Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
H22 All-motor build (non-Prelude...)

June 2020 UPDATE
- Engine is back from machine shops, but the block is going back soon for more work (it's my first build; I assumed some things were basic enough to be automatic service, when they weren't). Car also needs a manual transmission conversion.

Dec. 2018 UPDATE - Went through the thread and cleaned up a lot of unnecessary junk. Trying to keep the focus on the engine build and not so much on the Accord. I joined this site for the H22 info, and feel a bit like I'm poking a stick at the focus on Preludes. The engine is something most people on here can relate to, though.

/ / / / /

The chassis is a '93 Accord EX wagon. I used to have a sedan that I had swapped a JDM H22A into, and actually later went shopping for a 4th or 5th gen Prelude to serve as a daily during this build, but somehow ended up in an RSX. The goal with this build is about 245 whp/200 lb-ft naturally aspirated, but of course I live at 5,000ft+ elevation, so we'll see what my chosen parts actually yield. Lots of delays have kept putting this on pause, but in 2020 I'm finally closing in on getting it running.

Electronics:
- Hondata S300 w/Phearable base map (to be dyno tuned, of course) still need to pick up
- AEM gauges: UEGO, EGT, oil press., fuel press.

Intake:
  • K&N Apollo intake system for 70mm pipe
  • AEM 70mm OD aluminum tubing for custom routing
  • DEI gold heat tape; so far used on oil pan, but debating wrapping the intake pipe
  • Professional Products 68mm Power throttle body for ITR, polished
  • H22 Euro-R/Type-R intake manifold prepped by Rosko Racing (68mm port match)
  • Hondata thermal intake manifold gasket
Fuel:
  • Walbro 255lph pump w/install kit
  • Rosko Racing rail
  • Acura RDX 410cc OE injectors & pigtails
  • AEM pressure regulator
Head:
  • Ishino/Stone (OEM) top-end gasket set
  • ARP head studs
  • Supertech machine hardened valve locks
  • Supertech titanium spring retainers
  • Supertech 79lb valve springs
  • Supertech valve seals
  • GSC Power-Division B-series manganese bronze valve guides
  • Supertech black nitrided dish valves
  • New OEM valve spring seats
  • Skunk2 Pro 2 cams
  • Skunk2 Pro Black Series cam gears
  • OEM manual timing tensioner conversion kit
  • Skunk2 cam seal
  • Skunk2 "Skunk2 Inside" VTEC solenoid cover
Block:
  • Closed-deck JDM H22A
  • Fel-Pro complete bottom-end gasket set
  • Wiseco 11.5:1 pistons (re-sleeve, of course; one of my stock bores is scratched)
  • Eagle H-beam rods
  • ARP main studs
  • ESP urethane mounts w/low-profile rear bracket
  • ATI street damper
  • OEM balance shaft seal retainer
  • 4Piston ported OEM oil pump still need to pick up
  • Block heater
Exhaust:
  • PLM HyTech knock-off 4-2-1 header (yup, I've got two to compare on the dyno; I expect the Spoon will perform like a DC)
  • Vibrant 1197 EGT bung, stainless
  • Vibrant 10355 merge collector, stainless 2.5"
  • Vibrant 60804 "turbo" flex pipe, stainless 2.5"
  • Vibrant 1194A O2 sensor bung x2, stainless
  • Vibrant U-J scrap bends, stainless 2.5"
  • Summit Racing 4' scrap straight, stainless 2.5"
  • Catco 6906 cat, stainless 2.5"
  • Vibrant 2.5" bottle resonator & 2.5" Ultra Quiet resonator - will experiment with both for sound
  • Summit Racing 2.5" V-band connections x3
  • Vibrant 2630 2.5-3" transition ("reducer")
  • Kteller 3" stainless/mandrel piping
  • Vibrant Street Power muffler, 3" in/dual 3.5" out

^ The bay is eventually going to be painted this Toyota Quicksand-like color; the car will have just as much show as go.

·
Registered
8,088 Posts
Not bad man. I'm not really a fan of more doors, but I love cb 2 doors w the flip out 1/4 windows.

The bay didn't look riced. Looked clean. In to see the route you're going. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
Wooo moar doors! Always kind of liked CBs even thought about buying one instead of my Civic.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The subject of my keeping the Accord and not getting a BB6, as I am very often tempted to do, came up in another thread, but I didn't want to derail that one: To me the BB6 looks great... every now and then; I see it more as a car to focus on just the performance. There doesn't seem to be much you can do with the looks of the car without making it worse, and even with tasteful mods they always seem to be missing something. Whereas the CB I can do a lot more with and get more of a sense of pride in calling it my own - and at least with my own tastes in car styling, they can look good all of the time when done right.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
i used to have a 92 with an h22, it got stolen. that last one you posted with thr bronze wheels looks very good.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Awesome, glad you're part of Cb7tuner.com. Im also a member there. Any plans for a 5 speed swap???? Im also automatic and have a H22 auto LSD transmission that Im waiting to put in soon.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Pretty cool cars, I worked on my buddies a few times, after I bought his WRX. It actually ended up with quite a few of my ludes old parts on it, would have loved to put an H in it!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Any plans for a 5 speed swap????
Do you have a build thread or anything on CB7T? I'd love to check out your car.

I was considering a conversion, then realized getting a coupe has several advantages, so I'm just going to get one of those with a factory manual, and move all my mods over to that car. I definitely need a manual though, this engine is too much fun and it's kinda painful not beating the cars I should be :laugh:

Thanks for all the feedback, guys!

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Do you have a build thread or anything on CB7T? I'd love to check out your car.

I was considering a conversion, then realized getting a coupe has several advantages, so I'm just going to get one of those with a factory manual, and move all my mods over to that car. I definitely need a manual though, this engine is too much fun and it's kinda painful not beating the cars I should be :laugh:

Thanks for all the feedback, guys!

Very true, thats why I purchased the h22a auto LSD with its shorter gearing and not too mention limited slip is a cool feature too...:) Of course it probably still wont be as quick as the manual but oh well. Currently I own a 4th gen lude H22 with H23 auto trans. I dont have a build thread in either forums but my profile name on there is Blubb2.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Haven't been on for a while, and a few things have happened. The Accord was giving me trouble, so I sent the body to the junkyard and kept the H22 for a custom rebuild, as well as a few of the other odd parts I wanted to keep... I'm getting another CB... I NEED another CB in my life!

So I bought a base-model RSX to cruise around in while I put money into the H build. Yes, I'm now making monthly payments on a car, but it's more reliable than another old Honda would have been. I was shopping for a Prelude SH and was only let down with the ones I went to look at. For some unknown reason, the thought of settling for a base never crossed my mind until after this purchase... dammit!!!

Regarding my H build, I have already purchased all of the gaskets for the engine, a mix of Fel-Pro and OEM Ishino/Stone, and a 2.5" Vibrant Ultra Quiet resonator and flex pipe will arrive in the mail tomorrow. The engine is already 100% disassembled. My goal here is 240whp or so, we'll see what my planned parts pump out.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Progress on the H build has been almost non-existent, but I have picked up some parts. Here's the sum total so far. Intake is pretty much complete; I just need the pipe from the TB to the filter, but that will be custom and therefore needs the car to route. The exhaust is the main focus now, and is just shy the rear muffler and a 2.5"-3" transition. The story behind that is that the exhaust will be 2.5" from the header collector straight down to the gas tank, where it will expand to 3" for two 90* bends around it; theory being that a 2.5" bend doesn't flow as well as a 2.5" straight.

- 1997 JDM long block
- AEM wideband UEGO digital gauge
- AEM EGT analog gauge
- K&N Apollo intake system for 70mm pipe
- DEI gold heat tape 2"x30'
- Professional Products 68mm Power throttle body for ITR, polished
- Euro-R intake manifold prepped by Rosko Racing (their full treatment, with 68mm port match… I’m working on polishing this myself)
- Bisimoto thermal intake manifold gasket
- Acura RDX 410cc OE injectors & pigtails
- Rosko Racing "Euro-R + RDX" fuel rail
- Ishino/Stone top-end gasket set
- ARP head studs
- Supertech 79lb spring & titanium retainer set
- OEM manual timing tensioner conversion kit
- Fel-Pro complete bottom-end gasket set
- ESP urethane mounts w/low-profile rear bracket for future RBC intake manifold
- Spoon Sports stainless header primaries (polished this myself)
- Downpipe 2.5" collector enlargement
> Vibrant 10355 merge stainless 2.5"
> Vibrant 60804 "turbo" flex pipe stainless 2.5"
> Vibrant 1197 EGT bung stainless
> Vibrant 1194A O2 sensor bung x2 stainless
- Catco 6906 cat stainless 2.5"
- Vibrant 2.5IDx18" resonator
- Summit Racing 2.5" V-band connections x3
- Kteller 3" stainless/mandrel piping
- '92 Accord service manual
- '94 Prelude service manual
- EuroExportInc specialized valve spring compressor tool

The gist of what's left is 11.5:1 compression (re-sleeve), Skunk2 Pro 1 cams, and a ton of supporting parts to make the entire engine as strong and reliable as possible. Believe me when I say every bit of the engine will be touched. I’m hoping for roughly 245whp. We’ll see if my chosen mods pull that off; if not I’ll be swapping out some pieces. I know for sure I'll be getting a PLM Bisi-rep header (after the car is running) and convert it from a 4-1 to a 4-2-1. I'll be honest there and say I just want it for the looks; besides, there's no way it'll make less power than the Spoon primaries + OEM downpipe. I’ve pulled a complete 180 from my previous desire for a coupe - I have the RSX, after all. Not only am I putting this engine into an Accord wagon, but I’ve decided to import a RHD chassis now that the 92-93 models (I guess that’d be 91-92 in Japan?) will be 25 years old and legal for hassle-free importation. Waiting on engine completion for that, though.

I chose a wagon for the practicality factor. I’ve read enough of people having to give up their projects because family/life got in the way. That’s not happening with me. This will be a car that offers room to grow, and I plan on making it comfortable enough for road trips.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
H22 progress update: the exhaust system is complete!

Forgot to add the 2.5"-to-3" expansion in the photos, but from the block out:

> Spoon Sports header primaries
> EGT sensor bung will be welded to cyl. #3, just off the head flange
> OEM downpipe (for now; if you've got an aftermarket dp that might bolt to stock primaries that you're looking to get rid of, let me know!)
> Vibrant 2.5" merge collector
> Vibrant 2.5" flex pipe
> Vibrant bungs for factory O2 sensor and wideband A/F gauge sensor; placement to be determined on-car
> Summit 2.5" V-band clamp #1
> Catco 2.5" cat
> Summit 2.5" V-band clamp #2

> The middle section is where some experimentation will be going on, looking for that perfect sound. At the moment, I have two 2.5" Vibrant resonators to try: their standard bottle res, and their Ultra Quiet. If neither is to my taste, I'll start by finding a longer bottle resonator, and go from there.

> Summit Racing 2.5" V-band clamp #3
> Vibrant 2.5" to 3" pipe diameter expansion
> Kteller 3" mandrel-bent tubing
> Vibrant Street Power dual-tip muffler (I really hope I can make the exhaust sound nice with this on, it is such a beautiful piece!)

Everything is stainless, and everything will be polished, all in keeping with my desire for longevity on this build.

The new focus is the head. I've been sitting on some things, I'm waiting for a few more minor pieces in the mail as I type this, and the rest should be in-hand by the end of December; January at the latest.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Yes it is. Accords are nice. I bought 1990 accord a long time ago and that thing got me around for 300k miles before it finally died. I bought it with 100k miles and it lasted till a little over 400k with regular maintenance

1 - 20 of 43 Posts