Honda Prelude Forum banner

DIY 3 Guage Vent Pod

3K views 53 replies 23 participants last post by  Boosted00SH 
#1 ·
So I decided I want a 3 gauge vent pod but didn't wanna spend the 50 bucks that gaugepods.com wants for one, so i figured, why not make my own, im not done yet but once i get back to school ill get everything nicely fiberglassed in nice and flush, I took the pics with my cell phone so they aren't the best but heres what ive done so far.

I started out with a new center vent that i got for free :)

Then got a piece of plywood, traced some circles onto it using a spray can, used a big socket to trace the spaces between each larger circle and started cutting with a jigsaw.

still cutting....

Halfway there....

All cut!!

Time to start sanding

I plan do be done with this by the end of January, it wont look nearly as good as one you can buy, but it should turn out pretty good.

See less See more
#13 ·
alright got it all fiber glassed, ill get going on the bondo tomorrow and should be done by the end of the week
I used sparypaint can tops glued to the back to hold the shape

Gotta wait till its completely dry then ill get working with the dremel to make these circles perfect again

#14 ·
Looking good so far can't wait to see the end result.

#19 ·
Wow that looks great!! I have a lot of free time at the moment, maybe I should try my hand at some custom fiberglass stuff. hmmmm....

#23 ·
awsome cant wait to see it finished

#24 ·
Lookin' good! Great progress! Do you have any previous fiberglass experience?

#28 ·
only a little, I go to University of Northwestern Ohio, don't know if you've heard of it, its a tech school we did a little bit of fiber glassing in a class and made kick panels that's it though. anyone with questions about the school can pm me.

#25 · (Edited)
Did you sand the original plastic center vent material where the fiberglass comes in contact with the plastic, if not you might have a problem with delamination.
For anyone else trying this use 80 grit wet/dry paper to give the plastic some tooth so the fiberglass will adhere better and won't lift or crack.

EDIT: it looks like the O.P. did sand the plastic a bit, I'm glad. The last thing you want after spending all that time and effort is it coming apart or cracking.

#33 ·
That looks great!! Have you done a test fit in the car yet?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.