Then you can slide it forward and remove it. It likely won't fall down on you because at the back there are two spikes that enter the frame of the car. That's why it must slide forward to be removed. You DO NOT need to remove any of the bolts close to the sunroof motor. They are holding the motor to the assembly, not the assembly to the car. Only remove the ten bolts that look like this going around the assembly.

Once it was hanging down in the front, I tried to install the cover from the front with the sun roof open, but that didn't work. It has to come all the way down.
Failure.

Sunroof down and closed.

Install the cover from the back. You will have to bend it in the middle slightly. Install one side in the silver groove, let the cover bulge skyward in the middle then install in the other groove. the push down in the middle at it will go in. The edges of the cover are cloth and mine didn't slide smoothly. Not knowing if oil would remain on cloth, i sprayed some ww40 and baby oil into the rails of the cover. Seemed like it might have helped. Iunno. The sunroof pushes it back like it should and it takes a tiny bit of muscle to pull it back forward. I'm fine with that.

Here are two shots where you can see how I damaged the headliner over thost black plugs.

This is where the front was glued to the windshield. I misspoke earlier. The front has to be removed the way I did it because these pieces are stapled together. You can see the black glue too.

Sunroof installed.

Here is a short video of it working. In the beginning, I show some places where I damaged my car witht he sharp edges of the sunroof assembly. So be careful. You can also see where I got black goop in my car from not being able to thoroughly wash it off. I chipped the paint on my console(SIGH, scuffed, two coats of primer and three coats of white undone just like that.) and I put a huge gash in my rear panel. The panel is ok though because it has dry rot on top and I'm going to replace it with a new panel anyway. Ignore the pregnant wife.

Thanks for reading guys! I really hope I helped. There is a lot of stuff out there but there's nothing like detail and pictures, right!?

I was working on this from about 1:30 to 7:30. I did at one point, though, clean out my wife's car and hand wash it. Also, thirty minutes of milkshake. =] Feel free to ask any questions.

Also, sorry about the blank post earlier. I used the wrong type of image links but I couldn't fix it because I had to go pick up a crib.

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
nice tutorial! Body trim/ door panel removal tools would of helped. I will edit this and post pics of them later. Lowes has a kobalt kit. Gearwrench also makes them and one of them the curved design is available from kd tools.

·
Memento Mori
7,515 Posts
Remember to always check the procedures in the online manual first.

I hate to break this to you but all that was unnecessary. To remove/install the sunshade all you need to do is pop the sunroof glass out of the top and slip it in/out. It's a 10-20 minute job, check page 668 if you want to see it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Cudaboy. I knew panel removal tools existed, but I didn't have any.

Mustardcat, that's what I tried when I first got the car, and I couldn't get it to work out. Either way, the rest of the info is relevant.

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
This helped me get at my sunroof motor today. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
Did you have to replace it? If so did you have to lower the sunroof pan? I will reread this when I get ready and read the helms. This is on my to do list. Any tips Andrew?

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
So far all I've done is pull the motor out of the wrecked car. The motor is easily accessible once you get the headliner off. OP addressed everything about that very well. I am not pulling the sunroof assembly unless I need to, i.e. if the worm gears are stripped in my 88.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I haven't been on the site in a while! Glad to see some people got use out of this. Someone PM'd and asked me to rehost the pictures with imgur. I don't have enough posts to reply in the PM but I'll get to it as soon as I get a chance!

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
Thanks a million! Flicker works too

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
ayy they are working right now so is my oddball and large tool thread pics. None of them where there Friday night. But yeah if you used photobucket like l did they will eventually be gone for good

1 - 13 of 13 Posts