Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Wonder Bread
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DIY FiberGlass boxes (many pics)
I'm gonna post what i got done so far up to now and will post more when i get it done so here we go.
I got all my supplies through work you might also be able to get everything at walmart or a home depot I will list of what i can remember that i needed:

-fiberglass mat
-resin/hardener
-tape different sizes
-latex gloves
-respurator good one (trust me)
-pan (to lay the resin in)
-paint brush
-scizzors/exacto blade
-dremel or other ratary cutter
-safety glasses
-heat lamp if it is colder than 10Celsius
-crappy cloths (this stuff will ruin your cloths)
-glue gun/glue sticks (many)
-dowels
-cloth (larger lenghts)
-saw
-sand paper
-bondo or putty

make sure to do it outside cuz it will be really strong when you lay it.

First off we need to tape off the side you wanna do or both(thats what i'm doing)

now that you have that done you wanna lay tin foil down so that the resis does not stick to the carpet;

i marked off the portion with tape that i will use as the box but it is a good idea to lay fiberglass over the line.

try not to let it some in your house while it's a bit wet my Cat in the pic got all messed up for a day. (damn stonner cat):roll:

here are pics of after i pried the 1st and 2nd layers out now you will see that there is still some tape and tin foil on now i sujest getting most of it off try sand paper or a high pressure blow gun

Now these pieces of wood are used for the rings in the box they are 15 by 15 pieces of 1/2 MDF you can use larger if you want but 1/2 worked perfectly for me.
I used a ruller with the hole in the so i could mark a perfect circle and carved a groove in the ruller where half of the 12 inches are and the inner circle is the depth of the sub that would lay on but you could figure out the dimension here a pic that i used but just went for 12 inch subs

heres pics of the rings after i cut them i just used the dremel and some different bits to get the job done

just keep test fitting them till they go in the subs base

shit that were my wrench went :wink:hell of a time changing the bits in the dremel lol. I cut a bit too much where the black marks are just make sure if this does happen to place this in between the holes so you dont put a screw through that part also mount this the proper way when mounting it onto the box.

next step glue the dowels into the box to mount the ring just make sure to glue the shit out of it si it wont move when you mount it

now that you have it glued on just test fit them in

there lots of clearance also mount the ring to point what ever way you want it i have mine pointing somewhat to the front of the car at an angle

now that cloth i listed you just glue it to form to the box how you want i also glue it to the ring so it molded that as well cut the excess

now next step is to go back outside and pop a whole shit load of resin over this bad boy and lay a layer of fiberglass matting on and let it sit a couple of hours

use the dremel to cut the excess off and lay nore layers as needed

I forgot also to mension that i layed 5 layers of mat on the 1st shell but it may vary just keep checking it and when the flex is gone or you think it is strong enough then you can move to the next step.
Im not done on this final part im only on the 1st layer here and i will take me 2 more days I lay 2 layers at a time after thats all done im gonna pop on some bondo to smooth it off then after that im gonna carpet it :smile:

feel free to pm me if i left something out that you know of

UPDATE:

well last time i posted pics on this thread i had just fiberglassed the last layer of matting and now in gonna toss some more pics out your way!

here i had cut out the opening:

here i test fited a tad bit tight so i just sanded and little bit off in some places:

that green crap is long strand fiberglass i placed it on all the crack on the inside and some weak spots on the outside just for good measure:

now i fishished off with some body filler:
I also test fit it in the box as well, fits like a charm :smile:

here i put in in the car for the first time and it looks awesome!!!!

now i post pics of some of the stuff i used as well:

AND FINISHED PICS

here now i finally took pics of one done and with carpet laid:

Now all i need to do is get some industrial strengh velcro and fasten that from the back of the box to the trunk liner now.
good luck everyone,
JESSE

·
Registered
317 Posts
how did you check to see if the box had the correct amout of air volume for the sub you used? i was going to do something like this but i wasn't sure how to check for volume.

·
Wonder Bread
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lenjaiah said:
nice job!! nice write up. wish i had a space/place to do these kind jobss!!
hey man all i did was do the first layer in my car then pulled it out and did it in my garage just need some place warm and if you do it in the summer you wont have any problems i think

·
Registered
162 Posts
i often take corners hard and with out the box screwed down that owuld be flying in my boot .. velcro is easy but at the speeds i do .. ummm no velcro wouldnt work ..

·
Wonder Bread
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
xlr8r_boy said:
i often take corners hard and with out the box screwed down that owuld be flying in my boot .. velcro is easy but at the speeds i do .. ummm no velcro wouldnt work ..
thats why they made industrial grade velcro that shit wont pull apart

·
Wonder Bread
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
88hondapreludesi said:
no if you make the box right ur completely wrong xlr8r_boy mine I dont have velcro or anything holding it in its just a real tight fit, I could flip my car at like 100mph and the box would never move
he's right it is a very tight squeeze since the carpet extends the overall spare so i needed to jam it in there but the velcro is just a safety mesure

·
Registered
20 Posts
About how much do you think it would cost to make to boxes and was that cotton that you stuffed the box with. Also how did you lay the resin and mat during the first step. sry i don't wanna mess up on the first step

·
Wonder Bread
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nandy said:
About how much do you think it would cost to make to boxes and was that cotton that you stuffed the box with. Also how did you lay the resin and mat during the first step. sry i don't wanna mess up on the first step
you tape onto the carpet and make sure you place garbage bags all around and around the floor as well because where ever you place it it will harden in to a rock then just get a brush or use your hand and plaster it on then just lay the mat thats pretty much it

·
Wonder Bread
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
sleepyH22 said:
i would do this if i hadn't already just got a regular box to hold my 2 10's, good write up jesse
i was thinking the same thing as you but then i saw someone sig here that said why buy a carbon fiber hood so save weight when you pop a 100lbs sux box in the trunk and i was like yeah why fill up my whole trunk with that damn box and now it only weights like 12lbs W/O sub of course and thats each but still to have a box that no one else does now that quite and acomplisment i must say :tongue:

·
Registered
148 Posts
aim the speakers to the ears =) and be carefull with speaker clearance when you're test fitting it. also warn your passangers not to smash into your kickpods ;)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts