Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody,

As obvious, I'm a total n00b here. As the title says, I'm also disabled, which makes finding cars that work well for me a little harder. (seats have to be a good heidth, leather makes getting in and out easier, has to be automatic etc) I'm thinking hard about buying a 5th gen and REALLY need to check one out up close before I commit $$$ and have one shipped from an unGodly distance. I'm in Elkins WV and was wondering if there's anybody somewhat nearby who wouldn't mind me getting in and out of their car/looking it over in general? The closest one I can find for sale, online, is a good 130 miles away & that's not interstate driving, in the winter. Is there a north eastern Prelude club or anything like that which might be helpful? Thanks in advance! Also, feel free to email me direct: [email protected]

PS - the quicker responses I can get the better. pointers towards any other forums that might help me find close 5th gen Luder's are appreciated as well

·
Registered
7,106 Posts
Here and preludeonline.com.

Im not sure if there any clubs near you but welcome to pp.com

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Sorry to say buddy but auto preludes have a very very high tendency to have transmission failure. Might want to consider that when it comes to repairs. 99-01's have a warranty extension (Forgot how many miles/years they are covered up to though)

Of course if your rolling in cash and willing to put up with this then by all means go for it!!

PS. There are companies which modify the clutch pedal to be on the steering wheel (Like a ring) if your a leg amputee.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry to say buddy but auto preludes have a very very high tendency to have transmission failure. Might want to consider that when it comes to repairs. 99-01's have a warranty extension (Forgot how many miles/years they are covered up to though)

Of course if your rolling in cash and willing to put up with this then by all means go for it!!

PS. There are companies which modify the clutch pedal to be on the steering wheel (Like a ring) if your a leg amputee.
Grrr, it seems any cars I'm really interested in have poor ATX's attached to them. :( This belongs/may be answered elsewhere I guess, but being completely new to Preludes and this forum, (signing up on preludeonline right now, thx), is the main reason for failure known? For instance, alot of Mazda's have weak ATX's attached as well. (the 4EAT series, to be specific) The overall design is actually good, they're just inadequately cooled. The factory cooling unit's built into the radiator, thus not being very efficient. Slap a $40 aftermarket job in-line and they're pretty solid, even with FI. After doing a little reading I'm thinking maybe I should stick with Miata's, heh. I picked up a beater as backup, (after more MX-3 probs), and have put 60k hard miles on it in the last 3 years. I'm looking for a newer, (than MX-3's), fun car that's not tooo big, but a little more practical than a Miata. The only thing I came up with were 5th gen Ludes & last generation Integras. I was leaning heavily on the Lude till now, as the ATX Teg's have to be a little anemic & I think I'm tired of the engine swap scene. I haven't given up on Preludes yet, but it's pretty disheartening to hear about the tranny stuff, heh. I figured with a name like Honda.. (for the owner's sakes, I hope NSX's ATX's aren't a mess too!)

About the clutch ring, I've got more going on than a simple amputation, but am interested anyways - do you know any specific companies that do that sort of modification, and/or what the general costs might be?

Also, I'm still interested if anybody's within a couple hours of me and willing to let me check out their car etc.

·
Registered
581 Posts
is the main reason for failure known?
the prelude auto trans was the guinea pig for the then new sportshift technology, essentially a shiftable automatic trans. that is growing in popularity in more mainstream cars.

honda designed the trans. but there were several components that were sub-par and unfortunately resulted in premature failure, some as early as 20 or 30k miles. others havent had any problems, the trick is finding a good one and religiously staying on top of the ATF, service intervals and not using the sportshift mode....period, and even that isnt a guarantee.

there are a few good ones out there but its a crapshoot at how long they'll last. there are several articles on here about it if ur curious and wanna read up on it, just search prelude auto transmission, or auto trans. problems or something to that effect and im sure ull get a bunch of stuff on it.

by the way, if ur still interested, i live in worthington ky, right on the ohio and own a lude, ill let u crawl all over it and check it out, its a 5 spd but itll at least give u a reference pt. as to the room in the car, seating position, adjustability, etc... hell, ill even take u for a drive if u want.

i wouldnt write a prelude off just yet, ive actually heard of a few companies that can modify a manual trans. car for people w/ disabilities. i saw a jeep that had a hand clutch and ring behind the steering wheel for the shifter. pretty sweet actually.

hope this helps, good luck man,

Ace

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
There was a post a loong long time ago about it, I cant find it though :( I'd suggest trying to contact: http://www.amputee-coalition.org/index.html Perhaps they can point you in the right direction. They have an interesting article about motorcycles: http://www.amputee-coalition.org/inmotion/may_jun_06/motorcycle.html All hope is not lost with autos. Im not 100% certain about the restrictions of the warranty extension of autos, but check out this site: http://www.hondatransmissionsettlement.com/php/login.php HOWEVER, I would consider contacting Honda USA directly. They can give you the 100% most direct answer for restrictions. Its very likely that modifications to your car will make it illegal to drive on the street, and very expensive.... For this reason I suggest you stick with a warranty covered auto, and if possible get a Honda warranty extension on it (again, im not sure if it even exists but it is worth a try). Or you can send it to a legitimate company and have it rebuilt so it'll never break (the question again is price). I'm sorry I cant be more specific but perhaps someone will chime in and be able to give you some somewhat local advice.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hi everybody,

As obvious, I'm a total n00b here. As the title says, I'm also disabled, which makes finding cars that work well for me a little harder. (seats have to be a good heidth, leather makes getting in and out easier, has to be automatic etc) I'm thinking hard about buying a 5th gen and REALLY need to check one out up close before I commit $$$ and have one shipped from an unGodly distance. I'm in Elkins WV and was wondering if there's anybody somewhat nearby who wouldn't mind me getting in and out of their car/looking it over in general? The closest one I can find for sale, online, is a good 130 miles away & that's not interstate driving, in the winter. Is there a north eastern Prelude club or anything like that which might be helpful? Thanks in advance! Also, feel free to email me direct: [email protected]

PS - the quicker responses I can get the better. pointers towards any other forums that might help me find close 5th gen Luder's are appreciated as well
Honestly I wouldn't think that a Prelude is an easy car to get in and out of. While the door is big and swings open quite wide, the car and seat are quite low.

The Prelude would be the first thing to go if I had mobility issues.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Not trying to burst your bubble, but i say get an RSX.

Im pretty sure theres a guy who even boosted his automatic RSX on 8psi and is having no issues. The newer sportshift transmissions seem to last much longer without issues, and the RSX is a pretty nice car IMO, and theres tons of aftermarket. The seats sit higher, you can get leather, probably pretty easy to get in and out of. Plus it has a 5 speed sportshift transmission, making it about as quick as an automatic prelude due to gearing

I had a sportshift prelude, and drove it for 20k miles, had no problems, but im sure everyones experience is different

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks for the info everybody, I'll get on it the next time I'm able. Also, thx Ace, I may actually take you up on that. I'll have to check out MapQuest & whatnot. I had a rather massive back surgery 2 months ago, so you might be a little farther than I'm ready to drive yet. (considering I'd have to go home too) As for the companies that modify manuals for the disabled, do you have any more specific info there? I ran into one, online awhile back, but they're scam artists. They want 10 grand for parts & labor. It's innovative, but they're going a little far with a pricetag like that. :x I actually had a guy on the MX-3 boards designing, (and starting fabrication), of a custom system, though the project fell through when he ran out of time.

5spd5thgen
, unfortunately, I'm not really interested in RSX's, though I've tried.. I may have to try again though! haha. The figures are good, (outside of the price tag), but I just can't get a handle on that gaudy dashboard. I didn't realize the automatics had downrated engines till just now either?! :roll: (did a quick Google)

Steve_Si, you obviously didn't see my 2nd post. I'm currently driving a 1st gen. Miata and have been for a little while now. ;) Not noted, but the 7 years prior to that have been spent behind the wheel of V6 MX-3's, which actually work perfect in terms of getting in & out. (from a seat heidth, roof clearance, standpoint etc) A new rear main popped out of my then fresh 2.5L, just 6 months after it went in though, (locked up tighter than fort knox), and I'm pretty sure the ATX was showing first signs of going out, so I thought I'd try and find something a little newer to get hooked on.. (tranny had about 130k on it) Getting in and out of even a Miata is worth the hassle, and I'm actually alot more disabled than the average joe you see in a wheelchair. (I just hide it well, lol) Owning something that puts a smile on my face is part of what makes life good, something I'd figure most car-guys would agree with. To be fair, you haven't seen my chair either, which is small, light, and sits quite low, hehe. I appreciate your concern though.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Also, thx Ace, I may actually take you up on that. I'll have to check out MapQuest & whatnot. I had a rather massive back surgery 2 months ago, so you might be a little farther than I'm ready to drive yet. (considering I'd have to go home too) As for the companies that modify manuals for the disabled, do you have any more specific info there? I ran into one, online awhile back, but they're scam artists. They want 10 grand for parts & labor. It's innovative, but they're going a little far with a pricetag like that. :x I actually had a guy on the MX-3 boards designing, (and starting fabrication), of a custom system, though the project fell through when he ran out of time.
no problem man, happy to help. ive had a few surgeries myself that have left me immobilized for a while, so i can empathize w/ u there. just let me know if u decide to make the trip, its still a few hrs away but it will at least give u a chance to see one up close and get the feel for it.

as far as the additional info on the manual transmission fabrication, this was all i could find right now.

http://www.beneficialdesigns.com/rectech/land.html

looks like a pretty ingenious setup, ill get on the web later and see what else i can find and let u know.

pm me if u decide to come down and ill give u my contact info.

Ace

·
Idiotic Thread Locker!
11,000 Posts
5spd5thgen, unfortunately, I'm not really interested in RSX's, though I've tried.. I may have to try again though! haha. The figures are good, (outside of the price tag), but I just can't get a handle on that gaudy dashboard. I didn't realize the automatics had downrated engines till just now either?! :roll: (did a quick Google)

You may read that the 5th gen Prelude has 200 bhp (5 speed) and 195 bhp (auto). Regardless of what you read they all still have the identical engine with identical output. The only difference may be that they accounted for the drivetrain losses of the automatic? I have never heard anywhere that there was a difference in output on an H22A4 from an automatic v. a manual.

- JL

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
You may read that the 5th gen Prelude has 200 bhp (5 speed) and 195 bhp (auto). Regardless of what you read they all still have the identical engine with identical output. The only difference may be that they accounted for the drivetrain losses of the automatic? I have never heard anywhere that there was a difference in output on an H22A4 from an automatic v. a manual.

- JL
Yes.. drivetrain loss.. that's it.. those are marking numbers anyways. BHP is much less....

·
Registered
2,540 Posts

- JL

I think he is talking about the base RSX having 160hp instead of the 200hp found in the type-s

But the base RSX 5 speed also has 160 hp. So the base RSX has 160 regardless of the transmission

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
J5spd5thgen said:
I think he is talking about the base RSX having 160hp instead of the 200hp found in the type-s

But the base RSX 5 speed also has 160 hp. So the base RSX has 160 regardless of the transmission...
Bingo, sorta.. I see the page I hit had alot of flaws, lol. (must have been pre-model launch. I just hit the first official looking link & didn't pay attention to the date) It said the ATX had 150hp while the manual had 195. Of course that page also had a picture of an "02 RSX interior". I got real excited because I thought, WOW, maybe older ones had a more traditional design. Then I realized I was really looking at an NSX interior - they messed up again, in a BIG way!! (and I double checked the caption, to make sure it said RSX :roll:) I imagine with 160hp the torque's gotta be fairly low, which I could get over if the dash weren't so chunky looking. The base engine ones generally need bigger rims & lowered to look good too, whereas the Prelude has a pretty nice stance to begin with. What gets me, is if Preludes ATX's are so bad, why do they still hold their resale value? I'm seeing equal miled ATX's going for the same as MTX's. I'd think the auto's would be in the dumps, especially with higher miles. I'm running into alot that have 150k or so on em, which means many of them must have gone through ALOT of trannies/rebuilds? Anyways though, I know this belongs in a different thread, (that's already been asked/written), so I'll shuttup, heh. I do have to say, with all the automatics problems, I don't understand why there's no automatic section in the forums. (haven't noticed one here or @ preludeonline.com) MX-3's & Probes have ATX issues and their big forums have a devoted automatic section to help deal with the questions/FAQ etc. miata.net does as well.. (not dissing "Honda" or anything, it just seems like a logical idea to me)

no problem man, happy to help. ive had a few surgeries myself that have left me immobilized for a while, so i can empathize w/ u there. just let me know if u decide to make the trip, its still a few hrs away but it will at least give u a chance to see one up close and get the feel for it.

as far as the additional info on the manual transmission fabrication, this was all i could find right now.

http://www.beneficialdesigns.com/rectech/land.html ...
Wow, I've not run across that, looks pretty slick! I have to wonder about not being able to accelerate while depressing the clutch pedal though.. The amount of force it'd take to twist a clutch seems like it'd be pretty high as well. I'm also definitely interested if you come up with anything about the other setup you mentioned. Also, it's a longer trip to you than the closest Lude @ a dealer, but you're ALL interstate, and a route I know well. (I went to Berea college, just below Richmond)

And again, if anybody else is near or around WV and wouldn't mind me checking out their 5th gen Lude, lemme know! (got one hit but would be great to find somebody closer if possible)

·
Bearderator
8,519 Posts
Here at preludepower there is a thread for automatic transmission woes.

HTML:
http://www.preludepower.com/forums/showthread.php?t=302157
Tells you everything you need to know about getting rid of the auto :)

Anyways from what I can tell heat is definitely an issue when it come's to these transmissions. Keeping your fluid in good shape is a must, as the transmission shifting is hydraulically controlled. There is a write up somewhere on these forums too about installing an after market transmission cooler much like you spoke of with the mazda's ATX. Some people run only genuine Honda ATF, others run a 50/50 mix of Honda ATF/Synthetic, and others still run full synthetic. All of the pros and cons of those scenarios can be found here on the forums, as well as a plethora of knowledge on these cars.

IMO as well 5th gens are much easier to get into an out of than 4th gens. A buddy of mine has a 4th gen as a daily driver and I've had the chance to drive it. I know I'm not ridiculously tall or anything but at 5'10" I can't get in or out of his lude without my knees hitting the dash/steering wheel.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here at preludepower there is a thread for automatic transmission woes.

HTML:
http://www.preludepower.com/forums/showthread.php?t=302157
Tells you everything you need to know about getting rid of the auto :) ...
Yeah, we've got those in the land of Mazda too, but it doesn't help me any, lol. ;) If heat's an issue I'd definitely slap a cooler in there. It's soo cheap & easy. (at least I assume it would be on Honda's too) I'll be searching here in a bit. As for 4th's, I've always liked them, but can't get a handle on that spacey dash. I guess I'm stuck on the traditional look!

I gotta stick this on my thread, not to be annoying, but for those who don't read the whole thread/to keep its main point visible:
..if anybody else is near or around WV and wouldn't mind me checking out their 5th gen Lude, lemme know! (got one hit but would be great to find somebody closer if possible)

·
Registered
433 Posts
love my 5th gen, i really hope you find one that fits your needs and likes, and to see you here more on prelude power!

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Here is a company that sells some kits! http://www.wells-engberg.com/ And someone who has it installed http://www.sp-foundation.org/articles-handcontrols-print.htm Its a relatively straight forward setup. If your good at fabricating things you should be able to make it work. Pending you use proper materials and whatnot. I think the setup shown would be the easiest but you'd have to have your hand there to change gears. Something you'd get use to of course. If you do this, take pictures :D

·
Registered
581 Posts
the lude at the dealer sounds like a good idea. its closer and theres probably not much chance of them shoving the typical dealership BS down ur throat trying to pressure u into buying the car.

if anything happens and ur down this way, ill be here all next wk. (going back to lexington the wk after that for college).

As for the manual setup, ill keep researchin and see what i can come up with.

good luck,

Ace

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
...if anything happens and ur down this way, ill be here all next wk. (going back to lexington the wk after that for college).

As for the manual setup, ill keep researchin and see what i can come up with.

good luck,

Ace
Thanks man. I'm in no specific hurry to buy anything yet, (unless I jump on a rare M-edition Miata I've found, or my current Miata kicks the bucket, lol), and have family right below Lexington, so it's possible I'll be driving right past ya sometime a little later this year. Do you still check your PM's here when @ college?

Here is a company that sells some kits! ...
Good find man, though those are very similar to what I've already got. With some work, they probably be modified into what Ace mentioned above though. My main concern with that setup, is how hard it would be to twist-actuate an automobile clutch?? Seems like that'd have to be pretty tough, and unfortunately I don't have massive hand strength. :icon_frown: I thought of maybe swapping brake/clutch mechanisms, so I'd twist for brake & press in for clutch, but I assume that'd be a pretty firm twist for brakes as well. I'm wondering about some type of electronic assist, though don't have enough electronics knowledge to know what might be up to the task/speed that's required..

97 Type-SH said:
love my 5th gen, i really hope you find one that fits your needs and likes, and to see you here more on prelude power!
Thanks man, I'm hopin so too. They look like a good balance of fun, practicality, & tuning possiblities! This seems to be a good forum as well. Not to dog on all H guys, but I have to admit I was a little leary of what I might be getting into, joining. :redface:

I gotta stick this on my thread, not to be annoying, but for those who don't read the whole thread/to keep its main point visible:
..if anybody else is near or around WV and wouldn't mind me checking out their 5th gen Lude, lemme know! (got one hit but would be great to find somebody a little closer if possible)

1 - 20 of 47 Posts