Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, so the other day, while driving, my car started running really poorly, so I pulled over to find oil all over the passenger side of my engine bay. It came from the cylinder position sensor, which is connected to the exhaust cam. It seems like oil leaked into the sensor, causing it to fail. I removed the plate on the housing and cleaned it out as best as I could, but it continues to run extremely poorly and throw black smoke from the exhaust, though no engine light is on. I then got to thinking that this sensor probably had some kind of dielectric grease on it or something, but it wasn't in the how to section on servicing this component that I could find. The contact point on the rotor looks slightly worn, and I cant help but think that was from me running it dry. So here comes my question: if I remove this component, replace the lip seal and o-ring, file and gap the contacts, and apply dielectric grease, should this component function again, or will it need replacing from all the oil entering the sensor? Any advice or troubleshooting tips are more than appreciated. I can only find this component on ebay for a large sum Canadian, so I'd rather not go that route, though I also cannot find the lip seal for sale anywhere that ships to Canada... If there are generic seals for sale that solve this like with the o-ring I'd like to try that. This is my daily driver, so I want to get this fixed sooner rather than later.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts