Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have an 01 Prelude. I bought the car used and it only came with the one black key. My dad took my car to the golf course and lost the lost the F...ing key while golfing! This was 2 weeks ago and we've done everything to locate the key with no success. So I have the bright idea to order a chipped OBDI P28 ECU from phearable.net thinking just switching thinking I could just get a door key cut at the dealership and it would work in the P28 ECU I ordered. Come to find out the immobilizer is actually in the ignition not the ECU. Has anyone else had this problem with losing all their keys? So and OBD2 to OBD1 conversion wont solve my problem? I will still have to go fork out $500 for a new immobilizer and new set of keys before I can do my OBD2 to OBD1 conversion? Please help me out guys, what are my options here? Thanks for any info you can give me

I kinda butchered that middle sentence heres how it should read:

I have an 01 Prelude. I bought the car used and it only came with the one black key. My dad took my car to the golf course and lost the lost the F...ing key while golfing! This was 2 weeks ago and we've done everything to locate the key with no success. So I have the bright idea to order a chipped OBDI P28 ECU from phearable.net thinking after switching ECU's I could just get a door key cut at the dealership and it would start the car with the new P28 ECU I ordered. Come to find out the immobilizer is actually in the ignition not the ECU. Has anyone else had this problem with losing all their keys? So and OBD2 to OBD1 conversion wont solve my problem? I will still have to go fork out $500 for a new immobilizer and new set of keys before I can do my OBD2 to OBD1 conversion? Please help me out guys, what are my options here? Thanks for any info you can give me

·
Registered
222 Posts
The only thing that the OBD2 to OBD1 conversion will allow you to do is to tune the car and allow you to add performance parts/engine work to your vehicle and not have the ecu default back to its factory settings, or run in "safe mode". It has nothing to due with the key/immobilizer settings or the security system.

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
Get a key cut by honda using your ViN... Super simple

·
Registered
854 Posts
if you dont have the original key then they cant cut a new one that starts it... sorry but you have to get the ingnition re programed or whatever

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
well.. do that too.

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wish it was that simple but according to the Honda dealership if you lose all the keys they have to install a new immobilizer system and reprogram a whole new set of keys. The quoted it at around $500.

·
Registered
25 Posts
when i bought my car it only came with the valet key, and the only problem i have with that is that i cant open my trunk with it, but whateva. the honda dealership here quoted me at ~200 dollars for a new "learner set" (thats what they called it) and the real key.. thats all i got for ya

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
the immobilizer is a system ,the key , immobilizer control unit under the dash and the PCM need to match or no start if you loose all the keys the immobilizer unit will need replaced $$$ but if your using a P28 then you just have to jump the starter cut part of the immobilizer unit it's under the driver's dash it small black unit says Honda Lock on it. if I remember correctly if you short the lite blue and the grey wire the starter should crank and will start with the P28 just unplug the unit as the key light will keep blinking hope it's a manual because the P28 won't control the Auto trans. another thing you can do is bring your registration and go to the dealer and ask for the immobilizer brake code it's a 5 digit code you enter with your E-brake to allow you to drive to the dealer and has to be entered each time the car is turned off for more then 10 mins. if you was in california I can recode your immobilizer unit to your new coded keys

·
Registered
210 Posts
isnt there a red key?

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Um...that's why it's easier to make a SPARE SET!!!!

I have atleast 3 copies of all my keys....ATLEAST!

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
guess what butter? I have one too man, i'll give it to you next time I see you.

stereo dude really knows his shit, props man.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Slo98lude said:
when i bought my car it only came with the valet key, and the only problem i have with that is that i cant open my trunk with it, but whateva. the honda dealership here quoted me at ~200 dollars for a new "learner set" (thats what they called it) and the real key.. thats all i got for ya
I always wondered if you opened your car doors with the valet key if you could just pop the trunk from the inside using the button or does the car memorize that you used the valet key and won't let you do it?

·
Premium Member
2,207 Posts
You didn't get a red key when you got the car? Thats the learning key, and is used to make copies. Never use it in the ignition.

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
HELL YES! I found the key! I tore my dad F-150 apart and low and behold it was under the seat. Man thats $500 bucks I can spend on mods now. It's the black key, you mean you cant get a copy made from the black key only the red one? The previous owner must have lost the red key because it wasnt included when I bought the car. Thanks for the help anyways guys.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Learn how to hot wire cars.

Probably the cheapest alternative.. lol..

Other than that, give Honda a call and shell out the necessary cash. Your dad is the one who screwed up.. he'll be paying for it. Next time run to Home Depot and spend $5 to make a copy or two.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts