Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I searched but didnt find anything helpfull so here it goes. When I picked up my car it had no distributor for reasons I am unaware of. I got a distributor from a junkyard. Wasnt a u-pull it but they said it was off a 97 ( mine is a 97, Idk if the dizzys changed year to year or not). Anyway the car is doggy like the timing is off and when you put a timing light on it it looks to be about 8 degrees off (rough guess). I loosened the dizzy and moved it to change timing but the mark on the flywheel didnt move when I moved the dizzy. My Uncle who was an Acura tech in the 90s siad some of their pcms had a jumper harness you had to jump to set dizzy timing. I dont know if this is the case or not. Anyone with any experience with this??? Ive never had to jump one to set timing but I havnt done many because I am a diesel machanic and we obviously dont set ignition timing because there is no ignition system lol. Any help is appreiciated. Really wanna drive this thing for the first time lol.

·
Registered
637 Posts
You cannot change the ignition timing on OBDII H22 eventhough it has the moveable dizzy. The ECU will automatically set ifself. Make sure your mechanical timing is correct first. For example, make sure when you turn the timing mark on the flywheel to the TDC mark, your cam gears should also be at its perfect mark on the head. Also your dizzy rotor should also be pointed to cylinder 1 plug wire lead. Any of these is not correct then you will have off timing. Another thing is you might have the wrong dizzy.

·
Registered
249 Posts
You cannot change the ignition timing on OBDII H22 eventhough it has the moveable dizzy. The ECU will automatically set ifself. Make sure your mechanical timing is correct first. For example, make sure when you turn the timing mark on the flywheel to the TDC mark, your cam gears should also be at its perfect mark on the head. Also your dizzy rotor should also be pointed to cylinder 1 plug wire lead. Any of these is not correct then you will have off timing. Another thing is you might have the wrong dizzy.
^^^ditto, other hondas you can turn your dizzy to advance timing but not the H22.

·
Type-Esss
4,714 Posts
Make sure the sensors on the oil pump are installed properly, and that the plug firing order is correct. Also, you may want to check for corrosion in the cap and coil, that can cause some major problems if its bad enough. If it is in fact a USDM 5th gen Prelude dizzy, with a USDM ecu and properly installed USDM OBD2 sensors, it will set the timing where it needs to be without you having to do anything.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok thanks guys. I didnt really look to hard at my mechanical timing because its factory to my knowledge( only has 61000 on it but i guess that dosnt really mean anything) I was wondering why there wasnt much movement in it and i did notice the bottom hole wasnt slotted but it does allow for a small bit of movement, just thought it wasnt enough. As far as the sensor at the oil pump is it just an mpg sensor with a tone wheel to indicate crank position or what? Im not familiar with the h22 (obiously lol) and im not near the car so I cant look @ it. Thanks for the help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts