Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been having this idle issue where the car's idle drops after like 15-20 minutes of idling (so fully warmed up and running fine, and then like clockwork idle drops). I've checked and replaced virtually every other component that it could be. I now think it may be the CYL sensor.

I checked the resistance when it was off and cold, and it was within spec, but at the top of the acceptable range (top is 1 kOhm, mine was at 0.9 kOhm). I then ran the car until the idle problem started and unplugged the CYL sensor while it was running. The problem corrects immediately. I then turned off the car and checked the resistance again, and it was at 35 kOhms.

I took it apart and I do see some oil in there. This is common since the shafts on these wear out. I replaced the seal using the thread in the FAQ, and sealed the housing with some silicone. What I think might be happening is that I did not stop the oil leak as per the FAQ, but I did a good job sealing the housing, preventing oil from draining out of it. I see oil staining just on the bottom half of the interior wall of the housing, so I suspect it is filling with oil to the point that it starts to touch wires, the rotor and pick up, and this screws up the signal it sends to the ECU.

Does this sound plausible? Is the resistance I am seeing at running temp normal? Would an interrupted CYL sensor signal cause the idle to drop like this?

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Does anyone have experience when this sensor starts to go? What happens if the gap is too large? What happens if there is oil between the pick up and the rotor?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts