Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
no i didnt crash her...but my electrical system is dead though,nothing works accept for the hazzards and the lights flip up but dont turn on. ...the plastic electrical connector i used to connect the main wire(the biggest white one) on my engine harness that i spliced while doing the swap, melted off last nite. It was the first time i drove her for a real long time since i fixed her up. To make a long story short, that plastic connector melted off and both ends of the wires welded them selfs to the underside of the intake, so my battery light comes on and i poped the hood and check my grounds and batt cables...all is good. I start driving agian and once i get into my neighborhood everything goes dead, i check under the hood agian and i see where the 2 wires welded themselfs to the intake so i try to move them off and the sparks start flying a i hear a big pop like there was a big short somewhere...now i have no idea what im doing when it comes to fuses and im pretty sure i just blew most of them up, so how do i know which fuses blew?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
just my luck... when she died the sunroof and drivers window were all the way open...and now it begins to rain :(

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
pull what ever fuses you suspect may be bad, look at it, and if the little piece of metal inside the plastic that connects to both blades isnt whole, then its blown.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks man... the 70v was blown, i replaced it and everything is back to normal, thanks to those who helped

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
make sure you got those wires fixed or its just going to happen again

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Pull the alternator and have the voltage regulator tested. Not such a common problem, but what you are describing sounds like an old accord I saw that would melt wires + blow it's headlight bulbs.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
man the 70 amp is realy the last resort! a fire could start very easily even with less than 70 amps flowing through a short circut - fix the wiring issue immediatley as it will just happen again and again, and i do know for a fact that it will.... im an electrican,please take my advice!

good luck man!

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks alot guys, so what would you recommend i use to connect the wires? and keep in mind the wire is like 1/4 thick and gets the full heat from the engine block, obviously the plastic connectors just melt away so what could i use?

·
Premium Member
4,656 Posts
thanks alot guys, so what would you recommend i use to connect the wires? and keep in mind the wire is like 1/4 thick and gets the full heat from the engine block, obviously the plastic connectors just melt away so what could i use?
any style crimp with heatshrink tubing would be fine, but something caused the wire to get hot enough to melt the plastic. all electrical terminals have a ul rating and are designed to handle heat. you may have another issue elsewhere in the line that you have not become aware of yet. as others have said remove the fuse and battery and go over all of the wiring looking for potential heat marks on the wires that are visible and the ones that run through the convoluted tubing. if your engine harness is hosed, there is a place on ebay that sells used engine harness's for 3g's all of the time. is this an s or an si, i have an s engine harness that is unmolested if you will need it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts