Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm taking my stripped B20a5 block into the machinist in the morning. There were some bolts still attached I had to remove. I also did a last check over everything. I tried to remove the dipstick tube but it doesn't budge. The bolt is removed and I tried tapping it out from the bottom. No luck.

Am I supposed to remove the dipstick tube? How does it come out?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm taking my stripped B20a5 block into the machinist in the morning. There were some bolts still attached I had to remove. I also did a last check over everything. I tried to remove the dipstick tube but it doesn't budge. The bolt is removed and I tried tapping it out from the bottom. No luck.

Am I supposed to remove the dipstick tube? How does it come out?
you could try and heat up the junction where the two are fused together with a small hand held torch. then go to work trying to free it.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
man i had to tap the shit out of that thing from the bottom to come out! i dont know if that was the best idea but i got it out... i had to use a socket exactly the same diameter as the stick i think it was a standard size

i know im not very helpful but im kinda glad i wasnt the only one!!! good luck trip!!!

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I am sure your machinist would remove it for no extra charge. They can be a bitch sometimes.

·
Registered
9,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, I tried an 8mm and a 9mm socket (deep well?). It was hit pretty hard and I feared the block was going to crack. Heat might have helped. I'm just going to let the machinist do his thing though.

Thanks all. Pics of the clean and worked block will be in my build thread. Linked in sig.

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
man i had to tap the shit out of that thing from the bottom to come out! i dont know if that was the best idea but i got it out... i had to use a socket exactly the same diameter as the stick i think it was a standard size

i know im not very helpful but im kinda glad i wasnt the only one!!! good luck trip!!!
actually thats exactly what you're supposed to do.
sometimes they're in there really frickin good lol.

do not take a torch to it though like the first guy said, there's a rubber o-ring in there and the torch will melt it and make it even harder to get out and cause it to no longer seal. and have fun getting the melted rubber off the block and tube to be able to put a new o-ring on and not get any leaks

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Usually I dont take them out. They can do the machining and cleaning with it there. You could call and ask for sure...but I wouldnt worry about it too much. Also, like said above, normally something small like that they will yank out for ya if its in the way. If your machinist isnt willing to work with you, find a new one.

·
Registered
9,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The shop is closed today. :\ I guess he changed the hours. I don't like working on metal in the cold either.

Monday will hopefully be the day.

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
The shop is closed today. :\ I guess he changed the hours. I don't like working on metal in the cold either.

Monday will hopefully be the day.
you dont like working on metal in the cold? dude, you live in georgia haha. come up to new england in the dead of winter and work on cars haha. meow! rofl

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
lol cold in georgia come on now its 8 here lol but yea you can leave them in there cause there are usally a bitch it get out

·
Registered
9,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The machinist is a really old guy. I just assume he changed his hours for the winter because he used to be open on Saturday.

How about 95*F, eh? You'd be surprised what 95*F feels like in the GA humidity. It's not like the north, even if it got that hot. I used to live in Jersey.

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
we get 100+ temps more than a few times per summer. it sucks if you're working outside doing something strenuous, but its not bad compared to down south. i'll take 100+ new england temps over 95 degree humid temps down south any day of the week, so ya got me there lol

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
my cousins live in vegas(well technically henderson), and when we visit in the summers it gets up to like 120..
makes you really appreciate where you come from, even if its california.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
actually thats exactly what you're supposed to do.
sometimes they're in there really frickin good lol.

do not take a torch to it though like the first guy said, there's a rubber o-ring in there and the torch will melt it and make it even harder to get out and cause it to no longer seal. and have fun getting the melted rubber off the block and tube to be able to put a new o-ring on and not get any leaks
HEY!!! thanks motoxxx!!! im glad i do something right once in a while:Rock:

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
If you have a spare set of hands, my buddy suggested this method and it worked very nicely on mine..

I was tapping with a socket, he put a closed end wrench around it, and carefully twisted it to free it up. It went back and forth a couple times and popped right out.
Went real smooth, but I stress to be careful putting sideways pressure on it, as you do not want to dent/ crimp the tube.

Good luck, I've been taking a glance at your build thread.
Is the the block with the famous unbreakable rod?

·
Registered
455 Posts
When I pushed mine out I tapped the inside of the tube on the bottom (still in the block), threaded a long bolt into it, and with just a couple light whacks with a hammer it came right out. It will also help you put it back in with a slap-hammer/dent puller.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts