Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure what led me to do this project but the more I read about this car after purchasing it from the auction the more I wanted to make this build a reality. The lack of expectations from other car enthusiasts in the Honda community really turned me on to this swap. I love the 3rd gen lude but don’t understand why this car never got the love it deserves. Keep in mind I am not a professional builder, master fabricator, or master technician. I just have a passion for cars. I have had an Evo, DSM, Audi’s, and other Honda’s. I never personally invested so much effort into a project like I have in this one. So with that said enjoy the progression as this will be a project I will finish and try to feed regular updates to those interested in following it. I am anticipating it will take about 3-4 more months before it is road worthy.

$300 Auto Auction Purchased from Copart Portland
34014D02-EF3D-4687-997D-C16EB9F63A83.png

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Phase 1 The Motor:

Got a 2000 Honda CRV
B20Z Off a friend for free with no compression in Cylinder 4. He said it was a head gasket.
I just wanted the block so I tore it down and find a chipped valve. Sold the head and moved on.

Here is what’s in the block:

-Billet Aluminum MainGirdle
-Kings Rod Bearings
-ACL main bearings and Thrust Washers
-Skunk2 Alpha Forged H-Beam Rods
-YCP 84.5 High Comp Pistons 12:1 (machine shop broke my better RS Machine ones I originally sent)
-JE Rings and wrist pins
-ARP main studs for GSRs to work with the girdle
-ARP rod bolts
-Type R OEM oil pump
-GSR oil pick up, windage tray, and oil pan
-Shaved deck for higher compression

5ADC36C7-480B-4FF9-A633-D8D14D73AE1A.jpeg
9444931B-0FC6-4742-BFC9-F755549158E5.jpeg

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,715 Posts
I already made the swap kit for this build.
I am currently working on the AWD kit for this chassis, so its not that no one has not done anything for this car, its that most 3rd genners are broke.

I made the H/F swap kits, traction bar with skid bar to protect the bottom end of the motor and tranny, lip kits, I got Ksport to make us a specific kit in 2007, I made a custom powersteering reroute line for the Bastard B motors and all currently supported motor swaps that I make kits for.

I make a one off H2b mount kit for our chassis and currently slowly working on the K24 swap into the chassis.

88-91 Prelude B20b/z swap

1FunRyd - 88-91 Prelude B20vtec

The reason its not so supported is because that it does not share anything with other Honda's except for a few bits here and there which means absolutely nothing in the engine swap game for Honda's.
So because of that, most ricers who pick up this chassis think its cheap to just grab a 3rd gen and not know its true history of how super unique the car really is.

Once they find out, they usually try to act like they knew what they were getting into and try and sell as if they were done doing what they wanted for the car.
When in fact they know 0 about it and got slapped in the face with reality and said "What???!!!! There is not cheap swap kits and suspension and lips for this unique Honda that looks good but is too expensive to support???"
And then they sell and move back to civics...lol!!!!

Welcome to the community, I hope you are seriously ready for this because it will take your months to even years to get this thing to where you want it.

If you want to purchase the already made and support parts for this swap then contact me.

Sean

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sean,

Before I even started buying the parts I started reading and reading and reading since I didn’t even wanna pretend I knew anything about the car. I am fully committed to making this thing work. I did actually read your write up and reached out via FB to see if you were still doing this swap kit a month ago maybe? Can’t remember.....but so far just getting the motor finished at the machine shop, sourcing a JDM GSR tranny with the LSD, then moving on to teardown. I will certainly reach out to you again as soon as I’m done with shaving the engine bay and paint. I gotta decide what I wanna keep too as far as heat, A/C, power steering, and so on. Thankfully this thing is not a daily so I don’t have any pressure to rush it. Just a matter of time and money to get things done with the family life and work. Appreciate your feedback and I can absolutely see where your coming from. 3rd Gen ludes aren’t too popular around here at least I never see them. I will keep the relevant updates coming soon for any that are interested

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
BDB582F4-0864-4604-AFE5-35A94925F70D.jpeg FA70A901-6897-43F5-A1DA-53279610852B.jpeg

Block is back from machine shop.

Balance, bored .020 over, decked, and assembled.

Would have done my own assembly but I got the hook up from the friend that works there to do it on the side.

5EA6D84D-C82E-43DC-A117-695E4124795A.jpeg

Sent of my cylinder head next
B16 PR3-4.

It’s already built and ported with about 700 miles on it from the previous owner. He cracked his blocks cylinder wall putting too much boost through it. Got the Obd1 dizzy, vtec solenoid, and his LSVTEC kit with it.

Here’s what’s in it already:
Brian Crower Duel Valvesprings and Retainers
Ferrea Valves
Supertech valve guides, keepers, and seals
Crower 63403-2 Stage 3 Cams
New Cometic MLS LS/CRVTEC head gasket for the .020 over
VMS Adjustable Can Gears

Will prob replace the seals and guides just for insurance and I will be doing away with the OEM LMAs and switching to the Skunk 2s. My engine builder specializes in the head work so I asked him to maximize all of its potential since this will be an N/A build. Sorry do not have more pics of the head but will once it’s back I will do more step by step assembly with plenty of pics.

Lude motor pull coming soon as well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
View attachment 27068 View attachment 27069

Block is back from machine shop look nice.

Balance, bored .020 over, decked, and assembled.

Would have done my own assembly but I got the hook up from the friend that works there to do it on the side.

View attachment 27070

Sent of my cylinder head next
B16 PR3-4.

It’s already built and ported with about 700 miles on it from the previous owner. He cracked his blocks cylinder wall putting too much boost through it. Got the Obd1 dizzy, vtec solenoid, and his LSVTEC kit with it.

Here’s what’s in it already:
Brian Crower Duel Valvesprings and Retainers
Ferrea Valves
Supertech valve guides, keepers, and seals
Crower 63403-2 Stage 3 Cams
New Cometic MLS LS/CRVTEC head gasket for the .020 over

Will prob replace the seals and guides just for insurance and I will be doing away with the OEM LMAs and switching to the Skunk 2s. My engine builder specializes in the head work so I asked him to maximize all of its potential since this will be an N/A build. Sorry do not have more pics of the head but will once it’s back I will do more step by step assembly with plenty of pics.

Lude motor pull coming soon as well.
Are you Manuel???

Yeah man it is. Will be swapping to a JDM GSR Trans with LSD.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ahhh ok. Yeah you hit me up in August but never heard back after that.
Dang that long ago. Yah had to replace the motor on my Audi so funds got redirected for a bit. Back on this project now so should be reaching out in the next few weeks for pricing on the mounts. The old motor comes out next week.

·
Premium Member
16,715 Posts
Dang that long ago. Yah had to replace the motor on my Audi so funds got redirected for a bit. Back on this project now so should be reaching out in the next few weeks for pricing on the mounts. The old motor comes out next week.
Whats your status?

I ask because I just ordered new material for the B-Series swap kits.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For anyone keeping track of this I know I have been silent a couple weeks on updates. Head is nearly finished at machine shop. It’s looking great. Ready to complete the assembly of the motor once it gets back. Got me a GSR gates timing belt and water pump kit as well as some RC 440 CC injectors. OBD1 high impedance. This should do more than enough for fuel on pump gas as well as E85 if I go that route. Just ordered the engine and tranny mount kit courtesy of 1funryde. Thank you very much making this swap possible man! Still haven’t gutted the engine bay but i have about 30 day lead on the mounts anyway. Here is a couple pics he F0E8F159-5783-4BCF-8B45-376E39678CBC.jpeg B825D5A7-D574-478D-880A-0A253A366821.jpeg took for me at the machine shop.

·
Premium Member
16,715 Posts
For anyone keeping track of this I know I have been silent a couple weeks on updates. Head is nearly finished at machine shop. It’s looking great. Ready to complete the assembly of the motor once it gets back. Got me a GSR gates timing belt and water pump kit as well as some RC 440 CC injectors. OBD1 high impedance. This should do more than enough for fuel on pump gas as well as E85 if I go that route. Just ordered the engine and tranny mount kit courtesy of 1funryde. Thank you very much making this swap possible man! Still haven’t gutted the engine bay but i have about 30 day lead on the mounts anyway. Here is a couple pics he View attachment 27114 View attachment 27115 took for me at the machine shop.
Oooo pretty....:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts