Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm at it again....This time is is a full trunk enclosure (hence the title).

There are two 12" alpine type s subs, and an alpine mrd-m605 amp. The the space above the amp between the speakers, we are going to cut out "prelude". behind that there is going to be a tank with a bubble wand, and leds to light them up. (It is hard to explain...you'll see when we are finished) It will be completed by/before may 20th, which is when the car show here is.

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
that is going to be one sick system. post pics asap. so that we can see whats going on with it.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Clean3rdGen said:
....hes not....you win some you lose some...
ahem...SHE's not... :turn:

Yeah, after this, groceries go in the back seat. When my boyfriend gets his 'stag running, it will be the 11 second 5.0, completely stripped grocery getter! lol...things are a little backwards!

here are the updates:

and me working :D

We just started this today so we have all weekend to work on it. The resin is drying now, once that dries we will start the fiberglass and bondo!

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
the sickest thing is is that ur doing all the work ur self. Im sorry if this sounds sexist in any way but u dont see many girls doing that kind of custom work. or custom work at all. thats the sweetest part all together. what is it that ur put down first and then are putting over it now. why is it purple.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Niice shit

Wish I woulda fiberglassed my trunk, but woulda been a lot of work trying to get the proper displacment for a ported box =\

edit: err.. Did you build and enclosure behind the front panel of fiberglass? If not, I hate to say it, its gonna sound like crap...

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Well, I am not doing the work ALL by myself. My boyfriend does a lot of the work, and I just do what I can. Some things are just one person steps, so I can't really help even when I want to. At the same time though, I do a lot of work. He is the brains and I am the brawn. lol

The purple is the fleece. You strech fleece over the wooden frames, using hot glue to secure the fleece. Then, you resin over the fleece. This makes it hard and helps to keep its shape. The pic of me is where I am putting the resin on. After you resin, you then fiberglass. We made mine to be removable. So, we are fiberglassing on the back to save us sanding in the later steps. So, you do a couple layers of fiberglass, and this makes it really strong. We are going to add supports though because two 12s and an amp are pertty heavy and we dont want the fiberglass to break. Then, we will sand the resin on the front to make it smooth. Finally, we will put the liquidy bondo on the front for the final finish. And then paint!

Soooo... that is the basics of the process :D

Towlieee said:
edit: err.. Did you build and enclosure behind the front panel of fiberglass? If not, I hate to say it, its gonna sound like crap...
We will after we get it fiberglassed

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here is todays work:

we are making it removable, just in case. (I don't know of what, but we just though it would be best). Looks like crap now, but it will get better! :D

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here is the latest on the trunk. Not much has happened since last week. It has been raining every night, and since we work outside, the glass had to go on hold. Now the fleece covering the speaker rings and amp box are cut, and right now I am just putting some more layers of glass on for strength. It looks like it may rain here soon! :( Hopefully tomorrow night there will be a lot more done and I will post pics then.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, now an update with pics. We got a lot done tonight. We were able to begin bondo and cut out the prelude...

scoring the "prelude"

Traced lines with sharpie and cut with dremel

All cut out. The letters are "jack-o-lantern" style now, the middles of the letters still attached. We will remove them if we can get the tank to work the way we want it. The tank will go behind the prelude. It will have a bubble wand, and LED's to light it up. We are putting 70% rubbing alcohol in the tank because of the very low freezing point (it gets into the -20's here), and it wont mildew or anything.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I will probably spend maybe $3 on rubbing alcohol, it is $1 a bottle (the tank is REALLY tiny, probably only 1/2 gallon). And, windshield washer fluid freezes here! Rubbing alcohol's freezing point is (i think) -50, and washer fluid is -20.

·
Registered
513 Posts
looks good but a couple of questions
how big are the bubble goin to be? small enough to fit though the 'prelude' holes??
and what about driving around and over speed bumps, wont the rubbing alcohol/whatevers in the tank spill all over the place?
but i still cant wait to see it done its lookin really cool

·
Registered
671 Posts
kokanee27 said:
looks good but a couple of questions
how big are the bubble goin to be? small enough to fit though the 'prelude' holes??
and what about driving around and over speed bumps, wont the rubbing alcohol/whatevers in the tank spill all over the place?
but i still cant wait to see it done its lookin really cool
There will obviously will be a cover on the tank, people dont drive around with regular fish tanks on there dash, do they?:)

1 - 20 of 87 Posts