Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i know many 3rd gen owners are enjoying the summer weather with their lude out, but my question is..

who in the past couple years (2010-present) drives their third gen everyday, or uses it as their DD?

have had mine less than a month and curious

add more info like what you do in prep for each season, what weather you encounter and any details you like!

thanks PP

·
Registered
158 Posts
I've owned mine for over a year now. Daily drive it. It's my only car right now. I sold my EF hatch to keep the prelude. Didn't need 2 cars. I've had a laundry list of problems just like everyone else with the lude.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
My engine broke a rod hope it doesn't happen to yours. And my alternator messed up. Only 2 little issues I had

·
Registered
791 Posts
i daily drove mine for over a year until i needed something i could put my gf soon in. if i could afford it i would still dd it and just have my civic as a family car. i miss driving my lude so much.

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
All my 3Gs are daily driven.. well they get a few days off here and there.
Not sure what the question really is.

Prep involves keeping it in the running condition it should be in. One is well looked after and the other is barely minimally maintained, neither is less reliable.
Weather involves whatever mother nature decides upon from frozen to very hot.
Mileage on some of mine have been 175k or so, one was 340k miles and was driven every day. Lowest miler I've had is my current one at 70k now. My daily driver/track car now.

I guess you're seeking out how reliable these cars are for dd duty, as reliable as you could want if maintained/serviced correctly.

·
Registered
9,584 Posts
I've been daily driving my 88 Si for going on year 3. Drove the 88 S daily for 3 years before that. Drove the 88 Si for 3 years before that. Daily drove an 89 Si for 1.5 years before that.

Yeop, been driving 88-89' ludes since I first started driving. I've owned other cars (Cameros, Fords, Buicks, Accords) but Preludes are the only cars I really want to drive daily.

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
At 340k km, I am still fairly confident in my lude's reliability. I don't harbor delusions of indestructibility, but the average CUV driver poses a much bigger threat than the passage of time.

We don't have very cold weather here but do have occasional very slippery wet snow, so I have snow tires I throw on when it's that time of year. That's about it for seasonal prep.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Mine is daily driven when there isnt snow on the ground or I feel like driving the wagon if its running. but the first 3 years or so I owned it the lude was driven everyday rain or shine, or a bunch of snow

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All my 3Gs are daily driven.. well they get a few days off here and there.
Not sure what the question really is.

Prep involves keeping it in the running condition it should be in. One is well looked after and the other is barely minimally maintained, neither is less reliable.
Weather involves whatever mother nature decides upon from frozen to very hot.
Mileage on some of mine have been 175k or so, one was 340k miles and was driven every day. Lowest miler I've had is my current one at 70k now. My daily driver/track car now.

I guess you're seeking out how reliable these cars are for dd duty, as reliable as you could want if maintained/serviced correctly.
ehh not so much seeking how reliable the car is. i understand that an older car will always have it quirks. just seeing who else out there uses a 3rd gen prelude as their DD. seems like almost a dying bread. also looking for more tips or tricks to keep mine running strong for years to come :)
....atleast untill i keep mine boxed up during chicagos winters.

I've been daily driving my 88 Si for going on year 3. Drove the 88 S daily for 3 years before that. Drove the 88 Si for 3 years before that. Daily drove an 89 Si for 1.5 years before that.

Yeop, been driving 88-89' ludes since I first started driving. I've owned other cars (Cameros, Fords, Buicks, Accords) but Preludes are the only cars I really want to drive daily.
haha well thats just awesome

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I dd mine cause my other car is a mistubishi and just doesn't feel like the lude. I have a b21 in her and hat how Much oil I use. Getting pretty good MPG at 26 and just do maintenance as needed/recommended

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

·
Premium Member
16,843 Posts
I dd my yellow lude for 9 years and then swapped the H23 and drove it for another 2 years, then it got destroyed while on work time, and transferred all the salvageable parts and now its only a garage queen.

I prefer driving the lude, but I will not chance getting into another accident with the new chassis again.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I daily drive mine, I put between 400-800+miles a week! 120 miles a day for work for three days. Then driving other places. And I go to the beach on most weekends which is 200 one way, and 200 back plus probably 100 miles while I'm at the beach.

·
Bearderator
8,519 Posts
Mines a DD, but not sure for how much longer. She's past 220k on the odo right now, and electrical issues are now coming up. Rust is bad on it too.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Of course, drive it to work on days when I don't feel like riding my bicycle and on weekends. What's the point of having a Honda if you can't DD it?

·
Registered
242 Posts
My lude is driven 100+ miles almost everyday depending if I have work or not. This lude an my other lude (before I sold it) I just make sure the maintenance is always up to date.

Oil change every 3k miles + oil filter - full synthetic
Bosch platinum plugs every other oil change.

183k miles on my DD lude so far.. And she's about to get a fully built b20a5 soon :)

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
I've been daily driving my lude for over a year now. I've been plagued with issues caused by previous owners just abusing it. Now that it's been mechanically restored, it takes long drives and commutes easily. I too am starting to experience electrical issues. That aside, they're great daily drivers. A treat every time you take them out.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts