Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some you know i am doing the silver and carbon fiber theme with red accents. so far my calipers are red, my valve cover, eventually my red fuel rail and red cam gears, just got new red stitched shift boot and arm rest cover, and my red sparco hood pins (not yet installed - APRIL!)... so i wanted to do my door panels also. and here is how...

now it is a work in progress and luckily i have 2 extra door panels from a base to practice on.

here is what you will need:

your fabric of choice
scissor to cut fabric
tacky fabric glue
dremel/dremel type rotary tool or utility knife
pliers (not in pic)
rubber gloves (to spread the glue)
plastic bond/weld epoxy (not shown $1.97 at walmart)

step 1: remove door panels
since i had removed them a while ago there is no pic to go along w/ this step but it is really easy to do and i'm sure u can find it in the 5th gen resource

step 2: cut tabs along rear panel
the yellow dots are the tab locations. there may be others that you'll find along the way. for these you should use your utility knife NOT the dremel and just cut away. you will later use plastic epoxy to reattach everything.

step 3: separate the parts of the door panel

after all the tabs are cut you should be able to lift the lower portion of the door panel up from the upper portion. it will still be connected at this point but you can see the separation in the pic below

now to separate the 2 portions completely you will need to use either your utility knife if you don't have a dremel or use the dremel. this took less than 1 min using the dremel w/ cutting wheel. you will cut from one end to the other cutting between eact hole (represented by the red dots)

when you get to this point you will need to use the utility knife because you might not be able to use the dremel at the angle you will need to cut.

now separate the two piece.

step 4: remove arm rest portion

now that you've separated the 2 portions take the part w/ the arm rest and flip it over.

underneath you will find several tabs that hold the arm rest to the door pane. use your pliers here and just bend them so that they point straight out.
sorry for the shytty pics of the under side of the arm rest. there are 8 tabs that you'll need to bend.

once all the tabs are bent to face straight out you can pull the arm rest off the door panel. you should end up w/ this:

now you have both pieces detached that will be covered in suede (or the fabric of your choice)

step 5: cutting the fabric
lay the suede face down on the floor or work surface. now take the larger piece of the door panel and lay it on the fabric. now cut the fabric making sure to leave some extra for pulling it tight and gluing.

after you cut the fabric you will be able to use the excess to cover the arm rest piece.

step 6: applying the glue
now take the tacky fabric glue (do not use spray adhesive. it is not durable or tacky enough to hold) sorry for another crappy pic

now throw on that rubber glove and smear that glue all over the surface. try to make it as even a covering as possible and don't leave any gaps.

step 7: apply the fabric
this part is fairly easy but can definitely be messy. (sorry no pics)
after the glue is spread all over the pieces all you need to do is lay it on the underside of the fabric and use your hands (make sure there is no glue on them) to spread and flatten the fabric along the surface of the door panel and arm rest.

finished arm rest:

step 8: putting it all back together
once all the glue has dried insert the armrest back where it came from:

now to attach the upper part of the door panel it will take much patience. flip the top piece (the part that you set aside earlier) and than take the large piece of the door panel that is now covered in suede and and line it up to fit. you will be joining the parts that you cut earlier w/ the dremel and utility knife. here is where you apply the plastic epoxy (no pics as i have not finished yet :biggrin:) use tape to hold it together while the epoxy cures. you don't really need to remove the tape after the glue dries unless you want to.

your finished product should look like this:

as i said earlier this was my trial run. when the weather warms up i will be taking off the door panels from my SH and doing this mod.

i love how it turned out and can't wait to get it installed in the lude.

hope this helps some of you guys out.

DISCLAIMER:
if you fuk up that's just it... you fukked up! lol. good luck, take your time, and be careful. main tip is don't be sloppy w/ the glue.

·
Vrooom PSHHHH
6,486 Posts
Good lord that is beautiful!!!!! I've been meaning to do something like this but just haven't felt very creative lately lol. That came out great dude, great work! Hopefully I can get mine done soon

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good lord that is beautiful!!!!! I've been meaning to do something like this but just haven't felt very creative lately lol. That came out great dude, great work! Hopefully I can get mine done soon
thanks for the rep and the comment bro.

and as i said in the original write up. my lude is silver w/ carbon fiber and some red accents.

here are what the panels will look like w/ the Carbon Fiber Door Handles

·
Registered
243 Posts
Nice man

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice. How many yards of suede did you use to do 2 door panels and 2 armrests?
i only needed 1 yard. it was 3ft. x 60in where i bought it. i recommend getting 2 yards just in case you fuk it up. good luck and be careful. def need to take your time w/ it.
thanks a lot bro

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
excellent man, this is one of the best write ups i have seen on this site. I would do this, but i like my tan/black 2 tone :p

Rep for you

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
very nice writeup. this may be something I will have to try with some dark blue suede or just black. any final pics?
thanks a lot. no final pics just yet. won't be installed for a while. these were extra door panels i had. i'll post up pics soon.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
any way to do that without cutting? im a bit weary of cutting my door panel lol.
as soon as i have some time i will be working on the other panel and for that one i will not be cutting. i will look at the finished product of both and if the non cutting method looks just as good i will modify these directions and repost.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
as soon as i have some time i will be working on the other panel and for that one i will not be cutting. i will look at the finished product of both and if the non cutting method looks just as good i will modify these directions and repost.

thats whats up, ill stay tuned as im kidna weary on cutting my door panels but i really wana get this done lol.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
this is by far the best write up in my opinion
Mod, please move this thread to 5th gen section so we have more readers please. Thx 98bb6sh

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks a lot for the rep guys. appreciate the feedback. my update on the how to do w/out cutting the panels will be added soon. i can't wait til the spring so that i can do this for real on my lude. this is just a test run on some extra door panels that i had. i have to say that i am so happy w/ the way it has turned out.

stay tuned for my updates

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
damn that looks sweet! did it take along time?
didnt' take long at all. i'm still workin on it. only have the 1 door panel done. been so busy. luckily i had the 2 extra door panels. hope to be done by the end of the month. the biggest time comsumption comes from waiting for the glue to try.

i'll post up some more directions and pics of the finished product asap.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts