Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been restoring an 89 Prelude 4WS. So I started looking for replacement mats and came upon this thread that lead me to Lloyds mats, but also to a no longer available mat that had Prelude 4WS written on it and I decided I wanted them before realizing you can’t get them. Lloyds cannot print Prelude on a mat, they can put the Honda Logo, but not Prelude, go figure. That lead me to creating a font that mimicked the Prelude font and getting a custom embroidered patch off Etsy. Ok lets get to the how
Mats –
Ultimat Custom Carpet Floor Mats
Lloyd Ultimat Mat: UM1 Ultimat 4 Pc Mat Set ($129.90)
Mat Color: 126 Graphite (126)
1989 Honda Prelude
Model Feature: Si
UM1|3364360|401||126||||||||
Font – My font is based off Conthrax with changes to make it closer in style to the original Font
Meet Google Drive – One place for all your files
Patch – Any embroider place can probably do these, just ask if they will accept a custom font. The first one I asked on Etsy did, but can probably be done local as well. The patch itself is 2” x 10”
27908


The hardest part was removing the carpet pile from where I wanted to place the patches, actually the hardest part was slicing into my brand new $130 mats. I can’t stress this enough you could ruin your mats if you mess this up, so attempt it at your own risk and go slow if you do.

I placed my patches 7.5” from the bottom of the mat. I attempted the method below and found the tape moved around too much, but possible duct tape might hold better.
27909


Eventually I found that just starting in one spot (not next to edges) and cut out the pile from that spot and that will allow cutting the pile from the side rather than digging down through it slowly. I used a combination of small utility knife (dollar store) and a window scraper. I tried hair trimmers, but the pile is too thick. I did find that trimmers worked great for cleaning up the edges once you are close the patch fitting. This will take some time (about 1-2 hours) so I recommend doing it in sections and not trying to do it all in one sitting. I found myself getting sloppier the longer I did it.

27911


1) Using a razor cut out the pile to the white grid part (DO NOT Cut into the white grid of the carpet!!!)of the carpet in the middle of where the patch will go. Small cuts that cause fraying in the white grid are not too bad, but should be avoided if possible.

2) From here start cutting the side of the pile to keep a clean cut close to the white grid of the carpet. You can use the flat blade razor, but he angle tends to lead to cutting the white grid. I found that extending the utility knife most of the way, placing it parallel to the white grid and sawing the pile worked fairly well. I used the flat razor more when I was close to the edge.

3) Keep a tape measure on the carpet (see pic with tools) so you don’t and up crooked.

4) Work on the bottom of the space to be cut first, get that straight line set before doing anything else, this allows you to adjust a little if you make mistakes.

5) Now do one of the sides and as you get the hole close to the patch height start placing the patch in to check for fitment. I would put it down and slide it into the bottom corner to ensure no pile would end up trapped below the patch. You can also hold back the pile at the top of the whole to help the patch sit down.

6) When cutting the hole you can make some small mistakes and the carpet will hide it well once the patch is in, but try to keep the long lines as clean as possible.

7) Work your way across the top continually fitting the patch into place

8) Once you have the entire hole cut out I used a beard trimmer, but any hair trimmers should work, to clean as much left over pile from the white grid surface. I also used it to help straighten the lines. If you cut too far at this point its probably better to leave it rather than expand the whole line. It should now look like the pic below. The patch should sit relatively flat now without pushing up from leftover pile below.
27910

I used weather strip adhesive I have lying around, but you could probably use a bunch of different adhesives, just make sure they wont damage the patch. If you zoom in you can see I had put the adhesive on already when I took this pic.

Again I placed the patch in on a diagonal (bottom of patch touching mat and top tilted up) to avoid catching pile under the mat. Then hold back the pile at the top of the whole and place the patch down. Make any adustments you need and then place something on the patch to keep it weighted down. I used a kettleball and small dumbells, but you want to have as much of the patch weighted down. Cutting a board to just smaller than the patch would be ideal.
 
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Top