Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dashboard brake light has been on as long as I've had the car. The actual brake lights in the back only turn on when i press the petal, and all the brakes function properly. What could be causing the dash light to be stuck on?

·
Registered
710 Posts
It was low but i filled it up a week ago, no change in the brake lamp. To be clear its the light below the little car diagram that shows when doors are open.
Do you have a spoiler? I had this issue for over a decade when I had a spoiler installed back in 1994. Nobody at the local Honda dealership could figure out how to get it to work properly. I finally figured it out about five years ago, only applies to cars with spoilers though. Let me know.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Do you have a spoiler? I had this issue for over a decade when I had a spoiler installed back in 1994. Nobody at the local Honda dealership could figure out how to get it to work properly. I finally figured it out about five years ago, only applies to cars with spoilers though. Let me know.
Not too sure if he may have a spoiler, but I do have a spoiler and have this light on also. I haven't had time to take a look at it yet but I would like to know what you did!

·
Registered
680 Posts
Not too sure if he may have a spoiler, but I do have a spoiler and have this light on also. I haven't had time to take a look at it yet but I would like to know what you did!
Coming from my experience at the dealer, it is one of the little boxes in the tail lights. The left side box is brown and the right side box is black. These are the bulb failure monitors. They often fail and cause false reports of bulb outages. The boxes will fit in either side, but they are different so make sure the proper color is on the proper side. Get a new sew from the wrecking yard and you problem will likely be solved. Although they look the same, they are different from the 88/89 to the 90/91. Also using the incorrect bulbs can cause the fault light, consult your owners manual for the proper bulb number/wattage.

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
Yeah I was going to mention that Tony but I am pretty sure what zippy was referring to is people adding the stock spoiler from ebay or salvage yard incorrectly causes this too. We have a history of that. I would have to search but too busy right now. I am sure zippy will come back with a response.

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
Just to eliminate the absolute simplest potential problem, are both filaments intact in all four bulbs? I had it before where the taillight filament was burnt out but the brake light still lit up. It confused me at first because I didn't have the headlights on when I was checking the brake lights. Once I turned the headlights on, the dead bulb became obvious.

·
Registered
710 Posts
It's a load resistance change when the LED spoiler is added. Simple fix is adding:

10 Ohm/25w Load Resistor for Fix of LED Hyper Blinking / Warning Signal Light

I added one of these resistors right next to the trunk light where the spoiler splices into it. I even mounted it to the metal (using small screws) under the rear window close to that trunk light. I used Posi-Taps for my splicing but now splicing clips are included so I would just use those.

I followed the instructions (pictured in that link above) and it worked perfectly, no more brake warning light on the gauge cluster! The warning light still worked as well on the dash, like it should've all those years ago.

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Check your switch at the emergency brake lever. If it is not operating correctly the system thinks the emergency brake is applied and sends a signal to the brake warning light to the dash light.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Yes I do have a spoiler, it not very large and looks stockish but idk. There is a break light in the spoiler.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Check your switch at the emergency brake lever. If it is not operating correctly the system thinks the emergency brake is applied and sends a signal to the brake warning light to the dash light.
If I pull the e brake a second light turns on properly.

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
If you have a factory 3rd brake light behind the rear glass then it is not a factory installed spoiler. None of the factory installed in japan spoiler cars for usdm had rear glass 3rd gen brake light. It was however a dealer option so it it is possible that it was installed correctly by a dealer and not your problem. If it was installed by previous owner it could be your problem and I would have to check but I think the factory and dealer installed spoilers had thicker torsion spring bars for lifting the trunklid. That probably wasn't changed either if Honda did make different ones.

I have never looked at the taillight dead light sensor circuit boards up close but I can given time and see if they are rebuildable. Might just be an old capacitor if they have one.

Edit: I just looked and it looks like the spoiler cars from factory did have a different part number. Probably slightly thicker bar for the added weight.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Cuda, you're right there were two OEM versions of spoilers for our 3rd gens. I ended up getting the spoiler for the 90-91 back in 93 which had the longer row of LED's. The 88-89 had the shorter two rows of LEDs and the spoiler was thicker as well. This was the spoiler I should've gotten but wasn't told there were two spoilers available. I'm sure the spoiler for the 88-89 was heavier being thicker.

Ha, we've covered this before: 90-91 Rear Spoiler w/ long brake light??

Make sure the bulb is not still connected to the rear brake light if under the rear window, like Cuda said installed spoilers from the factory didn't have this light.

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
No reread I was stating there are two versions at least of the torsion rods that pop up/open the trunk lid once it is unlocked. These are horizontal rods that run underneath the rear speakers. There are ones for cars that came from the factory or presumably from dealer option too that are thicker then the cars that came without a spoiler. Two different part numbers. This is because of the added weight of the spoiler on the trunk lid. Although I will admit when parked on a good slope or hill it is not enough and I know mine was installed in japan. It is 91 si w/4ws so it was standard. Plus it was a one owner when I bought it.

EDIT: #20 and #21:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
UPDATE
Taking the 4 brake bulbs out and cleaning them/the inserts fixed the issue.

I wonder if LED's would have the wrong resistance and cause the light to come on. im looking into getting bright ass LED reverse lights.

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
Nice, glad you got it fixed!

The warning light is only for the brake bulbs. (Turn signals have the fast flash warning system.) LED bulbs work fine for the reverse lights. Be aware some don't fit into the holes in the housing. You can either enlarge the holes or just make sure to buy LEDs that are small enough in diameter to avoid that problem.

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
Andrew has stated and did the work and found some turns? maybe back up? in his build thread from amazon. I haven't bought them yet but will in the future. The same ones are available on usdm amazon too.

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
I just have LED reverse lights on this car. I decided not to do turn signals since I had them on my old car and they were dimmer than stock bulbs. However, with mainstream brands like Sylvania starting to market LED 1156's I might have to give them another try. It's not a priority for me right now.

·
Registered
680 Posts
UPDATE
Taking the 4 brake bulbs out and cleaning them/the inserts fixed the issue.

I wonder if LED's would have the wrong resistance and cause the light to come on. im looking into getting bright ass LED reverse lights.
yes. L.E.D.'s will cause the light to come on and the blinker to blink fast. I believe someone stated earlier what resistors to use with L.E.D.'s to keep the light out.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts