Honda Prelude Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok im broke as fuck and i wanna drop my car. I dont have money to buy coilovers or new springs. I was wondering whats the worst that can happen if i cut my springs to drop it about 2 inches or 3. Will anything be damaged?

·
Registered
54 Posts
dont cut them, heat them with blocks under your car so the body can rest on how low you want them, be careful - thats what my friend did with his civic, turned out pretty bad ass

·
Registered
67 Posts
I dont know about heating em up, but back in the day when i was broke as fuck, i used to cut em, and that works very well, you just need the formula, half a coil= one inch ride hight. Have fun.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for that formula 2fast that gona come in handy. I Plan to cut them this sunday. Im guessing i need a spring compresser so that they dont shoot out when i take the bolts off from the top.

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
your ride is going to be suck ass when your done..

just save money and do it the right way..

they loose their tempering when you modify them in any way....

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
rudeludenotmeanthough said:
your ride is going to be suck ass when your done..

just save money and do it the right way..

they loose their tempering when you modify them in any way....
^ yeppers hes right....do it right the first time so you dont have to do it again.....and take the hint "back in the day" people used to do it....nowadays we know the reprocutions from doin it

·
Donates his big Member
2,229 Posts
I chopped my springs!

Only because my spring compressor broke and I needed to get them out!

·
Registered
54 Posts
heat them, with a blow tourch thell get hot and *sag* put blocks under yer car so it sags onto them and then let em cool but dont make em to hot or thell sag reallly bad, my friends 99 civic came out lookin hot

·
Registered
750 Posts
BB6LudeSportshift said:
heat them, with a blow tourch thell get hot and *sag* put blocks under yer car so it sags onto them and then let em cool but dont make em to hot or thell sag reallly bad, my friends 99 civic came out lookin hot

and it rode like a bag of shit probibly.

cutting springs is rice it will cost you more in struts then it wouldto buy the proper shit. it is definitly not advisable to do this. SERIOUSLY

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
I agree.

Cuttign springs is all well and good if you know the spring rate. Know the spring rate you want. Know the amount of drop per coil.
And can get them all right with the stock springs and the cutting.

In other words.
Forget it.
As people have said it is a cheap and nasty way to lower your car and make it drive like a bag of crap.

As for heating them up to lower it.
WTF?
That will almost certainly fuck up your dampers.
The only safe way to do that is to take them off the car.
And then it will still not be worth the time and trouble if you value the ride quality.

·
2ludes 1s2000
10,675 Posts

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
http://www.prelude3g.com/ theres a whole write up on it. dont do it cause you could cause something to break and need to spend the money anyways.

·
Kickass truck missed
6,583 Posts
cut springs are not the way to go, but its not the horror story everyone is saying.

you can cut a 1/2 a coil and it will still ride ok. 1 coil is the limit IMO. never cut more then 1 coil off a spring.... any spring.

cutting a spring shortens it (we all know this) but the problem is that taller springs are usaly softer and allow more travel, softer ride, etc. when a soft spring is cut (to lower the car) the spring is no longer tall enough to keep the car from bottoming out and bouncing. this is why buying a shorter 'performance' spring is far better. the shorter spring has a higher rate and even if the car is lower it bottoms out less (or never).

ive heard of heating springs, but ive also heard it messes with the rate, the spring becomes too soft. but ive not lowered anything this way. i lowered an older chevy truck by cutting the front springs and blocking the rear. it worked really good. but not as good as buying the proper lowered spring, and it was a big truck, so handling was never high on the list.

·
REST IN PEACE
16,451 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.