Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the previous owner was a cheapo and torch'd the springs to lower the car ( which killed the struts) it literally drags and bounces everywhere in this town. the car in question is an 86 SI. all of the rubber suspension parts are shot as well.

So heres my question. I want to lift this thing. I'd like to throw new bushings in everywhere if they make em at all. and does anybody know what springs/struts I can interchange with? The town I live in has way too many friggin Dips and potholes to drive a regular height car. I'd like to give it that rally car look.. I will also be doing some rather fast off road driving as well.

I would also like to know what clutches are better to go with. I won't be racing the car. Just driving it like its a ferrari.

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
Clutch and suspension

Well look at Clutchnet i highly recommend any of there stuff also while your flywheel is off have it machined lighter and balanced that will help. Clutch net will take any abuse you throw at it and they do mild to wild plates to suit what ever application. Just make sure you test fit to the stock flywheel and have it machine to suit or it might not fit unless you go with ally ones that they do for our cars.

As for suspension you can get bushes from 87-91 Civic or CRX for the front that will fit, the tie rod ones are same the inner lower arm the same but the outer lower arm you may need to pack it out with some washers to fit perfectly but it's close enough, if you want it a bit softer i'd recommend stock lower arm bushes but use the polu tie rod ones at the front still as they help lots with keeping the suspension nice and tight under braking and accelerating. The rears harder to do easier to buy new arms with them pressed in allready but getting the hubs off is a whole different ball game, best thing to do is just check the rears which seem to last forever unlike the fronts and if they are reasonably ok just leave them alone they are quite small, you can change the tie rod bushes in the back but again difficult to get off without cutting through bolts and stuff.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Off-road Rally 'lude

That is different. When you say off-road I'm guessing you mean like dirt road kind of stuff? With anything more extreme than dirt roads you would get high centered instantly. The Preludes are already relatively low to begin with. Ideally what you need is to find some springs that are longer and stiffer than the factory ones. If you could somehow figure out what length and spring rate you need you could probably get some from Eibach or another spring mfgr. Otherwise I would say head out to the junkyard and do some ghetto engineering. Pull a front and rear spring from an 83-87 Prelude and measure the length and diameter. Then I would pull some from an 86-89 Accord. They should be very similar, but the Accords are heavier so will have a stiffer spring. You could also try other Hondas like Civics, Integras, and newer Preludes. Depending on how stiff the new springs are you may need new shocks too. You're pretty much stuck here unless you go totally custom, since all the aftermarket shocks available are pretty much OEM replacements.

If you can't find longer/stiffer springs you could maybe try putting in some spacers. This is how it's typically done for trucks to get 1-2 inches of lift. Just keep in mind that any amount of lift over 1 inch or so will likely put more stress on the CV joints. So don't get too carried away.

If you're good with body work another option might be to alter the fenders and put on larger diameter tires. That would get you more ground clearance without having to alter the suspension. You should try to at least get some OEM type springs and shocks that aren't trashed though.

This could be kinda cool if done well.

C|

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help guys. I didn't think about the c-v axle issue. I might be able to find some that are a little longer that would work, although the angle might be too much for em still. anything Higher than what it is now would be great. I took out a fog light this morning due to a nice hefty dip in the road. Gotta love this place. I think the worst part would be getting the arms to work with the adjustment with out changing the how the tire meets the pavement. last thing I need is a lift with bad camber that blows C-V axles every time I make a spirited take-off from a stoplight. I think I am going to hit a junkyard on my next day off to see what I can Interchange or re-engineer and interchange.

·
Lord Magnum
1,209 Posts
Off road 2nd gen = better than you might expect.

After three minor accidents I turned my old one into a Mad Max project and took it places most people would be shocked to see a Honda in, including no road or path type areas. I caught lots of off road air and had the most fun I've ever had behind the wheel of that beast.

Search the 2nd gen area for bushings or energy suspension and you should find some threads with part #s for aftermarket bushings that are compatible. Several of the fellas here have weeded out compatible parts, and I have some, but have yet to install.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Unless you totally jack the thing up I wouldn't be too concerned with the CV joints. The biggest thing to watch is to not extend them beyond their normal working angle. That shouldn't be a problem since the shocks will limit downward travel even with different springs. Just keep the lift to within 1-2" of factory height and you should be fine. Even getting back to factory height sounds like it would be an improvement over what you have now.

C|

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
knifemind, What size rims are you using in that picture? about that height would be perfect.

alright. Speaking of c-v axles I gotta replace one of those soon too... Why people put cheapo autozone axles in cars I dont know.

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
Off Road lude

I'd say get some stock DX springs, and start from there maybe look at slightly bigger diameter tyres to help out as well, the CV's should be fine as long as you don't go too mad on getting the car higher, loosing weight will help too!!
Maybe some spacers in between the shocks and pinch bolts that hold the shocks in, you can get coil over sleeves 50mm for the backs and get some racing springs then the back can be as high as you like then but bare in mind you get less camber the higher you go at the back. Some Civic Coil over kits might work on the front possibly or teg ones or just find a cheap way of increasing the stock height spring.

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
thats not the body kit one is it knife?

·
Lord Magnum
1,209 Posts
Those are 14" (I think 1st gen integra rims), and it was all stock susp except replacement struts.

And no, that was my 86, and it is in Prelude heaven. I stripped it down to bare frame to keep any possible parts I might want for the 85, and we recycled it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I really like those. Looks like I'm gonna hit a junk yard soon.
Now to find a bull bar for the front end. I threw two off road lights on the hood for now.. Those stock headlights SUCK.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
I really like those. Looks like I'm gonna hit a junk yard soon.
Now to find a bull bar for the front end. I threw two off road lights on the hood for now.. Those stock headlights SUCK.

Headlamps have improved quite a bit since the mid 80s. Chances are your lamps are many years old and are probably weak. I bet some new ones would help.

C|

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
a new set of sealed beams probably wouldnt improve it by much. I use the car to deliver pizzas. as of right now i have a total of 7 lights on the front. There is going to be 4 more once finished. (2 headlights, 2 off road lights, 1 fog light, and 2 lights built from busted HID housings)

Right now I am looking for rims in the 14"-15" range. I think next week after the clutch replacement I'm gonna hit a junk yard and start digging for interchange parts for the suspension.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts